Bought a module from Belgium to Canada from @bj_gzp . Arrived in perfect condition quickly and he even paid more of the shipping cost than he needed to. Awesome seller!

You need both for different purposes. I have a bunch of different mixers/VCAs for both cv and audio in my modular, and I have a Tascam Model 24 on the way that will allow me to fine tune final outs, and record many different outs into an SD card all on their own track to then put into Logic later. People who think you can just plug modular stuff straight into an audio interface without any drawbacks are smoking something; even audio out interfaces within eurorack can be quite different--my Vermona TAI-4 has transformers for both in and out that make a sort of pleasing saturation that make the exact same sound source sound better when I output it compared to more generic output modules (or none at all).

Case+ a good power supply is definitely not cheap, but I think not significant compared to the cost of modules that fill them. e.g. I got my Make Noise skiff used for $185 on ebay, a nice wood 6U case with 5A of TipTop power for $375 from a friend, which is about as good as it gets. Takes some time and patience for the deals.

Sure!

See how it works out, you can change things out at will/buy and sell.

Well, I went from a MicroKorg to Eurorack in the span of 1.5 years :)
Yeah, I can hear that. Pat Martino is a crazy guy, especially how he lost his memory for awhile. I almost had a chance to see him play a few times. His playing is a bit clean for my tastes Always like to catch some of those legends when I've been in NYC at some of those storied clubs.

The thing is, modular is the thing that feels most like a physical instrument to me..also, it's mathematical, and my job and academic background is in the sciences, so it feels quite a natural blend to me. It's the intersection of physics and music. Been interested in non-linearity for many years.

Lucky you, all my electronic influences are British, basically, much better culture for it there--I'd place Aphex Twin just below Miles Davis in terms of influence..

Nice--I only owned my first in 2016. Where do you live? I heard something of a jazz background in there? I'm jazz but from a more acoustic/flamenco perspective..Paco de Lucia, Al di Meola and John Mclaughlin were my earliest musical heroes. I'm still the only person I've met who's gone from non-electric guitar to synths..

Proper youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/c/nickhchaos/videos

@chaosnick

Food for thought indeed! I was just checking out your rack; a refreshingly non-standard mix of modules! DAWless?

What type of music do you make?
-- Botty

Thanks; lots of trial and error/bought and sold you don't see and I've tried to avoid hype and just figure out for myself what is best. That includes both current and future--I have about 2/3 of what you see there, the other 1/3 is tentatively planned. I just use Logic for recording and minor post processing, but otherwise I find computers annoying and not conducive to music.

Here's some stuff: https://soundcloud.com/chaosnick
Some live modular:

Thanks @chaosnick,
I'm thinking about ditching one of the M32s anyway, the AJH modules look interesting; thanks for the heads-up.

-- Botty

They make some of the best sounding, well thought out, and well constructed modules in all of eurorack. I have one VCO by them and it sounds better than just about any other VCO out there. Their ring mod SM is probably one of the most excellent modules out there. Not sure where you live but they're a particular steal for those of us in the USA at the moment if you order from a European source (namely Juno records) due to the insanely good exchange rate.

Thanks for the hard truths, atrostor. Maths has two VCAs in the center, but you think I need something dedicated and I can't argue against that. What's your recommendation on a specific module or modules to fill that role?
-- Gerromie

No--Maths is a Function/Envelope generator--you patch this TO a VCA to create an amplitude for your oscillator/sound source that is activated when Maths is pinged/gated/triggered.

Add, remove, change out etc, all sensible views welcome! mainly used for soundscape / ambient / disonnant
Modest rig
-- Botty

Ditch the dual mother 32s and get yourself some AJH modules instead; more expensive but a much more beautiful and interesting proposition in the long term.

Dude! THANK YOU. I don't know if you had the same experience I'm having when you first started, but I'm basically just watching a video and thinking "I like that. I want it." That's how I conceived this rack! Hence, the "ill-advised" tagline.

This was such a great response--thanks for being such a great ambassador to this community I'm joining! I will definitely check out the Tonestar. I will find out what a wavetable oscillator is and check out the ones you recommended. Your thoughts on Clouds made me laugh. With regards to actual modular, I feel like I'm still needing to shed some of my perspectives on synthesizers. I've always thought of them as the thing with knobs and a keyboard that has all the components to make sounds all in one package. You can probably see that coming through in this attempt at a rack.

