what, where did that Data Bender come from. It isn't permanent right, or?

And damn, you are running out of space soon

what, where did that Data Bender come from. It isn't permanent right, or?

-- cpaf

It'd better not be permanent, because right now you're missing pretty much ALL necessary utility modules, and some critical modules (such as a proper complement of VCAs) are nowhere to be seen.

If you've not gotten the A-100 cab already...don't. Tiptop's Mantis cases are bigger, have about the same power specs, and cost way less than Doepfer's cabs. The Doepfer stuff is great if you need depth, or if you're planning to take your rig on the road, but if the build is intended mainly for studio use or only occasional live work, it's just about perfect.

And yes, you can expand the Mantis via a link bracket to have two of them stacked. Plus, going to 2 x 104 gives you 40 more hp to put some of those modules I mentioned above into this so it'll work like a synthesizer and not like an expensive box of noisemakers.

No don't have the data Bender and not gonna get it any time Soon. I have a Holemade case but could ude more space in near future.

Right now im using delta v as a vca but need for sure a dedicated vca. What other utilitys would you suggest?

Right now im using delta v as a vca but need for sure a dedicated vca. What other utilitys would you suggest?
-- Don_Simo

Well, it needs to be ones with that "Veils topology"...that variable response curve has piles of abuse potential. My suggestion, since Emilie is leaving the building, would be to grab a good Veils clone (I kinda like the Codex Modulex version). That way, you get four VCAs plus that "breakable mixbus" that lets you break out VCAs when needed. Going to rework this, give me a hot minute...
ModularGrid Rack
OK...what happened here...? Well, for one thing I've reordered the build so that the division between rows is a LOT easier to deal with. Some modules were also swapped out for smaller versions of the same thing. And then there were some "fixes"...

TOP: The Miso Cornflakes replaces the Qu-bit sampler/looper. Same idea, smaller space. Kept the Cloud Terrarium...it's a good choice, despite being quite huge. Then you see the Codex Modulex Veils clone...and here's how to split it: send your "lefts" to VCAs 1 and 2, "rights" to 3 and 4, then take the summed results from outputs 2 and 4. Voila!...stereo. Next, I swapped the Beograd out for a similar (but more bonkers) Bastl filter, their Ikarie stereo multimode...but if you look it up, there's a LOT more going on behind the panel than you had with the Xaoc one. I put in a pair of VCAs after that with the intent there being to control amplitudes going on to the Beads from the Ikarie. You can use that dual VCA for input level control over the Beads in general as well. Then Beads...followed by Frequency Central's Stasis Leak, which is a mono-in/stereo-out reverb/tap tempo delay/chorus. I went with that because it fits perfectly with the TEXMIX send/return architecture. The FX Aid XL can also take a mono signal in the left input and stereoize that, so it works with the TEXMIX as well as being a true stereo thruput if needed.

BOTTOM: Pam's, Moskva, then I added a Batumi/Poti combo for your LFOs, a Frap 321 and After Later dual "Veils" VCA, and a Zadar/Nin for envelopes. The modules in between (the 321 and dual VCA) are for modifying/altering/mangling your modulation signals, with the result being even wilder modulation signals for use all over the build. And last is the TEXMIX, but I changed out the stereo input with a mono one, since you've got a build here that's got two potential main stereo ins. Because of that, you can just pan the inputs hard left and hard right, and now you've actually got VCA control over levels from two stereo sources. Perfect!

So, yeah...some squishing was necessary, but now the result is a MUCH more potent build since you've now got the VCAs and modulation that can get this build to really cut loose. You actually get to use the TEXMIX's send/return capabilities as well, since the right sort of FX are present. And in the end, I think this came out pretty solid. Oh...and as for the Cornflakes input, you can conceivably use your headphone preamp on the TEXMIX to feed stereo back to it for live sampling. Just make sure you've crammed a big enough microSD in it!

with the tex-mix you can use the 2 mono sends as a stereo send to a single stereo effect (or effect chain) which is how it's set up on the stereo channels - this allows for a further stereo channel input to the mixer on the spare return - although you only get a volume control and not panning or mutes - nor access to the direct outs if you are using those

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

One thing I'd note... as a Moskwa II owner, I can't imagine it without also adding the Ostankino expander... it adds so much functionality and fun. I'd suggest making room for that, if at all possible.

