After months of looking at modules, hunting demos, and reading manuals to understand the intricacies of every module in this rack, I think I'm finally ready to start a thread on it. First few posts I'll go over modules in chunks, and give my rationale for why I think I want them, and how they'll work within the rack. So far I own some of these modules, and I have a KORG SQ-1 which I find very useful for sequencing my 104HP of modules. I'm thinking of expanding to a Minibrute 2s when the rack is finished, and getting another SQ-1 or keystep along the way to sequence and play lead sounds. I'm going to use the Pocket operator metal series to sample and create interesting drum lines/vocal&bass sounds. All in all, what I'm looking to get out of this system is a decent tool to live perform on, interact with real world sounds and instruments, and sample.

Current modules in my rack:

Intellijel uJack, Dixie ii+, MI Tides, 2hp Mix, Bastl Quattro Figaro, Erica mix/split, Erica VC Clock, Sys. 80 Jove, Sys. 80 850, Beast Dirty Glitch, Synthrotek VCA, Befaco VC ADSR

Next 5 (in order):

Maths, Disting, Ears, Phonogene, Fuzz Factory

Modules I want/have in this system and how I think I'll use them

(I'm gonna keep adding onto this section)

Sequencers – SQ-1, Keystep, Minibrute2S, PO Metal series
-SQ-1 I already own and find really intuitive and easy to use for creating a simple pattern.
-Keystep seems like an extremely useful tool for chord progressions and live performance.
-Metal series POs are the latest and greatest portable 16 step sequencers with the ability to add new sounds via sampling and some software. I own the PO-32 already and love it for adding an evolving drum beat and synth bass to my currently bland SQ-1 sequences.

External interaction/modulation – Ears, Phonogene, Hendrikson, Spring Reverb:
-Ears will probably be used for delayed percussive sounds using the cables I'm performing on the teleplexer with to scrape the surface. It's also good for guitars apparently, and I can use it to bring pocket operators up to modular level and not waste a VCA (ty DivKid)
-Using phonogene I'll probably sample an old vinyl and modulate the sound till I get some weird rhythmic thing going.
-Hendrikson will be my primary guitar interface unless there's something I'm missing that makes ears better for that. It's also a good stompbox FX send, I can't wait to hear eurorack sounds thru some Earthquaker pedals.
-Spring Reverb isn't really external (I mean kinda?) but I can just smack it for that classic springs clashing explosion/gun sound. Put thru fuzz factory it'd probably sound mad. It's 2hp less than the Intellijel one also which is cool.

Not too shabby! I think you might want to tinker a bit with the layout if this is intended for live use, so that you can get a little better 'flow' for the signal paths and make the setup a bit more intuitive. The only thing I would change out, to be honest, is the uJack...it's great if you're using Intellijel's mixers because it can directly interface with those, but with the Befaco it's just expensive and no better than a lot of other stereo-out modules. Have a look (under the 'Other' manufacturers) at Olitronik's PRO Out...gives you everything in the same space that the Intellijel does, but throws in metering and comes out saving some cash.

As regards the Keystep: yes. That really sums it up. I use one with my Digisound 80 rig, and just love the hell out of it. Also, if/when you jump up to the MB 2s, do consider adding one of the Rackbrutes. It's just a no-brainer move, lets you augment the MiniBrute 2s easily, and also ties into the above nicely. Arturia's really going to have an impact with their both-feet-first entry into Eurorack; this was, I think, a genius move by them.

Not too shabby! I think you might want to tinker a bit with the layout if this is intended for live use, so that you can get a little better 'flow' for the signal paths and make the setup a bit more intuitive. The only thing I would change out, to be honest, is the uJack...it's great if you're using Intellijel's mixers because it can directly interface with those, but with the Befaco it's just expensive and no better than a lot of other stereo-out modules. Have a look (under the 'Other' manufacturers) at Olitronik's PRO Out...gives you everything in the same space that the Intellijel does, but throws in metering and comes out saving some cash.

As regards the Keystep: yes. That really sums it up. I use one with my Digisound 80 rig, and just love the hell out of it. Also, if/when you jump up to the MB 2s, do consider adding one of the Rackbrutes. It's just a no-brainer move, lets you augment the MiniBrute 2s easily, and also ties into the above nicely. Arturia's really going to have an impact with their both-feet-first entry into Eurorack; this was, I think, a genius move by them.
-- Lugia

Thanks for the info man! I've already got the uJack and since I'm Canadian it shipped super fast and for free too! My plan was to upgrade to a dubmix and connect via jumpers, but then I found the befaco mixer with more channels and mute switches, which seems awesome for live use, and takes up no extra HP. Though the VU meter on the PRO Out seems useful, unless I could sell the uJack for roughly what I paid, I'm probably holding onto it. Also, I took a good hard look at my rack and instantly saw what you meant. I think this current layout is a lot more streamlined for quick patching/live use. As you can see I still care a good bit about the overall aesthetic of the case but now VCAs are closer to EGs, Voices are closer to effects, etc. but what I really like is having the Dirty glitch and Bastl stuff next to Ears. Now if I ever want to trigger my OCD, I can run my finger from the aluminum phonogene panel up exactly 1mm and have that sound amplified. Lol but seriously, thanks for the advice, I'm surely gonna get a keystep now, and keep in mind my workflow as I expand.

Yeah, exactly...differentiate between things to control directly and things which can be left alone, and treat the array of 'control-required' modules as sort of a surrogate control surface. Always works. A lot of people don't think out the ergonomics of what makes a synth an actual instrument, but you seem to have the specifics of use down. Nicely done!

You're going to dig the Keystep with this...I used to control the Digisound with either the CV output from my ARP 2600's keyboard or, alternately, with an MC-202. But this thing is like mashing both of those together and then some! And UNlike those...it's dirt-cheap. Maybe consider something MIDI-ish down the road that can deal with USB MIDI (Expert Sleepers FH-1, for example) and get twice as busy with BOTH control signal sets...