When a module here falls under multiple categories/functions, is that really legit or like, do I have to buy modules with only one function each?

Quite legit, in fact. Maths is a good example...yes, it's capable of being everything it's tagged with, and then some. If you're doing a build that's under 200 hp, searching out the good multifunction modules is pretty important. Just make sure the functionality on those that look interesting isn't TOO dense, which would make it a big PITA to program or tweak.

The category tags for modules need to be taken with a grain of salt. There is no substitute for reading the manuals and finding out what modules can actually do. Pam's New Workout, for example, is tagged with "Sequencer" and "Envelope Generator", but its capabilities in those two areas are fairly limited (though still useful).

indeed
sequencer includes both trigger/gate and melodic sequencers - which can be confusing
as usual the only solution is RTFM

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Is it safe to assume that the first and/or second tags on a module are the 'primary' functions for each. I get 'RTFM' but hoping there is also a certain degree of hierarchy in place for the tags

JB

this user has left ModularGrid

Depends on the size of your case and how difficult to use functions and how much menu diving and hidden button combos are involved for me anyways. Take Expert Sleepers Disting EX, it packs massive features in small space but man that module is a royal pain to navigate and use without lots of menu diving and study of the manuals! I have an O&C to learn and hope that is not as bad.

In many cases, I like simplicity take clocks for example. I love my Pam New Workout and while there are some menus and encoders to use, it is not that difficult for what it offers. In contrast, something like Shakmat Clock O Pawn is still a great clock but dead simple to use and no menu screens to deal with.

Is it safe to assume that the first and/or second tags on a module are the 'primary' functions for each. I get 'RTFM' but hoping there is also a certain degree of hierarchy in place for the tags
-- jb61264

only if there are 1 or 2 tags for the module - tag order appears to be alphabetic

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

this user has left ModularGrid

Yeah it gets confusing sometimes in how tags are applied to modules. Take Shakmat Clock O Pawn and Time Wizard it really is a clock module and clock divider but can have some trigger based sequencer features and some logic functions while still easy and fun to use.

-- jb61264

only if there are 1 or 2 tags for the module - tag order appears to be alphabetic
-- JimHowell1970

Geez, how very non-observant of me...will definitely take that into consideration now as well...lol

JB

Depends on the size of your case and how difficult to use functions and how much menu diving and hidden button combos are involved for me anyways. Take Expert Sleepers Disting EX, it packs massive features in small space but man that module is a royal pain to navigate and use without lots of menu diving and study of the manuals! I have an O&C to learn and hope that is not as bad.

In many cases, I like simplicity take clocks for example. I love my Pam New Workout and while there are some menus and encoders to use, it is not that difficult for what it offers. In contrast, something like Shakmat Clock O Pawn is still a great clock but dead simple to use and no menu screens to deal with.
-- sacguy71

the key to this is - don't expect, or even try, to learn all functions of a swiss army knife module - learn the few that you want to use - disting favourites really helps with this, for example - and have a decent idea of the scope of the module

think about how you'd use an actual swiss knife - 90% of the time you use it as a knife, maybe you use the scissors 5% of the time, the saw 4% of the time - wtf are the other things?

if you suddenly need a 'xyz' module - then looking up the manual on your phone to check how it works is not that much of an inconvenience is it? - chances are you really don't need this function mid-performance - and if you do, at least with disting: the i/o is almost identical most of the time and working out what parameters are available is not that difficult - just click the Z pot

as for modules with secret handshakes to access hidden functions - have a play with them - if the hidden feature is important/useful to you then you'll probably remember the handshake to get there having done it a dozen times or so - if it's not that important to you then you can probably find it in a couple of minutes - if and when you need it - just don't count on it during a performance

It's all about trade-offs. Modules that are one-knob-one-function are much easier to understand in terms of signal flow and learning curve. But they tend to take up more space and are more expensive.

Micro-sized modules (think 2HP) seem to make a lot of sense in being able to pack more functionality into less space. But once you tweak a few 2HP wiggly plastic knobs, you'll just start hating them for anything that requires a bit of fine and careful adjustment. They also tend to be deeper in order to fit into 2HP. A whole bunch of sad comes to town when your brand new module bottoms out in your case and doesn't fit where you want it to or not at all. Also, packing a bunch of 2HP modules together generates a LOT of heat in a small space and you can easily put more modules into a case than your power supply can handle. Over-taxing your power supply can lead to some costly damage.

Modules that are feature packed tend to have a steep learning curve or require A LOT of memorization to be able to use fluidly. Pack a bunch of those into a case and you'll forever be pulling out the instruction manual and reading/rereading things... INSTEAD OF MAKING MUSIC.

Stopping to read a manual is a serious buzz-kill when you've got a hot patch going. Memorizing functionality varies by person. Some are good at it, some are bad. No judgment... but know yourself. I'm bad at it and using modules like those from Mutable Instruments do not work for me. Too many combinations of button presses, LED colors etc. They are fantastic modules. I'm just not good with them.