Hello everyone!

I am about to start the journey and like others on the timeline, I will need advices and valuable thoughts regarding modular/eurorack environment. I really do hope that I could keep one thread for my learning experience and growth.

I do believe that approaching modular in a "step by step" manner, will not necessarily bring disappointment or "run away"scenarios. I do feel attracted by it, to the extent where I don't look for immediate instant gratification or accomplishments.

I will start by mentioning what other equipment I have around me at this point:

Soundcraft Sound Signature 10
Faderfox Pc & Mx 12
Iconnectivity Mi010
Circuit Happy Missing Link

These are units that, more or less, I think they could take part or not in the future discussions.

I will start with the case I intend to purchase and that would be Intellijel 7u 104hp. Based on other comments, it looks it might be a good candidate for starter.

My first question is: How much importance should I give to this specific case knowing that one row is 1u and It Has to be intellijel utility modules? Should I go on a case without 1u modules ? How efficient are those Intellijel 1u modules to cover the needs of a beginner ? Is it safe to invest in a case like that, knowing that I would have to use Only Intellijel modules for that particular row?

I appreciate your time and look forward for more.

Hi Tnsl,

If you are feeling kind of uncomfortable about those 1U Intellijel modules then just don't buy an Intellijel case, right? :-) Another option might be those low costs casings of Doepfer; I use them myself and I am quite happy with it other than that they are filled up so fast but that's not the casing's mistake that's rather me putting too fast too many modules in it ;-)

Kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

So, would you recommend intellijel 1u utility vs. 3u’s? I would like to see a reply like:
Yes.., because this and so.... OR
No... because this and so... OR
Simply...there is no difference

Hi Tnsl,

I don't have myself experience with those 1U modules, so I think it's better if another member who has experience with these 1U modules will advice you accordingly.

I have for myself, though, considered to buy a 7U (thus also 1U) Intellijel case and I actually do like those 1U utility modules; they come in handy and it saves you some 3U space. Though at the end I didn't bought such casing so that's why I can't really advice you here.

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thank you Garfield!

Anyone else has input on this?

1) No, it's not only for Intellijel tiles. There are other companies (Plum Audio comes to mind) that do modules in Intellijel's 1U format. You just have to be careful when checking listings and, also, pretty much all of Pulplogic's tiles are out of the question.

2) It's not that modules are "efficient". Fact is, a modular synth is about the most INefficient musical instrument there is. Most of what's inside the case is air, every connection has to be handpatched as a rule, patches require constant adjustment, and nothing works as you'd expect if you happen to look at your rig wrong. If you want "efficient", you're looking at the wrong thing altogether! That being said, the Intellijel tiles are USEFUL (this is the word I think you're looking for) in that they can replace 3U module functions, which then opens up more room in the 3U rows.

3) Garfield is correct: if you're not comfortable with a 1U row, get a different case. That being said, tiles are very useful, especially for utility functions, and the panoply of original format tiles shows this. But given that 1U tiles are just shrinky synth modules, it gives me some pause that if you're having trouble sorting out the usefulness of those 1U modules, there's quite probably some "gaps" in overall synth knowledge here.

4) DO NOT jump into this feet-first at top speed, with full money in evidence. Judging from the questions you've posed above, it could well be that you'd be better off learning the basics of this with a patchable synth, not a full-on modular. That way, you can sort out how this all works and have a device that can form the core of a larger system later on, once you've gotten more chops and more comprehension about the subject. Mind you, you can get well into modular turf with a patchable; something like Pittsburgh's Voltage Lab might make a useful start here, and if you were to pair that with something like a Plankton Ants! or Make Noise's 0-Coast, then you'd have a fairly powerful system that would allow you to work out where you want to go with this without spending the massive pile of cash that a full modular would entail.

Remember: modular synthesizers are really neat and cool looking and all that...but they have the potential to be the most hideous money sink you've ever encountered if you go into this without the requisite knowledge. Not everyone needs one, either. Really, they're best in the hands of musicians and sound designers who've exhausted all conventional sonic possibilities and who now need to go "off the map"; they're not an essential, despite what loads of YouTube videos might lead one to think.

Thank you Lugia! > 1) No, it's not only for Intellijel tiles. There are other companies (Plum Audio comes to mind) that do modules in Intellijel's 1U format. You just have to be careful when checking listings and, also, pretty much all of Pulplogic's tiles are out of the question.

2) It's not that modules are "efficient". Fact is, a modular synth is about the most INefficient musical instrument there is. Most of what's inside the case is air, every connection has to be handpatched as a rule, patches require constant adjustment, and nothing works as you'd expect if you happen to look at your rig wrong. If you want "efficient", you're looking at the wrong thing altogether! That being said, the Intellijel tiles are USEFUL (this is the word I think you're looking for) in that they can replace 3U module functions, which then opens up more room in the 3U rows.

3) Garfield is correct: if you're not comfortable with a 1U row, get a different case. That being said, tiles are very useful, especially for utility functions, and the panoply of original format tiles shows this. But given that 1U tiles are just shrinky synth modules, it gives me some pause that if you're having trouble sorting out the usefulness of those 1U modules, there's quite probably some "gaps" in overall synth knowledge here.

