Hello All,

Taking my first journey into modular. Wanted some thoughts on if I have all bases covered with this small starter system.

I figure with the 2hp modules I have a ton of functions covered. Just wanted to know if this is overkill or if I am missing anything. Honestly, any thoughts on this system would be great!

I’m looking to integrate this for a live house/techno act I am putting together.

I’m currently running the below gear:

Elektron Octatrack
Beatstep Pro
Dreadbox Fx Hades
Make Noise 0coast
Volca beats
Volca Sample
Volca Keys
12 channel behringer mixer

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

1. I am buying a 22 channel soundcraft signature mixer that has multitrack recording so I can run all of my gear into ableton and record into individual tracks at once (pretty awesome analog mixer). For $800 I think its a steal. I currently have a small 8 channel behringer mixer that I can swap gear out for whatever I want to use at the moment. What mixer do you use? What mixer do you suggest? Also, what kind of features are good for modular set ups.

2. Honestly, I would like to all of my gear to be one big happy family with my modular system(s). I currently have 4 volcas and a dreadbox hades, however, by the end of october I will have a roland tr8, dreadbox erebus, make noise 0coast, my 4 volcas, the dreadbox hades, korg minilogue, and one moog mother 32 (I'll start with one voice and buy more if it is worth it). so yeah, I want them all to work together with the modular system. The dreadbox units, mother 32, and the make noise all have patch points as you already probably know. Do you think that is possible?ysWhat do you think I need to interface with the gear? Any recommendations other than that? My plan is to have everything running at once on the 22 channel mixer. I know it seems like A LOT of equipment with the modular but I am taking this serious and want to go live. Obviously I wont take all the gear live but my show will always be different. So I think I understand what you are asking... I want for example one of the synths to run into the maths, right? What do you think?

3. I am not sure I undertand this question? can you please kind of elaborate.. sorry, I am an airhead:) its kind of late here too.

4. So this answers five as well... I currently have one beatstep pro - connected to the beatstep pro I have a midi solutions quadra through that has one midi in and four midi out. At the moment I have the volca beat, volca keys, and volca bass being sequenced by the beatstep pro. The volca sample is also connected to the midi through box which allows it to receive clock from the beat step pro. So even though I could sync the volcas through ttheir own inputs, I do all the clocking from this midi through box. I going to buy either one or two more midi through boxes or a bigger midi interface for all the gear to connect to my beatstep. Also, I am going to buy a second beatstep pro to control more gear as I absolutely love the machine. It is such a big powerhouse of sequencing - so motivating and insprining to use. I am sure you know this, but the beat step pro has usb connection that comes with a splitter that I use for the computer connection and to power the unit, it has clock in and out, midi in and out, 8 drum gate outputs, and two sequencer CV outs that have their own velocity, gate, and pitch outputs (I LOVE THIS MACHINE:). so the beatstep can control the eurorack system. What do you think of that setup? Any recommendations or ideas?

I know this was a long winded response to it all but I am super excited to get this going. I started djing electronic music 22 years ago, started producing in the box roughly 10 years ago and now I am taking the plunge and going to straight instruments trying to stay away from the computer. If I do use the computer I will temporarily use it to trigger samples with a novation launchpad. Also will use computer to record in ableton and post production. Needless to say this is going to be quite the journey for me as I want to release music and play it live as well.

I appreciate your help and feedback on thiis as you have taken the time to answer my questions. Thank you in advance for a response to my answers.

Last thing - I will list all of my gear so you have a better idea.. this is all of the gear that I am planning to have by the end of october

1. Volca Sample, Keys, Bass, and Beats - MAYBE the FM
  2. Dreadbox Hades
  3. Dreadbox Erebus
  4. Soundcraft Signature 22 Multitrack Analog Mixer
  5. Roland TR 8
  6. Two Arturia Beatstep Pros
    7, Make Noise 0Coast, no coast whatever
  7. Korg Minilogue
  8. Moog Mother 32
  9. Some kind of TB303 box (Possibly the Roland TB 3 becuase its inexpensive) - If i decide tto spend some money I will get the abstrakt instruments avalon bassline for like $1k USD. I played with it and it is hands down the closest to the real thing in my opinion.
  10. Still need to buy speakers as I am borrowing my friends cheap $100 for the pair m audio speakers. Thinking about picking up a pair of yamaha hs5. I am in an apartment with thin walls so I want nice small speakers that I can use as reference with mixing and mastering. Most of my recording, jamming, etc will be done with headphones... I am going to get a couple pairs of headphones (Sennheiser HD series, Beyer Dynamics dt880 or 990, and possibly one other pair.
  11. 2015 13 inch macbook pro 8gb ram
  12. 3 tb g-tech thunder Hard drive
  13. Headphone amp (need suggestions for this one) I will need one with multiple outs as I will be doing a solo act as well as a duo with one of my buddies. I know it will kill my ears but I want to be able to jam out loud with headphones. Maybe get a subpac to feel the bass:)
  14. I may get an elektron octatrack for sampling as I love using samples. I hear they are the best. A bit pricey and difficult to master, but great piece of gear nonetheless.

