After thinking I had a cool build for my Rackbrute 3U...I got to thinking that really what my goal is for the 3U is to be a compliment to my Minibrute2 (keyboard Minibrute) and I wasn't so sure that adding a Demon Core oscillator with expander was really on that 'compliment path'. In order to really 'compliment' my Minibrute2, I'm thinking it would be better to consider some really cool modulation and effects.

After getting CVilization, its found a place in my Rackbrute 6U and I've been having fun with it in there (swapped out my Warps)...and thinking Warps might be a cool compliment to the Minibrute2. Thinking I would want to consider a buffered mult or mixer of some sort?

I added the Joranalogue Filter 8 as an additional filter to the setup (Minibrute2 does have its own filter but thinking it might be cool to have options there?). Already have the Disting MK4 installed. Would PNW be necessary if I am running clock from Beatstep Pro? maybe it can do some different interesting modulation that I could use? maybe something better fits this setup now? Maybe there is something better than Links for a small mixer?

Really struggling with some of the choices I have here based on the real direction I want for the Rackbrute 3U build

ModularGrid Rack

JB

GAS combined with limited space can be frustrating. While it's fun to dream up a full rack, in practice I always recommend not planning too far in advance. Play around with what you have and when you reach for a function or sound that's not there, that's the next module to buy. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

this user has left ModularGrid

I had good experience just getting a Doepfer monster case and monster base case and using smaller cases for sequencers, mixers and tools. Now I’m saving up for another monster case to use in the future with larger modules from Frap Tools, Serge, Buchla abs Instruo because these tend to be on the much larger size and power requirements as well.

Got out the clawhammer and had a go....
ModularGrid Rack
In this case, you won't see any I/O between the synth and the modules, save for the Links which is still there for final redistribution of signals with multiple destinations, etc. Since this is intended as an extender for the Minibrute2, I left that out altogether.

So...P/S, Pam's, XODES logic (for screwing around with Pam's, etc), and the Disting. But then, I added a quadrature LFO, which will allow you to have modulation curves that "chase" or "cancel/invert" simultaneously with the normal output. And for screwing with modulation, the Buchla 257t...when it comes out in a few months...is just what this calls for. After that, three linear VCAs for modulation and other control signal amplitude control, then there's an SSF Ultrafold for messing with both CV/mod AND audio. Warps and Beads follow, then I put in a Bastl Hendrickson which now gives you a stompbox send/return path for the build...leaving you with almost infinite options for audio scrambling. And then at the end, Links.

As a synth in of itself...well, it's not one. But as an extension complement for the MB2...oh, hell yes. Everything here plays nicely with the MB2's patch I/O levels, so what I designed was JUST an extender...but a really capable one. This'll take that synth right on into WTF? territory pretty easy-like!

Got out the clawhammer and had a go....

As a synth in of itself...well, it's not one. But as an extension complement for the MB2...oh, hell yes. Everything here plays nicely with the MB2's patch I/O levels, so what I designed was JUST an extender...but a really capable one. This'll take that synth right on into WTF? territory pretty easy-like!

@Lugia - awesome, that's exactly what I wanted..."WTF territory" as an extender to the Minibrute2 :) so let me throw in one little twist...could I somehow integrate my TR-8S with this setup? say using the Hendrickson? and then in turn somehow use the external IN on the TR-8S for the stompbox world?

JB

could I somehow integrate my TR-8S with this setup? say using the Hendrickson? and then in turn somehow use the external IN on the TR-8S for the stompbox world?
-- jb61264

Hell, yeah! That's definitely one of the reasons for the Hendrickson...you can get anything you want OUT, and it'll come right back IN at the same place. An even CRAZIER device for stompboxes that you might dig is this little monstrosity from Electro-Harmonix: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TriParMix--electro-harmonix-tri-parallel-mixer Yep...three PARALLEL channels of stompers, with controllable routings, all fed from and going to the same mono I/O. To me, this is the REAL thing to use there, as you can put three different boxes on its send/returns and just go utterly NUTS. Not only do I have one and dig the hell out of it, it inspired me to create a LARGER and stereo parallel setup for my outboard effects, employing a Studio Technologies stereo 1-8 stereo distro amp for send splitting, and a Rane SM-26B stereo splitter/mixer to mix returns.

