Hi!

Iam just starting with modular synths - but I had a nice experience with synths. About six years I was working on a lots of synths and DAW. In this moment I have a Yamaha reface DX, Microkorg and Electribe sampler 2. Everything controlled by midi from my DAW by Focusrite 18i8.
In this moment I bought a 104hp case and power supply by Doepfer to soldering.
For get practice in soldering I bought DIY multiple as well (to check how skill I have in that’s works).
I thing to build something like this:
Waldorf NW1
Doepfer WASP filter A 124
Doepfer VCA 130
Behringer Envelope 911
Equinox LFO

It’s a good idea for start?
Iam struggle with a decision about VCO, to maybe choose a analog Doepfer , but Waldorf looks very powerful and has a MIDI connections.
Cheers for advice!

Hi Migdzio,

Welcome to modular! Since you bought already a case, it's useless for me to say that it's a too small case but never mind since you got that already, you will discover that soon enough for yourself ;-)

I have myself the Waldorf NW1, it certainly is a nice module and worth the money since it's at a special offer for quite some while already. But ehm... are you sure about it's MIDI capacities? I haven't come across that. I just checked the manual again and I only could find this:

USB for custom / text wavetables transfer and firmware update
and
USB interface with galvanic isolation

Again, I can't find anything about MIDI, but please let me know where in the manual I can find that, because that would make that module even much better as it already is. Anyway, I don't believe it has MIDI but even without MIDI, yes this is a fantastic module however... considering your available space as well as, and that you start into modular, so for starters I wouldn't recommend to start with the NW1. It isn't the easiest module as a starter to start with. I would indeed advice you then to take a "plain" VCO from Doepfer or any other brand with a plain VCO, like for example Make Noise, the STO. Yes, the STO looks plain, easy and simple and indeed it is but don't under estimate the possibilities of this little powerful VCO that can produce some fantastic nice sounds! It's currently one of my most favourite VCOs.

For Doepfer, the A-111-2 is a nice one to start with, single VCO but with quite a few patching possibilities and you straight away got a VCO with 6 different (parallel) wave shape outputs. Not that that is so important (to have 6 outputs, for example 3 or 4 would be usually fine too) but it's sometimes nice to have and to play with that and experiment.

It's good anyway to have at least two VCOs, preferable a ring modulator too, so you can start doing already a few nice things there!

The Doepfer Wasp filter is bang on! It's so far one of my best filters, if not the best. The "best" as in, most nice filter to play with and to get easily some nice effects. You might want to consider a second filter, just for the necessary variation. A low pass filter might be an idea. Doepfer (for example A-120) or any other brand.

Since you want to control everything by MIDI, consider a MIDI module as well (no, again, NW1 is not a MIDI module ;-) ). There are many brands but in my opinion not too many that gives you an easy to use module that has enough possibilities at the same time. Brands you might want to check are Doepfer, Expert Sleepers and Vermona (of course there are other good brands that have MIDI modules too). I am actually a quite big Doepfer fan however with the exception of their MIDI module(s), I wasn't happy with my Doepfer A-190-5, I exchanged that one with Vermona qMI 2 and wow, Vermona is so nice and easy to use, no struggles there. It has four channels, so if that's too much for you to start with, look into smaller MIDI modules, then there is more choice too.

Oh yes, since you have very limited HP space in your casing, another advice is to look into not too big modules, so another reason to look for another VCO than that NW1.

The Behringer 911 EG hasn't been released yet, most likely end of May is the current availability date indicator of my local dealer but it's pretty common with new announced stuff that the real time-to-market date keeps postponing. Since one can't have enough EGs and LFOs anyway, consider for the meantime another EG. Two EGs to start with if you would ask me. At least one LFO, if possible two LFOs as well.

Teasing you here but... are you already start to realise that one row Eurocase is getting (too) small? ;-)

I don't have myself Equinox equipment so I can't comment on that. But consider at least another LFO if you like to stick with that Equinox LFO. Since you are into Doepfer anyway then consider the A-145-1 LFO, I am quite happy with that one and I use it in many of my patches.

Generally for most modules it's advisable to look into their CV input possibilities, it's nice to have a module that has some CV input so you can modulate such CV parameters. It gives an additional "fun factor" to such a module and in general.

Let's stay with Doepfer and look at "your" Doepfer VCA A-130-1, yes that's a VCA but it's a linear VCA, nothing against that fact but it's usually (so it isn't a must!) used for CVs not for audio. Usually (so again... it isn't a must) one uses an exponential VCA for audio signals, so consider the VCA A-131-1 instead or even better take both.

Oh yes and how are you going to get your "sound out of the Eurorack" to your mixer and/or to your DAW? So you need an audio interface as well, since you don't have much space, the Befaco Out might be just doing the suitable trick here for you. There are other audio interfaces that have more options like the ACL Audio Interface or the Intellijel Audio I/O, both nice modules (using them myself ;-) ) but they are far too large for your current available space. Though... the Intellijel is space wise actually quite good for the possibilities it gives you.

You also might want to consider a mixer, preferable one that can handle CVs and audio or split that into two mixers (one for CVs and another one for audio), up to you but look at your limited space, so be careful to take not too large modules.

Did I mention already that you need more space? ;-) Just joking... though... you really have to be careful planning your space, lucky you got already some existing other gear so you should use that as much as possible to keep the modules here at a minimum for your limited space available...

So, that's for starters, then you just can start but you still haven't looked into utility modules like attenuators, switches, sequencers (you might want to use your existing gear for that), effects, etcetera but I guess quite a bit you can use your existing gear for that plus whatever can be done nowadays with the computer. I know it's a lot but I am using modular to not use the computer :-)

Anyway, this should give you enough food for thought to start with. Good luck with your planning and checking a lot of modules should be your homework before buying any modules at all. Read reviews, download manuals and if possible, test the modules you are interested in at your local dealer to make sure it delivers what you expect or at least that the module doesn't disappoint you.

Kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads