Hey all,

Looking for some recommendations for utilities! This is my first setup, and I still need a good way to integrate into my home recording setup. I bought a small kit with modules included, but quickly realized i needed to make some adjustments to optimize the footprint (84hp). I've added everything silver + the disting, but the envelope, vcf and afterneath I will potentially sell/trade for smaller modules. Any suggestions for getting midi in and a duophonic line out? Other utilities that will best serve my first build?

Thank you!

a bit more background would be useful

what is your current recording setup? DAW and audio interface/mixer
do you want to integrate external instruments into your modular?
what sort of music are you intending to produce?
roughly where in the world are you? continent is probably good enough

some basics to get you started though:
effects could probably be handled quite well by a fx aid xl - replacing the afterneath or adding to it
in a tiny system like this envelopes can probably be handled by Pam's

re utilities:
mutable links is quite useful - it has 3 sections - a buffered mult (primarily for v/oct signals, but can be used for others), a mixer/buffered mult/precision adder, a 3 way mixer
mutable kinks is useful if you can find it - a rectifier (alters the shape of waveforms in various ways), simple logic circuit, sample and hold (with noise source - think semi-random value generator)
if you can't find a kinks then try to find a wmd/ssf toolbox - which has a variety of utilities in 6hp
happy nerding 3*MIA - which is a combination mixer, inverter, offset and attenuator again in 6hp

read through the manuals of all of these modules and try to cover as many of the functions as possible - you probably won't need (or at least won't think you need all of them) right now - but sooner or later you will

disting can cover quite a few - but only 1 at a time! so you can at least have a play with them to get a feel for what they do

smaller modules are not necessarily a good idea - whilst they do enable you to cram more functionality in to a smaller area, there is a huge trade of with ergonomics - often the better solution is (unfortunately) a bigger case

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

a bit more background would be useful

what is your current recording setup? DAW and audio interface/mixer
do you want to integrate external instruments into your modular?
what sort of music are you intending to produce?
roughly where in the world are you? continent is probably good enough

*Thank you for the feedback!

I currently record my sp-303 and sp-555 and Digitone through my dj mixer (Pioneer djm-800) into my audio interface (scarlet 2i2). Everything goes into Ableton when it's time to record and mix. I have been considering getting a desktop mixer though to better accommodate my instruments.

I think I'd like the option to sequence with the digitone or manipulate samples with the eurorack. I want to make anything from generative ambient to hip hop to industrial. I basically want enough to be flexible. I'm located in NYC

I guess I was hoping to not get a bigger case but this seems to be a solution that keeps coming up haha.

Greetings,

Just my 2c worth. For utilities I'd consider grabbing an Ornament and Crime. Multiple apps that cover a wide variety of things. Smallish footprint. Pretty easy to navigate. Easy on the checkbook. Checkout SynthDads YouTube channel. He has a great playlist regarding the OC. It was a later addition to my rack cause it jus didn't look all that sexy. I wish I would of had it as one of my first.

With the Batumi I can't recommend any higher of getting the Expert firmware update....it's transformative.

Good Luck

Your first build shouldn't be this small. Small builds add a huge layer of complexity. There isn't any room to expand or fix a problem or modify the build once you've used it for a while.

Small builds that are "good" are much, much easier when you're experienced.

Buy a reasonably sized case like a Mantis, Behringer GO, etc. Try to get your first iteration built using about half of your space. Then as you grow, you can revise your case, push your system in the direction(s) you want to go, and not get stuck with a system that you can't fully utilize.

Of course, you can always buy a second case/rack. But it's a lot cheaper in the long run to just build in a case larger than you need.

+1 on Ronin's advice. Going this small on a starter system is sort of brutal. For one thing, these little "skiff builds" can't substitute for what you can get even with just a second row. Secondly, all you learn with these is a very basic (actually, TOO basic) signal path, and nothing about how supporting modules, etc can up the game of the "usual" modules. The above WILL make sound, sure...but only a fairly basic set with basic programming/playing methods. And you can pretty much forget about duophony, unless you like programming patches with a pair of tweezers on ultra-dense modules with tiny controls.

Seriously, do yourself a solid and get a Mantis. Yeah, it's bigger...but that's the whole point. More space = better ergonomics and a better module complement. And those factors are a big part of whether you can't keep your hands off of the synth...versus letting it gather dust in a corner or closet.

Appreciate this feedback! Yeah I'm realizing this instrument has a much steeper learning curve than most of the other things I've taken on. I'm excited to fully dive in but I know it might take a bit longer now to build out. Currently tracking down a 6U case and have been gear purging to make room for more modular.