Uhhh...doesn't this violate certain laws of physics or something? https://www.modulargrid.net/e/behringer-bode-frequency-shifter

OK, normally I would object to Uli lifting designs. But NOT HERE. My sole question is "does this really work?" If it does, B.'s managed to put out something for cheap here that pretty much NO ONE could get into for less than a grand! And sure, there's a couple of digitally-based designs that come in in the $400-ish range, but no analog ones anywhere near there...until this. You could even afford TWO for full stereo operation!

If you're wondering why this is a big deal...this isn't a "pitch shifter". Those are invariably digital devices that take an entire sound and move it up or down in pitch. But this is an ANALOG device that doesn't shift the entire sound, it takes a similar tack to a ring modulator and raises/lowers all sonic content by adding or subtracting the "carrier" frequency from the "source". So if you have a sound on a fundamental frequency of, say, 200 Hz and it's got a pretty typical set of partials at the first few harmonics, frequency shifting raises/lowers the fundamental by...well, let's say 100 Hz here. And then the harmonics ALSO shift by that same 100 Hz.

So? OK...let's look at what's going on here arithmetically:

F = 200 Hz
1st = 400
2nd = 600
3rd = 800
4th = 1 kHz
5th = 1.2
6th = 1.4

That's the normal harmonic arrangement. Now, let's shift that by 100 Hz up...

F = 300 Hz
1st = 500
2nd = 700
3rd = 900
4th = 1.1 kHz
5th = 1.3
6th = 1.5

Math-wise, this doesn't look all that different. But remember: pitch scales in a LOGARITHMIC relationship, as do the harmonics. Here's what's REALLY supposed to happen to a 300 Hz signal:

F = 300 Hz
1st = 600
2nd = 900
3rd = 1.2 kHz
4th = 1.5
5th = 1.8
6th = 2.1

So if you look back at the shifted version, you'll notice that NONE of the harmonics are following their normal overtone relationships. This results in some extraordinarily wild FM-ish clangers, bizarre modulations, and so on. Ring mod, but on a LOT of 'roids, and you can either shift up OR down...not both at the same time like a typical ring mod does. These devices are, accordingly, rather hard to engineer, which is why frequency shifters are normally very spendy things that not everyone's had the pleasure of encountering. But....well, here we are! And if Uli is to be believed (yeah, a stretch, I know), ANYONE can afford one of these now. Truly wild times we're in...

A $199 Bode Frequency Shifter!?!?

Two for me please :-)
After shortly reviewing a Cwejman FSH-1 and a Sythesis Technology E560 I opted for the latter. Currently enjoying a Klangbau Köln variety after the E560 quit service. Analog ones are hairy to both design and maintain as it seems. Oskar Sala said his Frequenschieber had to recalibrated (frequently?). Digital ones avoid that problem but sound different.

Thanks @Lugia I understand this a bit better now. I think I might make a dedicated 'Moog' and 'Roland' rack. the whole setup is very competitive and from the few bits and bats I've bought they sound and work great

I think there is good and bad in Uli's business approach. Behringer's Model D took a $3500 instrument and distilled it into a $300 analog synth module. The Eurorack line based on classic designs has been uber affordable and reasonable.

Modern electronics manufacturing has been a break-through for small batch electronic instruments and devices. It's profitable for a small company to compete among large manufacturers when designing modules and devices from commonly available electronics parts. I think almost everything obscure or out of reach in the 1970's or 1980's will be revisited and made affordable if there's some profit in it.

Yeah...the "bad" parts with Uli are pretty well known. But the other point is well taken. When you move an instrument's production from a pre-automation process of board-stuffers and solderers on a manual production line to the automated board fabs we have these days, it WILL kick the price down considerably and make that version much easier to obtain. In that aspect, Uli's managed to combine music gear manufacturing with the manufacturing methods we're accustomed to for everyday consumer electronics and nail a "win".

And it's also worth noting that, with the exception of two certain modules (which gets back to "bad Uli"...but I digress), Behringer is limiting its Eurorack output to clone reissues of "unobtainium"...which, actually, is pretty commendable. He does "get" what musicians want and need...it's just that his methods and ethics in giving everyone that which need some (a lot!) of work.