ModularGrid Rack

lose all the output tiles - so many is pointless - 1 may be too many - but that is crazy

a way to play it - midi->cv/sequencer etc

patience - what are you missing?

better utilities - too many mults - no vcas!!!!

have you already bought this? or is it just a 'dream' rack - because it looks like a nightmare!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

maybe start just with a few modules and fill space in with blank panels?

have you already bought this? or is it just a 'dream' rack - because it looks like a nightmare!

-- JimHowell1970

+1. I'm looking at this, and I have literally NO IDEA what some of this is doing in here. Like, SEVEN mults? And three are buffered? Unless you're splitting a single CV off to 16 separate VCOs, this is bonkers. Spendy bonkers, at that!

If this isn't a troll (and I'll give everyone 3:1 odds that it is), just delete this thing and start over, preferably AFTER studying other experienced users' builds beforehand. And I'd also suggest this: https://vcvrack.com/ It's a free and pretty spot-on Eurorack emulator, hundred of modules (some by the makers on here, in fact), and a patching system that works just like regular ol' Eurorack. Mind you, it likes FAST processors and LOADS of RAM to really cut loose, but when it's got those, it's an incredible way to see what and how things work in modular.

One other thing I would suggest: get a patchable synthesizer. This is the lane in between prepatched synths and fully modular ones. And thanks to Voldem...uh...Uli, Behringer reissued a 2600 for the rest of us unconnected, poor slobs. And it's actually VERY spot-on; I know this from 40+ years of futzing around with them, v.2 thru the present de facto v.5. Build quality is beefy, as well...bears NO resemblance to typical B. quality. But this is a really good learning choice, as I and loads of others from back in the day will state that the ARP 2600 was THE teaching synth, and the only reason it stopped being that is mainly due to ARP's infamous Avatar fiasco and general mismanagement that tanked them by 1981. Plus...it interconnects with Eurorack, so that when you're REALLY ready to build, the 2600 and the Eurorack "speak the same language", namely 1V/8va scaling and positive gate/triggers, and you can use the 2600 as a "core" device for a bigger modular.

Lastly, it's $650, and contains pretty much zero potential for adding anything "wrong". Several months with that, plus studying builds and maybe getting a copy of "Patch and Tweak" (which'll give you some REAL ideas about what modules do and how to get them to do that...and MORE) would be a good idea as well. But don't do what's shown above, for the love of god. Take the time to study, work out ideas, and work with a patchable synth, and you won't regret it in the end.

Provided, I'll state once more, that this isn't a trolling attempt.

Tbh, I'm kinda copying Christophe Beck. He's mad, like you guys! Also note that this is only Rack 1A out of 6 racks. And if it makes you feel better, imagine it without the 1u tiles. I'm starting to think I should've put those in Rack 1B instead. Also, I'm not actually sure about those mults on the left (Doepfer and 2hp). However the ones on the right, I'm sure. Feel free to check out all my racks if you want to know exactly what I'm trying to do, I'll make them all public now. Again, I'm a beginner, so go easy on me please.

Here's my reference: https://twitter.com/cbeckofficial/status/887059471356133376

I might not actually buy EVERYTHING he has. I'm just trying to study his style and see what improvements need to be made to fit MY style.

-- JimHowell1970

+1. I'm looking at this, and I have literally NO IDEA what some of this is doing in here. Like, SEVEN mults? And three are buffered? Unless you're splitting a single CV off to 16 separate VCOs, this is bonkers. Spendy bonkers, at that!

If this isn't a troll (and I'll give everyone 3:1 odds that it is), just delete this thing and start over, preferably AFTER studying other experienced users' builds beforehand. And I'd also suggest this: https://vcvrack.com/ It's a free and pretty spot-on Eurorack emulator, hundred of modules (some by the makers on here, in fact), and a patching system that works just like regular ol' Eurorack. Mind you, it likes FAST processors and LOADS of RAM to really cut loose, but when it's got those, it's an incredible way to see what and how things work in modular.

One other thing I would suggest: get a patchable synthesizer. This is the lane in between prepatched synths and fully modular ones. And thanks to Voldem...uh...Uli, Behringer reissued a 2600 for the rest of us unconnected, poor slobs. And it's actually VERY spot-on; I know this from 40+ years of futzing around with them, v.2 thru the present de facto v.5. Build quality is beefy, as well...bears NO resemblance to typical B. quality. But this is a really good learning choice, as I and loads of others from back in the day will state that the ARP 2600 was THE teaching synth, and the only reason it stopped being that is mainly due to ARP's infamous Avatar fiasco and general mismanagement that tanked them by 1981. Plus...it interconnects with Eurorack, so that when you're REALLY ready to build, the 2600 and the Eurorack "speak the same language", namely 1V/8va scaling and positive gate/triggers, and you can use the 2600 as a "core" device for a bigger modular.

Lastly, it's $650, and contains pretty much zero potential for adding anything "wrong". Several months with that, plus studying builds and maybe getting a copy of "Patch and Tweak" (which'll give you some REAL ideas about what modules do and how to get them to do that...and MORE) would be a good idea as well. But don't do what's shown above, for the love of god. Take the time to study, work out ideas, and work with a patchable synth, and you won't regret it in the end.

Provided, I'll state once more, that this isn't a trolling attempt.

-- Lugia

Yes, Lugia, I'm not trolling. And yes, Lugia, Chris probably has 16 VCOs (or more) and I probably will as well. He earns millions of dollars off of film scoring, of course he can afford all this.

And I've got more than that at my own disposal...and I STILL think the overuse of those mults is not the right way to proceed. And this is coming from about 40 years of work in this medium.

You're confusing the presence of equipment with the successful use of it. Just because Christophe Beck works this way does NOT mean that it's the proper method. Equipment != success.

EDIT: And also, the current approach wastes a bunch of space and money. Instead of popping in mults all over the place, use this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-utility-1-mix-mult This way, if you need to split off a bunch of buffered outs, they're all in this one module along with some unity-gain mixing capabilities. It's also only $211-ish, as opposed to the present approach, which comes in at around $365, and it only needs 12 hp to accomplish this instead of the current situation.

And I've got more than that at my own disposal...and I STILL think the overuse of those mults is not the right way to proceed. And this is coming from about 40 years of work in this medium.

You're confusing the presence of equipment with the successful use of it. Just because Christophe Beck works this way does NOT mean that it's the proper method. Equipment != success.

EDIT: And also, the current approach wastes a bunch of space and money. Instead of popping in mults all over the place, use this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-utility-1-mix-mult This way, if you need to split off a bunch of buffered outs, they're all in this one module along with some unity-gain mixing capabilities. It's also only $211-ish, as opposed to the present approach, which comes in at around $365, and it only needs 12 hp to accomplish this instead of the current situation.
-- Lugia

Alright! I get it! But really not. I have no idea what unity-gain and buffered outs mean. But anyway, can anyone maybe identify all the modules (just for fun, take it easy) in the twitter link I embedded above or is there a website for this?