4) DO NOT jump into this feet-first at top speed, with full money in evidence. Judging from the questions you've posed above, it could well be that you'd be better off learning the basics of this with a patchable synth, not a full-on modular. That way, you can sort out how this all works and have a device that can form the core of a larger system later on, once you've gotten more chops and more comprehension about the subject. Mind you, you can get well into modular turf with a patchable; something like Pittsburgh's Voltage Lab might make a useful start here, and if you were to pair that with something like a Plankton Ants! or Make Noise's 0-Coast, then you'd have a fairly powerful system that would allow you to work out where you want to go with this without spending the massive pile of cash that a full modular would entail.

Remember: modular synthesizers are really neat and cool looking and all that...but they have the potential to be the most hideous money sink you've ever encountered if you go into this without the requisite knowledge. Not everyone needs one, either. Really, they're best in the hands of musicians and sound designers who've exhausted all conventional sonic possibilities and who now need to go "off the map"; they're not an essential, despite what loads of YouTube videos might lead one to think.
-- Lugia

I will start by mentioning what other equipment I have around me at this point:

Faderfox Pc & Mx 12
Iconnectivity Mi010

These are units that, more or less, I think they could take part or not in the future discussions.
-- Tnsl

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The Soundcraft is a mixer so no issue. Faderfox, Iconnectivity and Circuit Happy are all MIDI devices though, so it really depends on whether or not your Eurorack setup can accommodate that much MIDI input and if you want to spend HP for modules making the MIDI to CV conversion.

My first question is: How much importance should I give to this specific case knowing that one row is 1u and It Has to be intellijel utility modules? Should I go on a case without 1u modules ? How efficient are those Intellijel 1u modules to cover the needs of a beginner ? Is it safe to invest in a case like that, knowing that I would have to use Only Intellijel modules for that particular row?
-- Tnsl

The way I see it, the 7U isn't such a big case (but that's highly dependent on the build I personally have in mind for myself, a very personal perception of what is needed in a rack). Therefore, any HP I can save in the 3U space is welcome, and the compatible (again, watch out for Pulp Logic vs Intellijel) 1U offering by Intellijel and a couple of other manufacturers helps me tremendously. I'm particularly fan of the O&C in 1U format, as well as the quad attenuverter, couldn't live without those (I have 2 now, thinking about getting a 3rd). Something to consider: cases with a 1U row seem considerably more expensive than their equivalent without, but 1. you save space and 2. sometimes the 1U module is a bit less expensive than its 3U equivalent.
As Lugia said, Intellijel is not the only player in the 1U Intellijel space. The offering is limited but there is already quite a lot of interesting utilities in my opinion. What is less "safe" is the "lock in" situation: once you get into 1U, you will need to get rid of all your 1U modules if you pick a case without that row, or you will need to limit yourself to options with a 1U row as well (I went with that when I evolved out of my 7U).

If you are worried about the usability, I find that the 1U row on the 7U is ideally placed and the modules design is usually taking the form factor into account so that's not much of an issue. But if indeed you can't see the usefulness of an attenuverter, a linear VCA or a slew limiter, please do follow Lugia's advice and get some experience with free software, it will help you make a better plan based on YOUR patching techniques and related needs.

Hopefully this helps. Welcome to MG :)

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Thank you Toodee!> > I will start by mentioning what other equipment I have around me at this point:

Faderfox Pc & Mx 12
Iconnectivity Mi010

-- Tnsl

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The Soundcraft is a mixer so no issue. Faderfox, Iconnectivity and Circuit Happy are all MIDI devices though, so it really depends on whether or not your Eurorack setup can accommodate that much MIDI input and if you want to spend HP for modules making the MIDI to CV conversion.

-- Tnsl

The way I see it, the 7U isn't such a big case (but that's highly dependent on the build I personally have in mind for myself, a very personal perception of what is needed in a rack). Therefore, any HP I can save in the 3U space is welcome, and the compatible (again, watch out for Pulp Logic vs Intellijel) 1U offering by Intellijel and a couple of other manufacturers helps me tremendously. I'm particularly fan of the O&C in 1U format, as well as the quad attenuverter, couldn't live without those (I have 2 now, thinking about getting a 3rd). Something to consider: cases with a 1U row seem considerably more expensive than their equivalent without, but 1. you save space and 2. sometimes the 1U module is a bit less expensive than its 3U equivalent.
As Lugia said, Intellijel is not the only player in the 1U Intellijel space. The offering is limited but there is already quite a lot of interesting utilities in my opinion. What is less "safe" is the "lock in" situation: once you get into 1U, you will need to get rid of all your 1U modules if you pick a case without that row, or you will need to limit yourself to options with a 1U row as well (I went with that when I evolved out of my 7U).

If you are worried about the usability, I find that the 1U row on the 7U is ideally placed and the modules design is usually taking the form factor into account so that's not much of an issue. But if indeed you can't see the usefulness of an attenuverter, a linear VCA or a slew limiter, please do follow Lugia's advice and get some experience with free software, it will help you make a better plan based on YOUR patching techniques and related needs.

Hopefully this helps. Welcome to MG :)

-- toodee