That would mean building 10 VCA's into the module, not an easy feat and that would be pretty expensive. I've never seen a VC ResEQ, but a fixed filter bank like Bark Filter or Fumana might be what you're after.

Thread: RYO Aperture

Yes, really annoying. I think you can change the primary face plate as a user, will take a look.

Oh nice, that sounds like a lot of fun! You could even use midi fx upon loopback if you’d like to make things more complicated ^^
Thanks for the inspiration!

What kind of midi data do you use it for? IME complex midi data can get glitchy, I’m curious to hear how it handles the weird voltages a modular system can spit out :)

Shakmat Harlequin's Context can also do these complex presets.
If you just want to do modulator pitch a sequential switch (Doepfer!) and some offsets should be enough, though!

I think the antisemitism is enough reason to hate B*. If you don’t care about that, their unlicensed Arturia Keystep clone is another one.

MI designs are open source, so they’re free to use them. But my machine is supposed to kill fascists, not to support racists.

Thanks, another shop with some good options :)

The €20 rule does apply (isn’t it €22?) across the until July. From that point on each country will have its own rules..

I received today knobs from Thonk (via Postmail).
If your order is ≤20€, no tax from UK. But (not sure) the limit will be ≤50€ in July.

In Belgium the threshold for customs charges will be €0 unfortunately. But I can also ship to friends in the Netherlands, thanks for the inspiration!

Banzai looks cool. Not so many options for different shafts, but there might be something useful in there!

Hey Europeans, now Thonk is getting cut off from the mainland: do you have any good resources for knobs, caps and these kind of small supplies within the EU? I don’t mind paying VAT, but the customs fee in Belgium is a little steep for small orders.

+1 on Behri, they’re pretty much the only corporate devil in euroland. Buying from any other brand is a way to support the community :)

I don’t think you should see the Doepfer BBD as a normal BBD delay. If I’m right there is no filter for the BBD clock noise, which is an awfully harsh sound that lowers in frequency as you lengthen the delay time. So if you’re using it as a normal delay, make sure to add an extra lowpass filter just for the feedback path of the delay. It’s an amazing creative module for time-based fx and karplus strong synthesis, though - and if you decide to get the extra filter, it’ll be an extremely flexible delay!

Apart from that, the usual stuff people forget: attenuators, mixers, VCAs. There are quite a few sound sources in this rack, you’ll need ways to control them. I have only 3 monophonic sources in my current rack, and about 10 VCAs, 4 mixers and 3 attenuators. But if you start with purchasing the voice that interests you the most, you’ll find out on the way! Just don’t buy too quick and take the time to get to know your modules :)

I’m with Farkas, it’s mostly a matter of finding the right tools for the job. There are differences in quality, but that’s also a matter of personal preference. Take the panel: some builders use sturdy aluminium, others FR4 / plastic. The same counts for the chips, the pots, etc. But most top quality brands are twice as expensive as their alternatives, and pretty HP heavy. I’m afraid you’ll have to do your research for every module. And you’ll probably still have some surprises: not all modules play as well with modules from other brands. Eurorack is a bit of a wild west situation..
And about noise: don’t underestimate the importance of a good power supply! A power conditioner in the studio can also help.

I think with modules like these quantity matters. I’d rather have to Doepfers than one Boss, and let them do phase shifting patterns - 3 over 4 and such. But that’s just me, I enjoy the simple things 😉

Boss’ voltage controlled scanning is really cool though, and opens up another set of possibilities!

I just saw there’s a Divkid video on a sequential switch! It might not be the same module, but Ben has a special talent for showing the creative potential of a module - and it shouldn’t be too hard to translate!

Sequential switches are underrated modules, I would say they are perhaps the most modular of all..! Exactly because of that, there are quite a few different uses.

To wrap your head around the module I would advise you to plug several sound sources (VCO, filtered noise, more filtered noise, percussion) into the I/O 4 jacks. Send the O/I output to your systems master out and plug a clock signal into the trig in. You can understand the module as a 4-step spectral sequencer! Verbos has some wild examples here:

One step further: do the same, but send the output of the seq switch through an enveloped VCA into the the FM input of another oscillator!

You can do the same thing with rhythms. Plug 5 different trigger patterns or clock divisions into the 4 I/O jacks, and a slower clock source into the trig in. Send the O/I output to a drum module/pinged filter/LPG/envelope.

You can also use the seq switch the other way around. For example: Patch multiple sound sources into VCAs without envelopes. Send an envelope into the O/I jack of the seq switch and patch the 4 I/O jacks into these VCAs. Maybe send a funky rhythm into the Trig in. Now the envelope will open another VCA every time the seq switch switches.

Some ideas for melody:

And don’t forget you don’t need to use all I/O jacks. Leaving an empty space can yield the most interesting results!

The Holden patch is wonderful if you sequence from Ableton Live! I unfortunately don’t, so I’ve picked oscillators with sturdy knobs (Even VCO!) and ditched the ones with big, eager knobs (so long, STO!). You can also pull the knobs off your modules. It looks slightly less charming, but it helps.
I’ve got a guitar tuner on the pre-fader send of my mixer so I can just pull a fader down and silently tune my VCO whenever things are getting fishy. That’s truly a live safer! (Pun intended)

I find that the longer I play modular, the more I’m longing for expression - something to touch and actually play. Tetra offers a lot in that regard, it can really make you play the system like an instrument. The built in quantization sure offers a lot of fun. And you can always get some random stuff out of the fh2!

I think you might be best off with a VCO that has LFO mode - or just goes deep down. Doepfers A143-9 might be a good contender as well, and it’s really cheap! But it only does sine waves and its derrivates.
If that’s what you need - recommended! It’s very modulatable, I use mine as FM modulator with v/oct into cv1 and a nice slider into the cv2 for playability :)