Hello dear modular enthousiasts,

I am a fairly new modular user and I think i have ordered the wrong module and the manual isnt really giving me the clarity i want before sending it back.

[SITUATION]
Module: Doepfer A-192-2 CV/Gate to Midi/USB

I guess it's in the name of the module, but google search results gave me this module as a first result when i was looking for a:

-- MIDI to CV-- module.

I figured it could translate MIDI to CV and vice versa because it showed up in the results. It even had a MIDI out AND a MIDI in port. Yesterday when my package arrived, it seemed like it was actually a module that could only translate CV to midi and not the other way around. This makes the module useless for me right now and i still cant play my synth with a keyboard.

[QUESTION]
Is there no possible way for the a-192-2 to translate MIDI into CV?
If not, what is a good alternative? Also why does the module have a MIDI in port??

I see there's on the market:
- Erica Synths Black MIDI-CV V2 (195 euros)
- Intellijel µMIDI (245 euros)
-Doepfer A-190-2 (110 euros)

Ive read the descriptions of all of these modules on diffent sites, but it would be really helpful if someone could help me choose the best one for my situation.

I would like to play my modular with my (pitchbendable) midi keyboard and possibly also via MIDI coming from Ableton later (not too important right n0w tho.

Thanks in advance :)

Google doesn't know how to distinguish search terms unless you tell it specifically. If you enter 'MIDI to CV', it will find everything it can that contains 'MIDI', 'CV' and 'to'. You have to enclose the whole thing in quotes (ie: ' "MIDI to CV" ') to get it to return that specific set of results. As for why there's a MIDI in on the A-192-2, it's so you can merge the data coming out of the module with another MIDI stream if desired.

Have a look at the Expert Sleepers stuff instead. There's several options there for converting CV/gate/trigger data into MIDI, or even sending it "raw" to Ableton's CV Tools via USB or ADAT optical, as well as several controller connection options, and expandability.

Hi Jim van der Steege,

Looking at your name you might be located in Europe. In case you are indeed in Europe and you purchased your module within the EU, you should be able to make use of the return rights of goods, usually within 7 or 8 days. Check with the dealer you bought from for the details; if you exceeded those 7 or 8 days, most dealers offer a period of 30 days (for example) where you can't receive the money back but at least exchange it for another item. Then you can replace it with Doepfer's A-190-x which is the MIDI to CV module series.

Good luck and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Google doesn't know how to distinguish search terms unless you tell it specifically. If you enter 'MIDI to CV', it will find everything it can that contains 'MIDI', 'CV' and 'to'. You have to enclose the whole thing in quotes (ie: ' "MIDI to CV" ') to get it to return that specific set of results.

-- Lugia

Yes, thanks for explaining but I actually knew that this was how Google works. In 99 percent of my search actions it doesn't matter tho, so I guess that's why I didn't stop to think about it. :')

As for why there's a MIDI in on the A-192-2, it's so you can merge the data coming out of the module with another MIDI stream if desired.

-- Lugia

Okay, makes sense.

Have a look at the Expert Sleepers stuff instead. There's several options there for converting CV/gate/trigger data into MIDI, or even sending it "raw" to Ableton's CV Tools via USB or ADAT optical, as well as several controller connection options, and expandability.

-- Lugia

Alright thanks so much, Isn't that again CV to MIDI tho? Because i need the inverse. I'll still check them out to see if they have any MIDI to CV modules.

Hi Jim van der Steege,

Looking at your name you might be located in Europe. In case you are indeed in Europe and you purchased your module within the EU, you should be able to make use of the return rights of goods, usually within 7 or 8 days. Check with the dealer you bought from for the details; if you exceeded those 7 or 8 days, most dealers offer a period of 30 days (for example) where you can't receive the money back but at least exchange it for another item. Then you can replace it with Doepfer's A-190-x which is the MIDI to CV module series.

Good luck and kind regards, Garfield Modular.
-- GarfieldModular

I am indeed from Europe! Yes returning it is no problem at all, I just wanted to be sure that this module is of no use to me before I started doing so. It just feels really stupid to waste traffic services on a product that's going nowhere.

Thanks for the quick response anyway!

If you want to go from CV to MIDI look at the Befaco VCMC
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/befaco-vcmc