I found a Rackbrute 3U for a decent price and its now on the way...I have my build below and have 5HP left to fill in. Was considering Bastl Granpda (granular sampler), Kompas, or Tromso. However, I want to use this with my Minibrute 2 (not the 2S sequencer version) and so thinking maybe I need to consider mixer like Bastl ABC or Befaco. In the end I would like to use this with the Minibrute and/or Hydrasynth and/or my Rackbrute 6U (which has a Ladik A-520 preamp and Bastl Ciao!)

You may have to click on the image to see the rack with the extra 5HP (not sure why the image hasn't refreshed even though I have refreshed it on the build page multiple times.

ModularGrid Rack

JB

Go back to the build and pull down the "screenshot" selection from the "views" menu and refresh that. That fixes that earlier rack problem. As for the "what goes here" issue, how about this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bastl-instruments-hendrikson-- This lets you add a stompbox or three to the build, meaning that you can add more complexity via reverb, delay, chorus, et al pedals. Move the Ciao! to the right end of the skiff, then put the Hendrickson before that.

This is always a useful move when doing skiff builds. 4 or 5 hp can equal MANY hp by shunting the signal off to external devices.

Go back to the build and pull down the "screenshot" selection from the "views" menu and refresh that. That fixes that earlier rack problem. As for the "what goes here" issue, how about this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bastl-instruments-hendrikson-- This lets you add a stompbox or three to the build, meaning that you can add more complexity via reverb, delay, chorus, et al pedals. Move the Ciao! to the right end of the skiff, then put the Hendrickson before that.

This is always a useful move when doing skiff builds. 4 or 5 hp can equal MANY hp by shunting the signal off to external devices.

-- Lugia

Hmmm...I've never looked at stompboxes...any suggestions on where to start?

JB

Hmmm...I've never looked at stompboxes...any suggestions on where to start?
-- jb61264

CHINA!

Seriously, there's a plethora of stompboxes coming out of China these days that are utterly jaw-dropping, both in capabilities AND price! Fave brands are Aural Dream (especially their Breath Delay and Super Ring), Rowin (I've got PILES of these), Joyo (their "white flanger" kicks the old MXR AC-powered ones out the window, and their high-end stereo boxes are to die for), Cuvave (FUZZ!!!!!!), Sonicake (great little things, super-clean), Mooer (more high-end), and on and on.

Much of this is going on on Amazon, but my personal go-tos out there seem to be the Brantford Pedal Mafia up in Ontario, with their cross-border inventory making sure the US users get the same free shipping as their Canadian customers. Check here on Reverb: https://reverb.com/shop/andrews-gear-depot-553 and on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/str/music4pros?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 LOTS of stuff to sift through! And the prices are such that you can haul off a bushel of these little widgets for as much as some high-end devices.

One other more "pro" device that's worth having if you're going to dive into pedals is this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TriParMix--electro-harmonix-tri-parallel-mixer This thing is basically abuse potential turned into hardware! Just a look-see at this will give you ideas for weeks. It convinced me so strongly that I put together a parallel system for the studio's rack FX processors, using a Studio Technologies 1->8 stereo distro amp and a Rane SM 26B splitter/mixer for the summed return.

CHINA!

-- Lugia

LOL...I will take a look at some of these...I've zero experience with anything stompbox related so will need to do the research but the ability to sort of exponentially add flexibility to the 3U setup with a module that can add a couple of these sounds really interesting...Thanks for the references!!

JB

No prob...plus, the Chinese stuff is so cheap that if you DO happen to get something that doesn't fit, you're out only the money you'd need to take a family of four to MccyD's. But even so, some of the "doesn't fit" issues DO hide useful musical tricks. For example, the Mosky Spring Reverb really doesn't sound like a spring reverb...but when you get the "Dwell" control up too high, this tuns into something of a feedback generator, giving you a feedback "tail" without the need for amplification to get to that instead. The Chinese pedals are rife with useful tricks like that, where the reverse engineering wound up adding some odd capabilities to their emulative pedals. And this ALSO makes them useful in no-input systems, because you can get at sounds you normally wouldn't find in those.

When I hear 5HP, I think Xodes LB5. Great logic module!

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

When I hear 5HP, I think Xodes LB5. Great logic module!
-- Sweelinck

Thanks for the recommendation! Have not heard of the LB5, looks very interesting. I was hoping between the CVilization, Boundary, and MK4 that I would have a decent amount of logic control potential but maybe I need to consider something additional.

JB

The LB5 is a cleverly designed (with a beautifully finish!) module dedicated to logic functions. It allows very creative patching. I own one and no other of my modules can replace it. The Disting mk4 is a good Swiss army knife, it allows more or less to temporarily compensate for the absence of this or that functionality. Currently, for example, I use its delays a lot... while waiting to buy a true delay module like the Chronoblob.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

One very useful and uncommon thing about the Chronoblob/Chronoblob2...INSERT POINT! For the sake of what I have to assume is pure sonic troublemaking, Alright Devices put an insert point in the delay return so that you can alter the timbre, etc of subsequent echoes. LOADS of abuse potential there...and only a handful of manufacturers have something like this.