One thing I'd note... as a Moskwa II owner, I can't imagine it without also adding the Ostankino expander... it adds so much functionality and fun. I'd suggest making room for that, if at all possible.
-- Shakespeare

Oddly enough, that came to mind when I was working out my variation, but I noted that the problem with adding that to the Moskwa II was that the Moskwa II was taking up the necessary space for its own "helper" module. Hate it when that happens...

-- Don_Simo

Well, it needs to be ones with that "Veils topology"...that variable response curve has piles of abuse potential. My suggestion, since Emilie is leaving the building, would be to grab a good Veils clone (I kinda like the Codex Modulex version). That way, you get four VCAs plus that "breakable mixbus" that lets you break out VCAs when needed. Going to rework this, give me a hot minute...
ModularGrid Rack
OK...what happened here...? Well, for one thing I've reordered the build so that the division between rows is a LOT easier to deal with. Some modules were also swapped out for smaller versions of the same thing. And then there were some "fixes"...

TOP: The Miso Cornflakes replaces the Qu-bit sampler/looper. Same idea, smaller space. Kept the Cloud Terrarium...it's a good choice, despite being quite huge. Then you see the Codex Modulex Veils clone...and here's how to split it: send your "lefts" to VCAs 1 and 2, "rights" to 3 and 4, then take the summed results from outputs 2 and 4. Voila!...stereo. Next, I swapped the Beograd out for a similar (but more bonkers) Bastl filter, their Ikarie stereo multimode...but if you look it up, there's a LOT more going on behind the panel than you had with the Xaoc one. I put in a pair of VCAs after that with the intent there being to control amplitudes going on to the Beads from the Ikarie. You can use that dual VCA for input level control over the Beads in general as well. Then Beads...followed by Frequency Central's Stasis Leak, which is a mono-in/stereo-out reverb/tap tempo delay/chorus. I went with that because it fits perfectly with the TEXMIX send/return architecture. The FX Aid XL can also take a mono signal in the left input and stereoize that, so it works with the TEXMIX as well as being a true stereo thruput if needed.

BOTTOM: Pam's, Moskva, then I added a Batumi/Poti combo for your LFOs, a Frap 321 and After Later dual "Veils" VCA, and a Zadar/Nin for envelopes. The modules in between (the 321 and dual VCA) are for modifying/altering/mangling your modulation signals, with the result being even wilder modulation signals for use all over the build. And last is the TEXMIX, but I changed out the stereo input with a mono one, since you've got a build here that's got two potential main stereo ins. Because of that, you can just pan the inputs hard left and hard right, and now you've actually got VCA control over levels from two stereo sources. Perfect!

So, yeah...some squishing was necessary, but now the result is a MUCH more potent build since you've now got the VCAs and modulation that can get this build to really cut loose. You actually get to use the TEXMIX's send/return capabilities as well, since the right sort of FX are present. And in the end, I think this came out pretty solid. Oh...and as for the Cornflakes input, you can conceivably use your headphone preamp on the TEXMIX to feed stereo back to it for live sampling. Just make sure you've crammed a big enough microSD in it!

-- Lugia

Wow really nice build. I appreciate your effort.
My problem is that i'm offen felling stuck with my system and this would really open it up.
You have a lot of VCA's in it. I know what they say but it's not too much?

I like the division of the tow rows, it makes it a lot easier.
I don't think I could get rid of Qu-bit Nebuale since i really love how it sound. Specially then you stretches the audio. I haven't looked into Miso but I not sure it can do the same. Funny enough I'm actually considering selling my Cloud Terrarium since I never clicked with it, but maybe things would change if I got some more utilities. Could you recommend another VCO (dual/stereo)?
the Codex Modulex Veils seems like a good option and great tip to split 1/2 and 3/4.
I love my Xaoc Belgrad but I always missed a stereo version of it and Ikarie seems like a super sweet filter, and as you say, it and do pretty much the same and a LOT more. It's really Interesting. I'm not sure why you would have a VCA to control the amplitude if the Ikarie before going into beads. Beads has an input gain so would that be necessary?
I'm not too sure about the FX aid XL. I know it can do a lot and sounds well but I'm not to keen on the presset approach. And it dosen't have true stereo in - maybe it's not necessary.
With Pam's you potential have 8 LFO's but you have more handson control with the Batumi. I really like the idea of the 321 and dual VCA to modifying/altering/mangling your modulation signals. I think that's something i really missing in my system. What do you think of Zadar? Is it necessary then you have Batumi, 321 and dual VCA?
Great idea about the Mono Texmix

and thanks for the great build and description

-- Shakespeare

year you right. it make total since.

