So I finally got some money together. Looks like I'll be spending it too and get over this research part that's just taking too long by now. I always thought I'd start with a synth voice like the atlantis and an effect module like Clouds and just build on from there. But starting with a simple VCO, an optomix, a Braids as second VCO and a Maths as envelope and LFO is about the same price and might give me more options in the future. I'll go by London Modular this week or next to just sneak a peek but would love to hear what y'all think. Top row or bottom row?

The virtual modular doesn't work on the newest version of OSX unfortunately.

Cool thanks a lot guys, I live in London so I think I'll hop by London Modular soon. I'm currently very busy and not in a hurry to spend a big amount of money anyway. I don't think the Schneiders Laden in Rough Trade still exists does it? Regarding the virtual modular, I'll look in to it. But I'm pretty sure I want to get in to the real deal too as I see it also as a study project of understanding sound and synthesis better then I currently do.

I'm still doubting between a full voice like the atlantis or paying a little extra for separate modules. Thanks everybody!

Been reading this thread, to many negative experiences in my view.. For that price at least. Seems like Intellijel is a bit more quality for the price.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152341&highlight=

Thank you for your reply Whunder :-) Been reading a lot of stuff online the last few days and currently I'm most drawn towards the Intellijel Atlantis as it has two VCO's and I've been reading a lot of negative things about the Lifeforms from Pittsburgh. I like the moog sound but as you said, the sequencer seems like a pain. I was thinking of getting a 2nd hand Atlantis with a 2nd hand Mutable Instruments Clouds and a Korg SQ1 as a starter set up. I work with a lot of different materials as a job so building my own case won't be a problem, will be fun actually! I think those modules will give me some fun play time for sure. Like you're saying, the moog feels more like a very cool stand alone unit, but I think the atlantis can stay within a bigger rack as a nice 101 resembling sound. Interested in your thoughts :-)

T

Hi everybody,

I'm looking on some advice about where to start. Would getting something like a Mother 32, a Lifeforms or Intellijel Atlantis set up be a nice segue in to a modular set up, or would you recommend saving up some extra money and start off with some separate modules? Something like a DPO + Optamix + Maths or a cheaper Doepfer set up and get that 99,- external korg sequencer for instance... My current way of working has been with ableton but I find it boring and uninspiring and want to be more hands on and playful. Wise words welcome! Thank you :-)

Best, R