After doing some research, I have decided to build my first modular rack and modules from scratch. I am planning on building all of these modules based on the schematics provided by Noise Reap. I have plenty of experience soldering, analyzing and troubleshooting circuits, so no need to worry about that. I'm currently studying electrical engineering and have plenty of desktop/hardware synths (LXR Drumsynth, Roland Juno-106, ...) and am excited about getting into modular synthesis. I understand the two different schools of thought (east and west), and I think I could start out with the east-coast subtractive style. I started out with a couple modules, or at least the ones I thought covered the basics. Let me know if this rack works or if you have other suggestions, thanks!

ModularGrid Rack

It's an admirable idea...there's a lot of interesting DIY out there, and these are pretty good choices. However, there's a couple of key bits missing here. First up, you're missing a multiple. Now, with something this small, you could just as well get away with stackable 3.5mms or inline mults...but the other thing missing is an output stage, and that could be problematic unless you've got something that can step the voltage level down from modular to line. My suggestion: toss out the 4-step sequencer and use something inexpensive and outboard for that task (like an SQ-1) that gets you more functionality while still keeping the cost down. That would give you ample room for something like an Elby ASM-306...and that not only gives you balanced stereo outs, it also has an onboard headphone amp, plus it, too, is DIY. Olitronik's PRO Out wouldn't be a bad choice, either...it also gives you some stereo metering for your output levels.

Other than that, I'd suggest changing the order of the modules to make the signal flow a bit more intuitive. Something such as:

uBraids / Bermudas / Swisso / RPG / Loafers / Dopes / Lola / 2VCA / Output

...which gives you a clear left-to-right flow with a minimum of 'backward' patching. If you go with a multiple, also, that would be best to the far-left end of the case so you can branch out CVs to the oscillators.