Thanks yet again starkwether. Following your post I went off and did some research on the modules you mentioned. I found a few useful videos on YouTube on Warps, Peg and Maths. I can see how easily a planned 'small modular system' could quickly get out of hand, haha. Still, budgetary restrictions in my case are probably a good thing - I can't immediately build a huge system that would be very difficult to get my head around at first.

I also discovered a new Doepfer module that I think would come in useful, being a combination of various functions, details as follows: A-184-1 Ring Modulator / S&H/T&H / Slew Limiter Combo. Still not quite ready to pull the trigger yet though!

Hi starkwether, thanks for your comments! Don't be fooled by my choice of a couple of interesting modules though, I really have almost no clue what I'm doing (yet!)

Dear Modular Fans,

I'd like some help on my proposed rack, which I'd like to base around the Waldorf NW1. I currently own an Elektron Machinedrum and a Korg MS2000, and intend to control the modular from my DAW via midi.

Here it is: ModularGrid Rack

The current set-up is getting towards the end of my budget. Based on things I've seen and heard on YouTube etc., the first three modules, the NW1, standard Doepfer VCO, and the filter, are all 'definite' in my mind. I'm interested in ambient and techno music and would like to make some classic analogue synth sounds in addition to more experimental stuff. I'd like to be able to send external audio, such as drum loops or the MS2000 through the synth. When the finances allow, and they are available again, I'd like to add a Mutable Instruments Clouds to the rack.

Basically I'd like some advice on essential modules following the first three. What's the minimum I can get away with?
I've chosen some Doepfer modules since they are relatively cheap in Europe, and I think my (tight) budget would restrict me to European-made modules only. I'm quite sure I've omitted some important things, and/or included modules that are not stricly necessary so I'd be grateful for your input.

Thanks for reading!