Hi All! I wanted to see if I can make something cool and "musical" with a bunch of sound sources and a single krell function. I really like how this came out.

This was a one take performance recording. Minor EQing and compression added to the final mix.

The basics here are that there is a single krell function coming from Maths and multed along with the End of Cycle gate. One gate goes to the Stochastic Inspiration Generator which is providing pitch information to four oscillators (Cloud Terrarium, Piston Honda, Elements, Brenso). One gate also goes to the Subharmonicon to drive its two internal sequencers. One gate goes to the gate input of Elements.

The Krell function is driving VCAs for the Cloud Terrarium and Piston Honda, but there is no VCA controlling amplitude for Brenso or Elements. The krell is also modulating the filter cutoff of Bionic Lester (for the Piston Honda).

All four channels of SIG are tuned to some variety of Dm (minor triad, minor 7th, minor pentatonic, etc. so each sound source will never play the same notes, but they do combine to make some very interesting chords.

CT and PH are set to "traditional" krell flowy/stabby sounds, Brenso is legato, but still somewhat abrupt, while Elements is plucky with a silky timbre. The Subharmonicon is mostly set to slow attack and medium release, but gets tweaked in the performance. SubH is quite subtle in this recording but fills a lot of sonic space with at least two of its oscillators always turned up and up to five of the six are dialed in at one point.

All kinds of modulation providing lots of movement throughout. I used Triple Sloths, Tides, Kermit, Ochd, Quadrax and Planar. Effects are from Mimeophon and Starlab. Sloths is modulating the Speed and Depth of the Starlab internal LFO which occasionally does very cool things.

Cheers!

Hi TumeniKnobs,

I love the relax-ness of this track, it relaxes me down, put me in a good and right mood and though I am sad the weekend is yet over again, your music helps me from not suffering too much of the "oh shit, this is the end of the weekend"-effect ;-)
(which the Sunday usually has as an effect on me like that, knowing that I have to work again tomorrow/Monday)

It cools me down and I am pretty sure due to your music, I can handle the upcoming week! :-) Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Nice work, TumeniKnobs

How do you like working with the Stochastic Inspiration Generator? It looks amazing but it makes me feel nervous that it does too much, if you get what I mean. I do a lot of Krell type patches too and although the idea is to hand over the controls to the patch, for some reason I don't want to let one module figure it all out. I'm sure this makes no sense!

Thanks for sharing

Nick

Many thanks Garfield and MBPNick. Much appreciated.

Re SIG - It has become my favorite module. I am using it in almost every patch these days. It does a lot, but it is very easy to learn and very versatile. I really like it for performing cool solos over sequenced tracks from Rene or Metrolopolix, but I have used it to drive drum beats - four channel gate outs to the gate ins on VPMEQD for example. It's also a great CV source for modulation. For me, if I want to have a quantized krell, then why bother with S/H and a quantizer? It's much easier to just drive the notes with SIG and adjust it on the fly. I can't recommend it enough. Cheers!

Nice, I'm going to check it out.