Hey,
Looking for a new synth I recently stumbled upon the Pittsburgh System 10.1 plus ( http://pittsburghmodular.com/system-101-plus/ ) and now I'm intrigued :D
As a newbie to modular synthesizers I like the idea that I could just use it as a "normal" synthesizer for as long as I like but still have room for expanding it and getting into all the modular stuff...
I'd be really interested to hear some experienced peoples opinions! :)
Would anyone suggest a different set of modules for a really minimal setup in that sort of price range?

thank you very much for any suggestions :)

I'm kinda new as well (to Eurorack - not synths or modular - had an MFOS Sound Lab and an MS-20 at one point, have a Novation Bass Station 2 and Waldorf Blofeld now), and I got into pricing individual modules, wanting to lean towards getting a two monosynth, and drums lineup. What I found is that the Pittsburgh Synth Box is the same cost as buying an ADSR, LFO, and decent Filter, and hey - free synth taboot. So for the oscillator I really wanted to get into Eurorack over - the Mutable Instruments Braids, I bought the PMSB as it's backend, and a free second, and sub, oscillator. Also picked up a Mutable Peaks for my Kick and Snare. I picked up a 168hp suitcase on eBay for $150, and a Tiptop power supply. Eventually I'll split the two synths in half, maybe get a Maths, and expand the drums, some Tiptop or Mutant stuff. The Pittsburgh stuff to me looks like a good enough of a gateway drug, and made it possible for me to get a better system to start out with than the pricier stuff. Ideally, like everyone on here I imagine, I'm wanting to get this Arturia Beatstep Pro, but God knows when that's coming out.

Thank you for replying :) Yeah I've heard other people say that the other modules on the System 10.1 aren't really necessary... So are you happy with the synth box?