I'm in the process of getting an musical instrument insurance for my entire studio, including my modular systems. The marketplace here can give a good idea of a module's "street value". This is also handy if you want to check how much to pay for a module on another site like ebay/reverb/craigslist etc.

But if a module is not on offer at that time, you're out of luck, nothing to compare. Just wondering if there are more members out there who would be in favor of some kind of price guide/price history. Like selecting a time period and getting an csv file with all offered modules in that period that you can than sort by name/price/date etc. Or old listings get filed in a seperate "history section"

On the Dutch synth forum there's discussion topic where people ask eachother advice on how much to pay for something, not really scientific but hey, at least some support/guidance.

I'm sort of in favor of such a thing as well. However, I fear people might start listing modules at unrealistic prices in order to game such a guide. Both inflated and undervalued scenarios are plausible. Adding to that, since the marketplace doesn't have a full order/checkout process, there's no way of telling whether a module has actually been sold at the price listed.

...I fear people might start listing modules at unrealistic prices in order to game such a guide. Both inflated and undervalued scenarios are plausible.
-- senor-bling

Actually, a problem like this exists on eBay, and he's known as the "Flower Pot Guy". Infamous. The user posts up pro audio gear at prices which are sometimes twice the normal average, and charges "normal" prices for stuff that's broken. The name comes from his habit of putting the gear in front of some cheap clay flowerpots before photographing it, and its been going on for literally years.

The problem arises when you have non-online dealers that might be trying to price some obscure device, and they use this bastard's inflated prices as their own, because...hey, HE asked that, so WE should ask that too! I've actually run into this once or twice, and dissuading dealers from following this jackass's prices is like pulling teeth...until/unless they recognize that they might not sell the device in question at those insane prices of his. But his antics have caused considerable problems on that platform for pro audio shoppers for the precise reason you mention here. MOST...but not all...have learned to ignore him, but his "au-thor-i-tay" is still occasionally cited by non-eBayers for their own psychotic used gear prices.