I agree. Idk how else to store chord progressions though. Maybe an Elektrofon Klang if I could find one. I'd like to avoid an ableton dependency. The Klee is huge but the flow is butter and dropping it sounds sad.

Downsizing and cleaning out. 7u 104hp feels tight but I already bought the case so here we go. Idea here is to use nerdseq to play fixed chord progessions through Odessa expander, while jamming basslines / melodies on Klee, throw in samples and drums. Id like more clock modulation I think.
I haven't found a method of generative chord progressions I like, so I'd like to take fixed structures and break them in real time.
Only non-negotiables here are Klee, Odessa, texmex, o_c, and Kermit. Very curious on any ideas you might have. Thank you.

ModularGrid Rack

I'm a few modules away from a new milestone in a completed 4 row 84 hp case. In the top hole I want a XAOC Odessa once it's released. Maybe an ES-8 on the left. But I wanted to get your opinions on what, if anything I might be missing. I like doing mostly bass/sound design (lazers especially), simple techno beats, and some light melodic stuff. In the sketches the bottom rows were filled mostly with more VCAs and Filters. If you have any ideas or input I'd love some feedback. Thank you.

ModularGrid Rack

I've finally passed the 6u stage and am on to a deeper dive in modular. I feel like I'm on a decent track, and expansion does seem necessary. Everything in the rack is owned (the ladik vca at the bottom is actually a uoki toki dual decay vca, not on here anymore for some reason). My considerations for the next pieces include a braids, tempi, 3x mia and a doepfer dual trigger delay, but I'm not set on anything and I've got a lot of open space to play with. I would like a decent self generative capacity, and incorporating drums would be lovely. Live performance is an idea I've been playing with. I'd love to see what ideas you all have. Thanks so much.

ModularGrid Rack

Hi. I'm also fairly new to modular, about 2 years or so. I think it depends on what you're trying to do. This seems like a cool rack for sound design and ambient. If you're trying to do more rhythmic stuff I might recommend some more utility modules. Maybe try a disting and see which utilities you find the most useful. Multiples are great. VCAs that aren't Low Pass Gates seem like they'd also be a welcome addition. Random might be a nice touch. Inexperienced as I am, I'd say you're at the point where you should look less to sound sources or even effects, and more towards modulation, utility, and getting the most out of what you already have. It's incredible how much the smallest pieces can change everything.

This is getting hard to wrap my head around. I thought I could stop at 6u 84 and be content but clearly that was naive. Recently Ive reached a bit of a plateau and it's become painfully clear that I'm not using modular in anywhere near the capacity it offers. Just expanded by another 3u 84 and bought a couple new modules (ornament and crime, tiktok), but I'd love to get some outside views on ways I can expand my potential most efficiently. Most modules here are owned minus Pico drums, tangle quartet, batumi, quantum rainbow and 3x MIA. I'd like mostly to make semi-ambient / chords with a lead, strange techno / rhythmic loops, and general bass sound design. An expansion to 12u is most likely (but I'd like to see it contained there for a moment). I have a neunaber wet guitar pedal for reverb and a pocket operator for simple drum beats. If anyone can identify strategies I'm not taking advantage of, I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts. I'm starting to get confused, albeit immersed in a beautiful chaos. Thank you for your time and consideration & I love this community.

ModularGrid Rack

Super stoked about this. After about a year and change in the modular world, I'm finally approaching a finished rack. It's mostly for sound design to be used and manipulated later in ableton, but I do like the occasional rambling jams. I have 3hp left, where I was debating pico drums, or a malekko mix4 or noise. All would be helpful. Any suggestions? Great community, couldn't have done it without this place.

ModularGrid Rack

Hell yea! Good tip on the exponential VCAs. I wasn't sure how big the difference was, but I do love that ripping and tearing sound. I think the only thing I'd want to work in somehow is an external input, to do some weird things with the ringmod especially. Is it bad to swap the Ladik Line Out with something like a Gozinta? The sub ring is a great idea, extra evil. Sidenote: do you have any experience with the ADDAC power starvation? Looks interesting. Thanks for the help!

ModularGrid Rack

Finishing up my first rack. I'm trying to do some experimental club, like a sort of freeform techno or broken, disjointed sci-fi and bass. Influence from Objekt, Jesse Osborne-Lanthier, Rabit, etc. I own the top row, plus the midi, umod, grandpa, and buffmult. Lots of people saying you should have more VCAs than voices, but I've only found marginal use for them. As far as generative stuff, I'd only be looking to farm out 8 bars at a time. I'm wondering if I should sacrifice anything for more VCAs and filters, or if I'd benefit from a gate generator (I like the 4ms SCM.) Been hashing this out for a few months now and I'm wondering if any experienced users have an idea to improve efficiency or functionality. Much appreciated, thanks.

Hey,

I'm still pretty new to modular too. I've been looking into this myself , and I guess the two routes I see are a more modular approach vs a more clean and digital approach.
To me it feels like one of the most alluring parts of modular is the experimental aspect of it. That, and the power of analog sound. It depends what you're trying to do. If you want accurate BPM with multiple sample options, you could get something like a Pamela's Workout plus a few Pico Drums and have that be enough. I've heard people say that even the idea of a drum module is anti-modular. Learning how to synthesize the sounds from scratch has been so far the most interesting, as well as the most valuable addition to extending my knowledge in VSTs.
Since you have the space, it might be worth it to slowly build and invest in individual oscillators and noise sources and clock generators so you can make interesting, original drum sounds and patterns. But if precision and efficiency are your goals then you'll probably want more digital modules.
Hope this helps.