with the somewhat recent "panel selector" feature, i'm finding quite a few modules have dozens of redundant images. Can there be a mechanism to help clean these up? (ie a remove a duplicate image)

I had this happen to mine. You can push the code to a new Atmel chip but it may require you update/recompile sketches from the code on GitHub

Logic
Random Voltage
Sample and Hold

I have one. You must email Zerosum Inertia (module entry creator) here or on MW to purchase.

The point of not straight out deleting them is so that other users can make the updates to their rack with the correct module. I always include a link to the current listing so that it's even easier to find. Often the duplicate is seen and added by others as well.

this is the 3rd fucking time I've had to change this on the Doepfer a-126. Can an admin step in and tell these motherfuckers to stop reverting the name update to remove "(discontinued)" and pay attention to the goddamn field that is there for that exact purpose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the edits spurred the rant about had this field set already - ie Doepfer stuff. A quick search yields that 24 or 37 with the word discontinued in it, have this field set.

I agree it's a community effort. That's the point, really. There is quite a bit of effort to be had without people added to the the pile. (duplicate entries, incomplete entries, person modules not marked as private, etc).

I personally updated the field on 250+ modules. There are some that are manufacturer locked but generally the major manufacturer stuff is marked properly.

There is a field "Product Lifecycle" that allows you to mark a module as discontinued. Use that. You can even filter on it. It was created for that exact purpose.

If you are completely new to sound synthesis, I would recommend starting with a used/low-cost synth or groovebox or even some basic synth software prior to jumping into modular. It's an expensive and complex place to start learning the basics. You won't have everything you need to make entire sounds (aka full "voices") unless you get a ready-made system. As a true beginner you'll get much more out of an all-in-one machine. A crawl->walk->run sort of thing.

If you are deadset on starting directly with modular, a Moog Mother-32 (or another semi-modular) may be something to look at. You'll outgrow it as a stand alone but you can use it to start to build your modular system.

Also, the manuals for most stand-alone synths assume the user has no prior knowledge. Most of the time they will have an introduction to sound synthesis. Even downloading a manual for a "virtual analogue" synth and reading the introduction will help. Most module manuals (IF they even have one) assume you know the basics already.

yeah, when someone creates a new duplicate that is very obviously not new. i mark it as duplicate, provide a link to the proper module and sometimes insert a random weird picture. (hopefully they will laugh) and hopefully the other users that added it will move themselves to the correct one. (less administrative burden on MG)

Bought a Dwarfcraft Yep module from @MogwaiSamurai . Good sale for me.

I found the official info on the internet archives but my time is limited right now. Perhaps someone with more free time can take the next steps? I've updated a couple modules but some of the graphs in the descriptions didn't carry over. Not sure if embedded graphics/links in the description body is an option.

At any rate, at least here is a link to the info I found for others that may be searching for it (last good snapshot):
https://web.archive.org/web/20121220045901/http://www.ear-group.net/earhome.php

It may also be new idea for folks searching for information on other defunct manufacturers' modules to try the wayback machine....

The output on mine is set to an inverse-saw function with a cycle time of about 2-weeks. it's getting me by for the time being until I can be a better one. I hear the single version does works better than the dual version as the one half tends to leach off the other. Wish this had some external ins though.

Has anyone found a way to get it to self-oscillate yet?