ModularGrid Rack

Okay I gave it a try too. Still just a quick out of head version.

1. With Veils 2020 (or a clone..) you have enough VCA's to let go of Delta V. I replaced it with Cnoc from Instruo so you still got an extra envelope/function generator besides Zadar. I think that will be enough with Pam's doing stuff too.

2. Navigator from Acid Rain gives your rack some more hands on control, and a way to manipulate some cv

3. I replaced Nin with Ostankino. I think tying some extra functions to it really opens up your sequencer capabilities with Moskwa 2. You could choose a multi-channel cv generator instead though. I would look at Chaos Clank for some fun extra sequencing.

4. Nebulae is a mainstay I think. You definitely need to replace it with something similar at least - Cornflakes, Morphagene, Arbhar or something.

5. I put in Desmodus Versio so you have a delay!! (you need a dedicated delay in Modular, too fun!)

6. Then there was 2hp left. I have heard great things about Pluck, so added it for an extra voice so you have Pizza, Nebulae, Beads and Pluck as potential voices.

ModularGrid Rack

Okay I gave it a try too. Still just a quick out of head version.

1. With Veils 2020 (or a clone..) you have enough VCA's to let go of Delta V. I replaced it with Cnoc from Instruo so you still got an extra envelope/function generator besides Zadar. I think that will be enough with Pam's doing stuff too.

2. Navigator from Acid Rain gives your rack some more hands on control, and a way to manipulate some cv

3. I replaced Nin with Ostankino. I think tying some extra functions to it really opens up your sequencer capabilities with Moskwa 2. You could choose a multi-channel cv generator instead though. I would look at Chaos Clank for some fun extra sequencing.

4. Nebulae is a mainstay I think. You definitely need to replace it with something similar at least - Cornflakes, Morphagene, Arbhar or something.

5. I put in Desmodus Versio so you have a delay!! (you need a dedicated delay in Modular, too fun!)

6. Then there was 2hp left. I have heard great things about Pluck, so added it for an extra voice so you have Pizza, Nebulae, Beads and Pluck as potential voices.

Just an Idea for your 2hp left.

Either keep them open for later expansion of a small nifty utility you need to accomplish something specific. Or something more utilitarian like a passive LPG, Meng Qi - DPLPG comes to mind (the frontplate is 2hp but the vactrols on the back are a tiny bit lager, which could make positioning a little tricky in such a packed rack.) Also it's passive! So you spare some Amps for the other modules ;)

Just an Idea for your 2hp left.

Either keep them open for later expansion of a small nifty utility you need to accomplish something specific. Or something more utilitarian like a passive LPG, Meng Qi - DPLPG comes to mind (the frontplate is 2hp but the vactrols on the back are a tiny bit lager, which could make positioning a little tricky in such a packed rack.) Also it's passive! So you spare some Amps for the other modules ;)
-- zuggamasta

Ah thats a great idea actually! Heard good things about the DPLPG.

I was wondering, if with Ikarie you will get your filter-finger-fantasies covered. And then, with a heavy heart, sell Belgrad...(!)

Cause if you did you could seriously open up your rack some more! You could even get a small filter if you really wanted two, like WMD C4RBN which presumably is pretty awesome - and then you would still have a good amount of room left!

You could use it for another voice, an additional larger envelope generator like Quadrax or something and then take Cnoc out.

In general (and especially my own rack :S ...) I think envelope generators are underrepresented in a lot of racks. They are so nice for getting the best out of modules and adds potentially a lot of nice rythms to a sound/soundscape but also just simple voicings. E.g. with the help of something like Missed Opportunities to trigger them https://shop.cutelab.nyc/eurorack/missed-opportunities/