I've started to try and record some of my beginning noodlings. Mainly trying to figure things out, I'm hoping to pull some more song like structure into things once I've sussed my new modular out and use with my volca sample and Op1.

Perhaps mad, but I thought I'd start my buying a selection of things to help me find my sound and play around, I'm likely to trade or swaps things out, so please feel free to suggest stuff.

My core sound is to use granular synths and process live guitalele and melodica which I have been doing so far with a superege guitar pedal and delays. I'd like to try and tighten things up and modulate more stuff by using clouds and DLD in this fashion.
I have a mother 32 I'm mainly using for bass sounds, and I have a rings too for dulcima type tones.

Then for modulation I've got tempi (which I'm struggling to get the best from at the moment, though I've just ordered a grandpa which could now maybe create some more interesting rhythms). Maths, (which seems overkill for what I'm mainly using as two LFOs) and Frames (which I'm mainly using as an audio mixer, because I'm finding the keyframing just a little too nuts to control neatly).

Anyhow here's a few vids.

thankyou!

I'm using a Makenoise 104HP Skiff at the moment, so although the intellijel looks good, I've got to now keep things slim. I'm thinking of getting a MI Frames to run parasite sequencers, so that will only leave me with 4HP. I may hang on a bit longer then and get to grips with everything a bit more for now then. The DLD is cool, but I thought I'd be able to use it more for building up layers of loops a bit easier. Perhaps it's a shift in my composing, I'll give it a go, otherwise I might replace this with an alternative type of looper.

ModularGrid Rack

Can anyone recommend a compact in and out module for my compact rig? Currently I'm going out to a tiny mackie mixer, but I'd like to have a stereo headphone output built in plus main stereo outs and also an instrument input for things like external synths like my Op1 or volca, or electric guitar or contact mics even. The input is really only for processing in clouds or patching sounds to the dual looping delay.

thank you

Man this stuff is like crack! I thought people were being dramatic.

Just added rings and an oplab to the mix for some lovely sequencing and melodic work! :)

Eeek

ModularGrid Rack

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and visit to this site. I was directed here after I bought a few modules last week to start exploring modular stuff. My day job is a sound designer, but I pretty much exclusively build everything and process field recordings on a laptop.
I want to start performing and writing new music on my new modular instrument and I like the separation it creates between my art and day to day work.

I currently combine field recordings with ambient guitar/drones/pedals, I also have an iPad running borderlands and an OP1.
I'm looking to try and build a rack that'll work to capture and manipulate found sounds, build up lush atmospherics, yet still maintain upbeat, almost naive melodies/cute tones I quite often try and keep in.

I have a mother 32 for pretty vanilla stuff, but hope I can make use of it's patchbay to try some more experimental things. I love clouds and that's what really swung me into getting into modular. The dual looper is a bit of an experiment. I was searching for something that would allow me to capture and layer drones and textures. I think I still need a bit more time to figure this out.

The Tempi, to be honest was a bit of a last minute experiment with trying to get a clock divider in to help shape rhythms of things. After playing with the dual looper though, I haven't really found a good use for this yet. I still plan and have budget to get a couple more modules though, but would appreciate any help or ideas that could help me explore both my current set up, or any recommendations for missing modules.

My first patch/plan I want to create is a simple soft whimsical evolving drone I can leave in the room as part of an art installation I'm doing in a few weeks time.

cheers!

Karl