Hello, this is my first time attempting to build my own synth as well as my first time using any sort of modular system. What I wanted to do was make a module that could be versatile enough to work as a drum module with a sequencer or as a synth Voice through a keyboard. Am I going down the right path? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have a few thoughts:

The filters and VCO's should sound great together, and the noise/s&h is a great addition!

You could really use a VCA and mixer. Some modules contain both. I recommend checking out something like Befaco's A*B+C, which can act as two 2 channel mixers, one of which has a through-zero VCA, allowing for both +V envelope cutoff's and ring modulation, which would be extremely helpful for weird drum sounds; or Mutable instruments Streams, which has its own built-in envelopes and a vactrol emulation mode for a LPG effect (in case you want Buchla bongo-type stuff, although you'll want an additional mixer).

You'll also want another oscillator or modulation source. I'd even consider replacing Pittsburgh Modular's ADSR with something like Mutable Instrument's Peaks, which can handle multiple outputs at once.

I'd also recommend not ruling out starting with an all-in-one semimodular. Pittsburgh Modular's Lifeforms SV-1 sounds phenomenal and has everything you want. Or even build around what functionality it appears to offer. There's plenty of options out there, but you hit on the majority of what you'd need for a decent monosynth or drum+snare system.

Thanks for the reply. Would 3 VCOs be overkill in this type of setup? I was trying to keep things pretty basic to learn. Assuming I have 48hp to play with, would there be anything wrong with building this module; and then addIng another 48hp case later with mixers, effects and VCAs and chaining then together?

Sorry if I’m asking simple questions. I have a DFAM now and will probably get a Mother-32 soon. It is also like to begin to understand how to build my own.

You might be right, three full-blown VCO's may be overkill, but an LFO would be very useful and free up your other audio-rate oscillator for things like FM or a secondary voice to mix in. You also definitely need a couple of VCA's - one for the voice to fully silence once the main envelope closes, and one to be able to play around with things like bringing modulation in with an envelope, etc. There are filters (granted, with only one filter) that include a built-in VCA, like the SSF Pole-Zero or Mutable Instruments Ripples, but a dedicated VCA - or even one included in a mixer of some sort - is a necessary utility to have on hand.

I've got to agree with dinorrific's observation above that a patchable system might be a better next step, although I'm more inclined to suggest an Arturia Minibrute 2 over a Mother32. I like what Arturia's up to with their system integration...the Eurorack cases that fit together with the 2 or 2s, complete with handle and stand, and nothing being hideously expensive. Plus with the Eurobrute cases being 88 hp, you can pop the DFAM into that instead and still have room for some further augmentation. Have a look at that setup: https://www.arturia.com/minibrute-2/overview . The price on the Eurobrutes are also really nice; the 176 hp 6U version retails right now for $359, power included.

Thanks for the replies. I've looked into Arturia gear, but haven't liked the way it "feels". The 2s looks interesting though. I am going to look into that 176hp case as an option for the future. That seems like a great deal. I think I am going to use my 48hp case for an effects module to run the DFAM through. I think thats probably more what I need at this moment.

I think that, with the early Arturia stuff, there were some concerns. But they've got some excellent stuff out now, starting around the period where they introduced the Microbrute. I have one; I think it's built like a brick s**thouse, actually! Definitely an 'everyday user', not something I have to be delicate with. Same goes for my BSPs, and I'm digging using the Keystep with my modular these days. While I would've given them a pass back when they were coming out with things like the Origin, they've majorly stepped their hardware game up.