yo dawg, i've heard you like synths so i've put 3 synths in your synth haha nicely done what a project, so jealous ;P

for passive multiplication i would never waste rackspace but use things like http://www.upbeat.ch/shop/media/images/org/mult-patched.jpg instead.

maybe add some vca to be able to modulate things?

attenuverters are also always nice to have.

i would 1) start with an bigger rack than you think you'll need because experience will lead to expansion ;)
and 2) add more vca's ;P

its in general a good idea to start as small as possible modulewise and let then the rack guide your way to the next modules one at a time.

seems like you have thought of everything you need in a complete startout-system.
i see vco's, vca's, filter, mod sources and a sequencer so that will make sounds for sure =)

the only advice i can give you is start as small as you can (module wise, a big case is nice ;D) and then let your system guide you to the next modules.

maybe you an use my little starter rig i am currently building as an inspiration:
ModularGrid Rack

i tried to fit as much basic features as possible into a 2x104HP makenoise skiff.
my plan is to get this finished and then get a big ass studio case and expand from there ;)

intellijel quad vca, befaco hexmix vca, Mutable Instruments Veils, Happy Nerding 3xVCA, Zblob VnIcursal VCA, ALM Tangle Quartet are some nice vca's to choose from.

since you've already started i think your rack will guide you to your next modules just fine ;)

i think your rack is a little light on vca's.
also, attenuverters seem like an essential function to have a few of.
do you have already thought about switches and how you could incooperate something like the doepfer A-151 into your patches? seems also like an nice basic building block to have.

do you already know that yarns can do sequencing?
you could get an happy nerding 3xVCA instead of those two seq's.
if you want to spend rackspace for multis get buffered ones, for passive multiplication just use stackcables or passive inline mults like those: http://www.upbeat.ch/shop/media/images/org/mult-patched.jpg

another tipp: get a bigger case than you think you'll need.

as a noob myself i dont know much about those two full-voice-modules since i am more interested in building a full voice myself out of smaller modules but i can give you two tipps:

• do you want to modulate something? if yes you'll need an mod source like lfo/eg and an vca.
  • wogglebug and ultra random analog are very popular random sources afaik. have you already looked at them?

ah i was just stupid only thinking in midi xD
of course you can utilize every beatstep sequencer simultaneously over cv in your rack =)

before i typed the last post i was thinking in anticipation about how i will be soon able to sequence 4 things with my digitakt over MIDI. xD so here the mixup in my brain xD

i plan to also get into soldering (finally xD) with eurorack, do you maybe have some inspirations of first modules to solder if you dont have much soldering skills already? xD

i thought maybe i can do a https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/transient-modules-2m-mixer-full-diy-kit/ or a https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/zlob-dualvca-kit/ or a https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/meng-qi-dplpg-full-diy-kit/ xD

if i were you i would think about the feature overlap between clouds and morphagene and if i really need two similar tools in my first two rows.
if one of the two is enough for you at first, you could use the space to get maybe some attenuverters, switches and some logic to spice up your patch possibilities.

i am too inexperienced with all those different forms of noise and all the modules that offer a noise output to give you really good tipps here ;)

since the rampage has no attenuators like the maths, it very much likes living near an Happy Nerding 3xMIA or 4MS SISM or Triatt or something. Pams New Workout packs a lot of envelopes and lfo's into a small package, maybe have a look at it.

when planning for an digitakt (which is a nice idea btw.) you could maybe get a little light on those samplers? and maybe use the space of that tiptop one and pico drums and pico seq for something else?
(with your yarns you can utilize 1 or 2 or 4 midi tracks of the digitakt in your rig over midi, no need for more sequencers imho)

maybe you can fit an disting mk4 into there? very useful multi purpose module for small systems.

also: VCA's (yes you can really never have enogh of them)
Zlob VnIcursal VCA, befaco hexmix vca, intellijel dual/quad vca, tangle quartet, veils etc.

added/changed some things.

things i currently own:
2x makenoise skiff
yarns
rubicon
3xVCA
3xMIA

so i wont change up these anytime soon ;)

things i want to get next:
dixie + ultrafold

further ideas for the other modules?

as a companion for the beatstep maybe take a look on the yarns. it could utilize 1-4 of the beatsteps sequencers instead of just 1.

also the saying goes "you can never have enough vca's" and thats true ;o) you will need an vca for EVERY single parameter you want to control the depth of, so one can generally not have enough. mixers are just vca's without control voltage.

also look into attenuverters like triatt, 3xmia, spo etc. and think about where you could use one.

I've had a mother 32 for about a week with not much chance to play yet

Spend more time with the mother, naturally you will hit limitations like not enough vca's or mixers or attenuators etc...
just buy what you are missing and let your rig evolve on its own module for module is usually the best advice anyone can give you, just listen to your rack it will tell you what it needs.

I don't know how you will play the thing

his mother32 has everything on board
but research the mothers quirks to not get suprised by buggy behaviour. it has some weird things going on like no proper grounding and other quirks that are nice to know beforehand so you dont run into trouble.

i think that would be an nice startersystem for me, any thoughts? would you do something different?

ModularGrid Rack

it will be sequenced by an digitakt and recorded into cubase

Thread: dragon sound

that i am waaay to inexperienced with all those modules to give an valuable opinion.
and no one seems to give a fuck about this forum, dont expect any answers.

try the muffwiggler forum for real answers ;)

Thread: XAOC BATUMI

yes unless you need that 808-style kick and snare generator that the peaks has ... batumi cant do kicks ;)

as always the right answer is: the module that does the job you need done best.
if you dont know what job you'll need a new module for, then you dont need a new module =)

what do u think, do i have enough envelope generators? that rampage makes only two i suppose? should i get an Quadra/PEG into the mix?