I think that's pretty much it... I know its a ton of spending on my part but i have allocated the money for this and am taking it seriously. It's been a good year with work so the funds are available fortunately. I don't plan to become famous doing this, but I want to share my 20+ years of electronic music experience with the world and just see what happens.

This little modular thing will just be the beginning after I put together all of the other gear. I am going to buy this one row then eventually start expanding it over the next few years, eventually building a big rack to integrate with my system. I am also planning to start a meet up group where I live for those that want to join and meet to jam out on their modulars.

Wow, I just wrote an essay. Hopefully you or someone else takes the time to read and give advice and feedback.

Thanks!!:)

Yeah, you are right as far as the funds are concerned but compared to the other systems I have put together on here this rack is more inexpensive. The other racks are $4k-$6k,

As far as what I expect - I really just want a rack that I can integrate into my live setup. My live setup has a Roland TR8, moog mother 32, make noise 0coast, korg minilogue, and the entire volca series. I want the rack to have many sound sculpting capabilities allowing me to add flavor to my live set that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to with my current gear. I play techno, electronic, and house music.

Hopefully that is a good explanation, if not, please let me know and I will try to elaborate.

Thank you for your input!

Hello all,

Looking to build my first modular rack. Starting off small as funds are rather limited. Going with a one row, 84 hp case. Everything to the right of and including the MU Braids was in place of an atlantis module. Please let me know what you think as far as additional modules required to get started, whether I should omit the braids and everything to the right of it and pop the atlantis into there, should I omit certain modules as they are redundant, etc.?

I have a beatstep pro as my sequencer so I am covered on that front.

Any help or advice anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Awesome feedback!

I replaced the older maths with the newer version. Also, I got rid of the LxD on your suggestion and added the nano rand by qubit (assuming that is the module you were talking about.

About the sequencing - I am thinking of starting with a Arturia Beatstep Pro as it seems to have many output options (MIDI, CV, Gate, & USB). In the future I am thinking about possibly getting a sequencing module like the metropolis by Intellijel or a combo of the pressure points and Rene, both my make noise. Any other suggestions on sequencing would be fantastic unless I am covering all bases with what I have. Last thing,is the Yarns necessary if I am planning to get the beat step pro? It has CV/Gate outs that I could utilize making me think that getting the Yarns would be overkill/redundant.

Also, I want to find a way to sequence my modules using ableton clips for future live performance. I think expert sleepers makes something for DAW connectivity. What other options would you suggest?

Sorry for sounding a little newbie as I am just wrapping my head around the modular world. Appreciate the quick response though!

Bump - any thoughts on this particular setup. Would really love some feedback from anyone that is willing to offer some knowledgable advice.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings all,

This is my first eurorack ever. I am going for a starter kit where I have all the bases covered. Couple OSCs, filters, buffed mult, mixer, env. generator, midi to CV module, etc.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome as I am a newbie when it comes to modular synthesis.

thanks!

Wow, you make some great points and thank you for the valuable information. I have decided to go with a MDLR classic case which expands my HP per row to 114, giving me more room for extra modules. I am keeping the DUBjr in there and adding the disting mk3 because I am a delay junkie and want many different options (let me know if that doesn't make sense). I have replaced the mutagen with the mutamix.

Take a look at the mods that I have added and let me know what you think.

Also, to start I am not buying all of the modules at once. The grand total for everything will probably end up at close to $8k. I will most likely be spending $4k to start with. Any pointers on which modules I absolutely have to get first given my starting budget?

Once again, I appreciate the help. I'll continue to do my own research to develop my own knowledge, but I really enjoy the fact that there are others out there willing to help on this journey.

Thanks!

Anyone else out there that can help? Would love to get as much guidance as possible from some seasoned folks before I take the plunge. I feel like there are brands and actual modules out there that I am missing out on. Also, some additional tips and recommendations on the current configuration would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Right on, so I got rid of the moog (sucks cause I really wanted the moog sound in there, though I know I can just get it tabletop and still mess around like that). I added the Make Noise DPO, Make Noise function generator, Intellijel VCA 2, Intellijel uMod 2, and the intellijel mutagen as a mixer. Unfortunately, even though I know what belongs inside the rig, I do not completely understand what purpose some of the mods serve. For example, what do the VCAs do and why are more than one important? Also, could you recommend a good 4hp mod to squeeze in as the last piece? Other than that I am open to recommendations with swapping my current mods.

Apologies for the newbie questions, but I am still reading up and researching. Going to take the final plunge and buy everything hopefully in the beginning of June. Appreciate your help!

So this is my first ever modular system. After messing around with a few different configurations, I decided to go with a three row system and get a bunch of fun toys to mess around with. As this is my first go around, I am not completely sure if I have the right mods to keep the system running. I covered osc, filters, effects, EGs, midi interface, and some other random mods.

Please take a look and let me know if I am missing any important modules. Also, any other advice would be great and please feel free to provide criticism as I am here to learn what is best:)

Thanks! -Craig.m