The Monthly Starter Rack is designed to be a set of complimentary modules for a small but effective first step into Eurorack, for under $1000. Paired with some sort of expandable power and rack mount (such as the Happy Ending Kit from Tiptop Audio) and multi-purpose keyboard or sequencer (like the KMI QuNexus keyboard or the Korg SQ-1 sequencer), you will be able to play your instrument and have room to grow, as well as sync with other devices, route midi from your computer to your modular, and more.

Each month will feature a unique collection of modules, to serve different musical uses, always below the $1000 threshold. While I have not tested every module myself, the Monthly Starter Rack is meant to provide a reliable starting point from which to expand.

What would you add or remove from the rack? Let me know, and I might include your suggestions next month...!

Get rid of that silly Maths. Everyone has one... :/

lol Seriously though, this is a cool idea. Do one centered around a Doepfer A-147-2 VCDLFO, a CFM Bipolar Half-Wave Rectifier, and a WMD/SSF S.P.O. Really powerful little combination of modules.

also maths doesn't play well with passive modules like the meng-qi dplpg
and for up to a grand you could get a lot more bang for buck with simpler modules and it would be better to learn from

Thanks for the input guys! What do you think would be a better combo of envelopes? I've had some luck with Maths and passive VCAs that I've built, but it does act finicky with the Unity outputs. Trying to find reasonably priced, multi-purpose envelopes is like a needle in a haystack! I know the Doepfer quad envelope is pretty cheap...

By the way, I know one person with 4 Maths, one person with 5!!

Doepfer Quad Decay thing is pretty awesome, yeah. I've been trying to get more people into LFOs with a reset input. They really make great envelopes, especially when they can be hit with CV. (This is part of the reason I suggest VCDLFO.) Also, check the WMD/SSF ADSRVCA - pretty worth the money. Slew limiters and waveshapers, too, can do wonderful things to gates and the like... Analog Ordinance Shrapnel? IDK... maybe I have just gotten bored with more "traditional" envelope generation.

A good option to replace the maths would be the 4ms Quad Pingable LFO. Each can be used as a one-shot AD if the ping clock is stopped. Plus, rhythmic modulation and a clear next step for expansion (e.g. QCD).