I did also fail to mention that I'm getting a Beatstep and a Keystep to start. I'm much more interested in making sounds, learning how signal flow works in these things, and learning the theory behind the noises before stepping too deeply into sequencers. For me, I'm managing the amount of info I'm taking in because it can get overwhelming very quickly for me!

What is the HP width of a regular rack that houses my MOTU 828? I figured it was 84 because the enclosure I saw had the little ears on the sides for screwing them into a rack. I figured I'd have all that housed together.

Thanks again for the response. It gives me some more homework to do and I'm happy to do it. Cheers!
-- johnnyapolis

Sure thing. About HP: it's just an industry standard--5 HP = 1 inch. MOTU is just your audio interface, right? So there's no intrinsic reason to have it racked; but eurorack modules need to go in a case that has a power supply--they attach to the bus boards inside the cases with ribbon cables they come with.

Yes, I've only been in it for 6 months but have learned a lot since then, and I would recommend don't spend too much time planning your modules because your needs will change and evolve over time as you actually use stuff..also, spend some time reading MuffWiggler, even if you don't understand a lot of what people are talking about at first.

Wavetable oscillators basically have a bank of all different types of waveforms that can be chosen or cycled through that an oscillator outputs, many of which would be impossible on most analog oscillators, so you will get very different and interesting harmonics. I'm mostly a pure analog guy, but I'd like to get the Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO, looks great.

Although I've listened to electronic music for many years, I only owned my first one two years ago, and it was only a short leap to ditching keyboards forever...but I've been playing classical and flamenco guitar for 16 years, so from a music perspective, modular synths make a lot of sense to me. I agree with Suzanne Ciania, Buchla pioneer that "keyboards are an inappropriate interface for synthesizers."
I recommend watching this video for some of her thoughts:

As I see it, from my perspectives on playing acoustic instruments for awhile, the special thing about synthesizers and especially modular is through combining BOTH audio and voltage pathways in all sorts of novel ways which are interconnected and sequenced, you can create movement, motion, changes that would basically be impossible for a person a keyboard or any single instrument; it's more like conducting a mini orchestra.

Is something like this a little more practical for use with an external sequencer/controller?

ModularGrid Rack
-- johnnyapolis

yes, but you seem to have some weird manufacturers I've never even heard of...I would stick with more well known ones. Not that you can't deviate from convention, but sorting module type by "popularity" is a good starting place.

Thread: My A-100

You need a power supply.

Looks pretty ugly to me, I don't like PGH ui. I use 4ms QCD and expander with some other stuff and that's very good, also Stillson Hammer mk2.

Well, I personally think the idea of using eurorack just for "experimental noises" is a very limiting and unmusical use for the true extant of its possibilities, but even if that was your only goal, I can make a few recommendations:
1) As an alternative option to the PGH SV-1, I'd recommend the Studio Electronics Tonestar. I think it's more interesting and the quality of their equipment is better than PGH as well as 95% of other eurorack manufacturers. Also smaller HP.
2) I see you already have Quadnic in there..in reference to #1, you might instead try a wavetable oscillator, especially for crazy sounds. The new Erica Synths Wavetable VCO looks great, but there's others, particularly morphing terrarium.
3) #2 Could just as easily apply for Clouds, which seems to me one of those "try to do a lot of things OK" module a lot of people seem to buy and then sell within a few months..so..
4) If you want to play anything other than your self contained voice (SV1), you will need VCAs and envelopes, which you currently have 0 of.
5) If you really only care about experimental drones etc. perhaps this does not matter to you, but you also have no sequencer or quantizer of any kind, thus no way to play notes, music, etc..for me, this is THE most important thing of any eurorack setup or synthesizer, since it dictates the control voltage, which is after all, what this is all about
6) Speaking of which, you don't really have any modifying voltage sources of any kind, it's all pretty much audio. If you don't have voltage out-modules you're missing most of what modular has to offer and you might as well use a keyboard synths or two. My sequencer is the Stillson Hammer Mk2 which accomplishes #5 and #6 in spades. I love it. But you'll need a bigger setup to make it worth it. I recommend not starting with any less than a 104 HP skiff. Make Noise makes a good and cheap one.

Good luck!