alt text

Hello everyone!
After making multiple designs and watching hours of YouTube videos about Modular, I have finally come up with this setup.

I already have a decent amount of VCO synths, so I decided that a digital FPGA would be different. Also, looking at the videos the Shapeshifter looks to be very deep, and I dont really care that it came out 6 years ago. I am hoping I can use OSC 1 as a sound source and OSC 2 as an LFO.

Not too sure if I need the ADSR, I still think it could be useful, but if Im playing from an external keyboard maybe not.

The only thing that is bothering me is not having LFOs, Sequencer, and Effects. The Shapeshifter can be used as an LFO I guess. I will have to use external effects like the H9.

I do what to keep this small as I really want to learn with limited pieces at first. I'm pretty confident that this setup has all of my "needs" down and can substitute my "wants" with external gear to learn what I want once I put together a bigger rack.

thanks for your time guys and I would be grateful of any input!

Maybe I'll take a look on small (BIG) modules which can supply VCA and ADSR functions. This will optimize your rack space.

Polaris is a very good filter with lots of modes, which is ok. I think that VCOs and Filters are something very personal and it depends on needs and what final user likes.

I'll go for Nano Modules ALT and Nano Modules QUART, respectively.

ALT has 4 clear VCAs in only 8 HP, so you're saving 4HP. Q
QUART are 4 AD-Looping envelopes, which can act as LFO too an, again, in only 8HP.
We have now 8HP remaining and, we can add Transient Modules 8s as a sequencer (little sequencer, but very funny and powerful).

You can find an sketch of how your rack should be with this changes. Just CLICK HERE and you can take a look on it.

I hope this helps you.

Rot

I would seriously suggest a slightly different approach

1 - bigger case - in the long term cheaper and less physically constraining - you do not need to fill it ever, if you don't want to
2 - get something smaller and simpler than the shapeshifter to allow you to get the modules that you actually need - this will also allow you to spend more time ;earning to use a modular then learning to use a super complex module - I'm not saying don't buy it - I'm just suggesting not yet

just get the following - it'll be a better learning experience for you I think:
a sound source - something relatively cheap and inexpensive is good - the dreadbox chromatic one for example
a sound modifier - a filter is a good - and going out to a H9 will add delay and/or reverb I think
a modulation source - modular without modulation is pointless
a way to listen - yeah you have that in the palette or whatever it is - but if you have a H9 you probably have a mixer - use that
a way to play - you basically need one of midi interface- for DAW, sequencer, midi keyboard -personally I would go for sequencer - so you can wiggle whilst a tune is playing - just get something relatively simple to start with - although clock and gate outs would be useful

on top of those some utilities are good to have - I like links and kinks from mutable instruments - a disting never hurts and you already have a quad cascading vca so keep that in there

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I agree with Jim on everything. To get the most enjoyment out of these modules, you will probably need to adjust your approach, pick up a larger case than you think you need, and add some things like utilities, a sequencer, and modulation sources. Something like the Varigate 4+ might be fun for sequencing, and it's relatively small. MI Links is definitely nice to have. Maybe a Make Noise Function with a small setup? All of the modules you have picked seem to be good, but you might not be able to do as much as you want with such a limited setup. Have fun and good luck!

Hi guys!
Thank you soooooo much for the information, gives me a lot to think about. It makes sense to have more space because without added modulation and some creative modules it is basically just a generic mono synth. I’m going to work on putting something together in a bigger case. I’ll repost to see what additional advice you guys have.

Mainly what I will do is:
1. Look for a bigger, better case
2. Find some analog oscillators like the Chormatic. I would still want to have an unusual sound source like the shapeshifter or squid sample just to not have only analog oscillators
3. I’m thinking the Quadrax instead of the Dual ADSR as it can still be kinda used as an ADSR, but can also have 2 LFOs besides the usual envelopes.
4. Look through modulators.

Thanks again, I appreciate it as I’m just getting my feet wet.

alt text

Alright!
So I am going to go with a different case. I wont be able to buy everything soon, but I can go piece by piece and eventually get it done.

So I took you guys’ advice and added some sequencers and modulators. The only thing I’m not totally sure of is the Oscillators. I think it looks good and I just feel if I have one I need at least two of that one. Coming from standard analog synths I’m used to detuning or phasing the Oscillators.

Let me know if this looks better or if there are still some glaring weaknesses.