Thread: Sonenrack

looks solid, maybe add some more mixer/vca for all those voices to be able to modulate/mix them better.
also, passive mults waste hp in my opinion, just get stackcables or "fly" your passive mults between the cables =)

longtime lurker, now i want to get real ;)

since i have room for it i'll start with an 9U 126HP Synthrack Case to not have to think about space for a long time and dont get that "i want to fill that hole" itch, i just want to focus on exploring the modules and make music.

i'm researching since a few weeks where i should start, here is my draft of Stage 1:
ModularGrid Rack

my main workflow atm is around cubase and i like to sequence my standalone boxes (minitaur, dx200, xoxbox) with midi out of an NI maschine vst which runs in cubase, so i have a nice controller on my desk which i can play live ;)

with yarns, the modular should connect to my momentary workflow.

since i can do a lot of the standard substractive sounds good enough with serum on my computer, i want to focus on more experimental stuff and things i cant do with cubase+vst synths.

to the main questions:
- is this a good starter rig?
- have i thought of everything? (enough attenuators, vca's, something else?)

to forecast some direction:
if i have explored the rubicon/dixie combo well enough and have spent my time discovering what i can do with the rampage i think about exploring rene, rings and sisters in Stage 2 as well as adding a nice random source and a quantizer:
ModularGrid Rack

somewhere down the line i really want a morphagene but i dont want to have it sitting alone and doing nothing, it needs friends to play with first =)

PS: if you click on my name you can see a totally crazy "stage3" that i wont be able to afford in forever and will change for sure before i will get to it. just if you are curious in which direction my personal interests have taken the researching-trip so far. maybe you have nice ideas and inspirations for me to research? you know crazy modules that i maybe havent thought about? please tell me ;D

Thread: Camuel

what about your opinion on the mutant bd9 vs the modbase? i only know its sound from the xbase09, is it compareable? i am new to eurorack ;)

u sure you dont need a morphagene in there somewhere? xD

noob here, can one buy those black/golden versions of the makenoise modules in the normal stores or do i have to be in some special vip lodge that wears funny hats to get one of those?

i am such in love with makenoise stuff my first ever rack will be mostly modules from them ;P

where would that control voltage to drive the pitch of that vco come from?
u sure you have enough cv to drive modulations? (+ attenuators to be able to dial it in?)
you sure you never want to sequence your drums with midi?

if i would build a drumrack i would do it something like this: ModularGrid Rack

noob here myself with zero hands on experience but also currently planning my first rig, some thoughts:
what you can do with that pro output could very well be handled by the pc you connect that es-8 to, also some of the yarns features can be done with the es-8.
maybe add some sequencial switch like the A-151 for more evolving patches in the freed space? just an idea ;)

modules i found worth researching in general:
- batumi (also look at expert firmware features) because who does not like lfo's?
- disting mk4 (nice multipurpose for a small system)
- pitch quantizers like the ADDAC207 to get usable musical pitch-cv out of any modulation source (out of that maths for instance, or utilizing lfos as arps is also nice ;D)
- maybe some little gate-logic like the Pico Logic from ES for even more complex gates, looks like it could be best friends with to your tempi.

something deeply personal/individual:
- i just fell in love with the sound of the SSF Ultrafold and if i am not wrong i dont see any wavefolding capabilities in your rig? maybe listen to sound demos if you like dirrrrrty you may also fall in love haha ;o)

edit:
just some thought that i want to add: things like the disting mk4 and the batumi expert firmware are maybe a little less useful in real life than in theory if you are no super genious in remembering weird settings that are not written on the frontplate. they kinda go against the one-knob one-feature that modules usually tend to go.

addition: i dont make hiphop but i also have a similar setup where i have an NI maschine as an VST inside cubase and i sequence 3 external synths with it while also using it as a groovebox and export its audio as a 7-track multitrack. (group 8 is already in use as my sqeuencing group for all external gear)

for me: combining the worlds is where the magic emerges. limiting yourself can also very inspiring but i am a "i want the best tool for the job" guy so i very much love combining a lot of worlds and dimensions to a nice new monster ;)

my thoughts on emulating things complicated on an modular that would be easy if not emulated: dont emulate and just use the tools that are the best for their respective task. (just my 2 cents)

so expanding the possibilities of an mpc based workflow around an mpc + turntable with modules that do things that an mpc + turntable cant is an better idea, just use the tools for what they are made. bashing with a ruler on a nail works not as good as using a hammer.

the big strong side of modular synths are CV modulation. if you cant think of a single case where having CV modulation available between all modules is a REAL benefit, you probably wont need cv modulation and thus, no modular ;D

if i were you i would go with an dedicated mpc style sampler box you can have on the table and jam around with it (=workflow!!!) AAAAND if you really really really want it make just an modulations/efx rack where you can mangle up the grooves you made with your mpc. i would use two tools for its each designed purpose. using the mpc just as an soundsource for the modular so it can focus on providing modulations where you have all your efx controlled with all those lfo's and other cv sources, you would have the best of both worlds.

things like expert sleepers make nice little modules so you can sync up your mpc with your modular so everything stays in the same bpm and even make it possible to control your modular with your mpc with midi out AND BACK. (sequencing that nice drum module out of your mpc? no problem. using an modular lfo inside your mpc? no problem.)

i'm a bloody noob myself but maybe someting like an erica synth pico dsp or expert sleepers disting mk4?
those little ones that can do much are for sure nice in a small rack i can imagine.