And if you don't have one, get one of these for the FX chain: aJkAAOSw5YFgr78b" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/324774960630?hash=item4b9e189df6aJkAAOSw5YFgr78b That monstrosity was a collab between E-H and the guy who founded Mutron way back in the early 1970s. It's a semi-clone of Mutron's Bi-Phase...of which I can guarantee you that you'll either never find one or you don't have the credit rating necessary to afford one. But also, this E-H phaser is about the only semi-available thing that can get into the utterly unobtainable Schulte Compact "A" turf. Just go listen to Klaus's "Blackdance" album, where you can hear the Compact "A" in all its glory. That's ALSO sort of the reason the Hendrickson's in there, tbh...500 lbs of 100% groovy Kraut sound, but available and AFFORDABLE. And no, you can't have mine.

NB Hendrickson is discontinued (& has been for a while) - maybe a few left in shops though

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

NB Hendrickson is discontinued (& has been for a while) - maybe a few left in shops though
-- JimHowell1970

Easily fixable, though...just drop a Strymon AA.1 or Malekko SND/RTN into the Hendrickson's slot. 1 hp smaller in both cases, but that only takes $3 to fix with a blank.

Just go listen to Klaus's "Blackdance" album, where you can hear the Compact "A" in all its glory. That's ALSO sort of the reason the Hendrickson's in there, tbh...500 lbs of 100% groovy Kraut sound, but available and AFFORDABLE. And no, you can't have mine.
-- Lugia
@Lugia - had about an hour of travel time in the car today for Thanksgiving and listened to the Blackdance album...it was interesting and I did listen to it all but will have to admit it wasn't quite my cup of tea...but I did give Klaus another shot and listened to 'Silhouettes' on my hour drive home and I really enjoyed that album.

JB

The fun thing with "Blackdance", though, is that Klaus went TOO FAR with the Compact A. There was so much out of phase signal that, if you summed the tracks down to mono, the lead line would completely disappear. Horrible engineering error...but Brain had this idea that they could put a bit on the jacket saying that you could listen in mono to "hear an interesting effect." Ha!

BTW, if "Blackdance" didn't click with you, check "X". That double set is astonishing...save for the fact that the CD reissue includes a really ugly live mangling of his "Ludwig II von Bayern" by a pickup orchestra that's no fun after you've heard the REAL version. Easily avoidable, thankfully.

I'm a big fan of Klaus Schulze's "Body Love" soundtracks (the one with the white cover and a song called "Blanche" especially). Highly recommended.

I'm a big fan of Klaus Schulze's "Body Love" soundtracks (the one with the white cover and a song called "Blanche" especially). Highly recommended.
-- farkas
I listened to the Body Love tracks today...really nice stuff! Enjoyed that alot

JB

@Lugia - I found a Hendrikson and bought since they are discontinued and I think the idea of using something like stompboxes in a live setting with my Minibrute2/Rackbrute3U setup is great...looking forward to 'expanding' the setup with some stompboxes...will probably go down that path of the Electro-Harmonix Tri Parallel Mixer as well :)

JB

Cool beanz! Yeah, there had to be ONE out there somewhere!

I have everything to the right of the 8HP blank space. The Pams, Logica XT, and Doepfer A-130-2 are reserved HP...leaving me 8 HP of unreserved space. It was recommended I consider an envelope follower to the build...any recommendations for something that would occupy 6 or 8HP? Really loving everything that I've added so far, really fun combining the Minibrute2 with external sounds modified by Warps, Ultrafold, and Beads
ModularGrid Rack

JB