Thanks again soooooo much!

Banged on it a bit...see what you think:
ModularGrid Rack
You'll notice some changes, to be sure...but not anything huge. I got rid of the summing mixers because, frankly, these are intended more for summing CV and mod signals (they're more akin to adders, really) and if you're combining AUDIO signals, you need discrete level controls per input. Only one buffered mult remains...because you really only need one here. The biggest lineup change was to jettison the Polaris; frankly, you don't need a third VCF in this, and you'll do loads better with an effects unit...which is what that Stasis Leak is all about. Stereo output, too...hence the transformer-isolated stereo output next to it. Just run your audio mix from the Quad VCA (I suggest using VCAs 3 and 4 here for this, out of the Morgasmatron's dual outputs, leaving VCAs 1 and 2 for CV/mod work) right on into it and control your wet/dry mix for your final output result.

I added a nifty Seismic module in the lower row, since there wasn't anything to manipulate CV and mod signals with. This does that really well, manually OR under CV, plus it offers another linear VCA for CV/mod work. Then the lineup overall was altered to put all audio on the top row, all controls/CV/mod on the bottom, and the setup for the VCOs was changed to co-locate each of the DixieII+ modules next to a Rubicon2, which is then next to a 2hp Mix...making it more convenient to combine the two operationally for a more Buchla-ish operation situation, which'll make it easier for you to go WAY past basic detuning. Lastly, all of your audio signal paths now "read" in a proper left-right manner, with modulation, etc coming in at intervals from the bottom row.

Seems more solid. It did increase the cost a few hundred, but the results seem far more workable now.

Hey Lugia,

I'm not the original poster but I wanted to thank you anyway, I really like it when you re-work other users racks and then explain what was changed and why. It is really useful for less experienced users like myself, it allows me to understand how different modules play together to make a good rack.

Thank you

Thanks...yeah, part of the problems that arise with a lot of builds is that there's no real order to the layouts. And because of that, you see a lot of weird/inappropriate/downright wrong choices creeping in...or at least, that factor plays a huge part in that happening. Fact is, though, that when the early synth companies all landed on a similar left-to-right signal flow for their post-modular instruments, there wasn't an accident there. In the West, we typically look at processes as moving left-to-right, and that's how I try to make things function in the builds I work on.

Much of the problem also seems to come from users who've gotten their initial synth experience on software synths. When these are properly designed (or a replication of a proper design, like what Arturia does), they're great. But way too many software synth designers create things that, if their interfaces were implemented in the real world, would be a total bitch-and-a-half to use. And these are the things that some of these users on MG use as their design basis...and that's a big mistake. We don't interface and interact with hardware in the same ways as we do with software. And yes, everything on MG is "software"...but the objective is to create HARDWARE in the end, which contributes a bit to that design disconnect as well.

Hi Lugia,
Thank you so much for your help. As Exposure pointed out, it’s extremely helpful when someone with experience can give a wealth of information. I’m actually surprised how much people have helped with highly informative information. I’m going to go with the setup that you have shown. Makes a full contained unit. And the layout that you’ve suggested is even more help than the change of modules, which I will also change.

Thank you again!

alt text
So I've been revising this rack for over the last month and this is the update. Rather small update, but wanted some advice.

I took out the Rubicon 2s and added the ZPOs as I do like the sound and features slightly better. Switching also allowed more space to fit the Basimilus Iteritas Alter.

The main issue is I'm kinda struggling between the Basimilus Iteritas Alter and the Disting EX. I like that the Disting can do many functions and when connected to its MIDI module, it has way more functionality than the MINI MIDI. on the other hand, if I leave the Disting EX out I like that everything besides the Tetra doesn't have a bunch of possible functions for each input/output, WYSIWYG-ish.

I would like to hear any recommendations.

Thanks again!

You will need a LOT of dedicated modulation sources to get the most out of a Basimilus Iteritas Alter. Something like the Voltage Block. Check out Baseck's videos to get an idea of what's possible, but only with the right setup. The Disting will give you access to a vast array of possibilities, but it's not as fun to use.
I finally broke down and bought a Disting Mk4. I hate menu diving, but it's an insanely valuable module. I also have the BIA, and I would have to recommend the Disting first, for what it's worth.
Have fun and good luck!

alt text

Thanks Farkas,
I'm thinking the attached is looking pretty complete now. Let me know what you think.

Thank you!