For my first build I need to put together something to add to the project I’m working on. So I’ve decided to build this dual wave guide synthesizer. I figure it can be used in conjunction with my current setup (DFAM, monologue, Mx-1, KP3), or as a synthesizer on its own.
So far I’ve acquired
Lifeforms Outs (installed)
Mysteron
Synthrotek BB Delay

This is enough to patch it up and synced it to the DFAM. Next week I’ll hopefully get the pressure points, buffered mult and ARP.

Tiny but cool...I'd go with a regular passive mult, though; you don't have enough voltage splitting in here for it, and you can save a little chunk of cash that way.

Definitely post some noisemaking examples with this thing...it looks properly 'abusable'!

Ooo, this looks fun

Tiny but cool...I'd go with a regular passive mult, though; you don't have enough voltage splitting in here for it, and you can save a little chunk of cash that way.

Definitely post some noisemaking examples with this thing...it looks properly 'abusable'!
-- Lugia

Thanks! I’ll look into passive multi, I just now learning about these things. I was looking to make things as “bomb proof” as possible; but without realizing the implications of that. Knowing now that I have to further consider power consumption really helps!

Ooo, this looks fun
-- vmb1321

I’m hoping for a bit of that

Updated to passive multi

Modulargrid tells you how much current from each rail you will be drawing, but don't rely 100% on that. In any case, it's a maximum draw number, IE with everything on there pulling it's max.
In any case, it's pretty helpful. The manuals for most modules, or at least their webpage from the manufacturer, should also tell you how much current it will draw.

Except for one little issue: the 'power-on' draw issue. Most Eurorack modules don't have this to a major degree, but there's some major offenders out there. The Roland Aira modules are one example that're particularly egregious, and the vast majority of tube modules (not all, tho) have a big power-on draw, sometimes over twice the normal operating draw.

Even so, a multitude of little power-on issues can accumulate into a big one. My rule of thumb, drawing from amateur radio experience (where current draws can change quite a bit during basic operation) is to exceed a specified draw by at least 1/3rd. So, for example, if your totalled operating spec is 500 mA, make sure you can supply at least 750 mA. The extra amperage won't be a problem (it's a measure of capacity, unlike voltage) and having the reserve will not only avoid power-up problems, it'll also let the P/S loaf along with less heat and component strain, making that part of the system last longer.

Except for one little issue: the 'power-on' draw issue. Most Eurorack modules don't have this to a major degree, but there's some major offenders out there. The Roland Aira modules are one example that're particularly egregious, and the vast majority of tube modules (not all, tho) have a big power-on draw, sometimes over twice the normal operating draw.

Even so, a multitude of little power-on issues can accumulate into a big one. My rule of thumb, drawing from amateur radio experience (where current draws can change quite a bit during basic operation) is to exceed a specified draw by at least 1/3rd. So, for example, if your totalled operating spec is 500 mA, make sure you can supply at least 750 mA. The extra amperage won't be a problem (it's a measure of capacity, unlike voltage) and having the reserve will not only avoid power-up problems, it'll also let the P/S loaf along with less heat and component strain, making that part of the system last longer.
-- Lugia

Thanks for the advice

Updated Layout. Hopefully my Mysteron will be here tomorrow (stupid storm), the Mult and DLY are at home. Tomorrow I should be able to order the Pressure Points, and maybe the ARP. Im hoping for some patchy DFAM goodness tomorrow night.

Progress Update:
I installed the Mysteron which will provide the main voice for this synth build, as well as the DLY. I quickly realized that I will have to reorder the modules due to the power board location. Later today I’ll get to hear her for the first time ❤️

Updated to 90hp:
The 48hp power supply that came with the case only provided intermittent power, even though it was well under the power consumption levels. I installed them all on the 90hp case with no problems and its working correctly. Which gives me a chance to build this into a more dynamic synth now that I have extra space. Also, lesson learned; I need to be careful where I source modules and cases/power supplies. Its probably better to buy new when possible.

That being said, the Mysteron and the Delay work amazing together. I’m running the Mysteron off the trigger, pitch, VCA, and VCF EG of the DFAM; then out to the DLY. After looking into things a bit more I think I am going to continue this synth build in a "West Coast" direction. Maybe an Elements or Plaits.

-- Lugia

Here's my first patch using this synth. I have the Mysteron being clocked from the DFAM and then out through the DLY, I hopefully will have the Pressure Points tomorrow or (maybe with any luck) today. Having the Mult really came in handy as now I can use the Pitch out on the DFAM to modulate the VFC Decay on the DFAM and the Pitch 2 input of the Mysteron.

Yep...as suspected, high abuse potential. Love the 'irreparably-damaged bouzouki'-type racket the Mysteron's doing there, especially when it hangs up on that higher note in the pattern. The distorted, metal-screechy parts when the sound goes into that overloaded-signal type of distortion is excellent! That's going to be an interesting little rig...

Yep...as suspected, high abuse potential. Love the 'irreparably-damaged bouzouki'-type racket the Mysteron's doing there, especially when it hangs up on that higher note in the pattern. The distorted, metal-screechy parts when the sound goes into that overloaded-signal type of distortion is excellent! That's going to be an interesting little rig...
-- Lugia

Thank you, I am very happy with how its turning out so far. I've always been a fan of feedback; when I played Bass I'd use a tube fender bassman through a 4x10 and a GK 1000 watt through a 1x15 to be able to get some controlled feedback. When I turned up the re-generation and it started howling I literally shed a tear.

Oh, yeah...it's a beautiful sound when you 'ring' things like that. On one thing I've got on Bandcamp (and hopefully elsewhere later this week, finally) entitled "Beneath Puget", I got the theremin on the track to 'ring' its processor chain...and it's the trippiest moment when that final pitch keeps building and getting purer in tone, then rings off into the background layers. I still recall that happening when I was cutting the track about 18 years ago, and going 'wowwww!' when that ring-off happened. Love it when those 'happy accidents' pop up...

She is complete (for now)
Final Build list:
Pitsburgh Modular Cell 48
Make Noise Mysteron
Make Noise Pressure Points
Synthrotek DLY
TipTop Audio uZeus
Pittsburgh Modular Lifefroms Outs

I had to cut the ARP and the passive Mult in order to fit in a power supply. But now it is a self contained synth like I intended it to be. Eventually I will move everything over to the Cell 90 and use this as a control device with sequencers, PP and probably some sort of random event generator.