Which system would you choose out of the two's?
I am interested in function covering and flexibility
Option1: Tetrapad/Tete combo + Dixie2
Option2: Shapeshifter(offers vavefolding, maybe useful for the other voice) + TTz20240+2hp Rnd
or...what would you use instead of these modules
alt text
alt text

I find that the longer I play modular, the more I’m longing for expression - something to touch and actually play. Tetra offers a lot in that regard, it can really make you play the system like an instrument. The built in quantization sure offers a lot of fun. And you can always get some random stuff out of the fh2!

The second one. Reason for this is that you can always add some sort of expression controller, especially since you have the FH-2 in there, allowing anything with USB Host requirements to jack right in. This also means that you can use the modular "upright" instead of laying flat, which should improve the ergonomics. As for module complement, the only problems I see are the presence of the Links (this build is too small for dedicated mults...you need to maximize space functionality in these, meaning that it makes more sense in this size to use stackcables or inline mults) and the filter complement, which is just two LPFs, meaning that you're missing out on the potential of any of the other filter topologies.

The workflow here, though...hm...this needs tinkering...
ModularGrid Rack
OK...loads of tweaks, as it turned out...but the game is definitely upped.

Upper row is mainly the "voicing", lower is control and modulation...again, mostly.

I changed out quite a few things here. In some case, it was to clear space for essentials (like the noise/S&H and Ladik Dual Lag) and in others, there simply was a better solution (such as the Doepfer VCF...which gives you 16 different topologies which you can also access simultaneously). But loads of additions here...

Top row: power, FH-2, then there's a WMD Toolbox, which has a bunch of little tricks up its sleeve. After this is a noise/S&H, then a dual slew gen with selectable glide-on-direction response. I replaced the Shapeshifter with Dove's new Wavetable VCO, which saved some money and space, and also provides a more straightforward "PPG-ish" wavetable oscillator. Your Ensemble Oscillator is next, then there's a quad VCA (Codex Modulex's clone of the Veils module) and mixer to sum down the oscillators and/or sampler. That Xpander VCF is next...yes, it's Dieter's version of the Oberheim Xpander filter. Then the Bitbox and another VCA/mixer for your final summing; this then goes down to the right end of the bottom for FX and output isolation.

Bottom row: power, Pams's, Steppy, Frap sequencer. Then two more dual-response VCAs, placed specifically for modulation signal processing. Codex's "Tides" clone is next up, followed by the Maths, then there's a dual ADSR which should come in handy for VCF and VCA control. Happy Nerding's new FX Aid gives you Spin FX-1 algorithms in stereo next, and last comes their Isolator, which provides transformer isolation/balancing for better audio and a single master level control for your output.

This seems more solid. For one thing, it has the "little bits" put in that allow the main modules to really cut loose. Functionally, this is WAY more dense and open-ended, and there's loads of "tricks" hidden throughout the build to up the programmability. The sole concern I have now is about the depth, which maxes at 50mm in this version, and the majority (but not all!) of dual 104hp cabs start having trouble at around 45mm. However, you might take a peek at Erica's 2 x 104hp portable case, which offers a 67mm max depth AND a kickass power supply with 2.5A on both 12V rails, and another Amp on +5V. The current headroom, all totalled, would be about an Amp, so the likelihood of overdrawing the P/S is pretty much zero. Also, this would negate the need for the 4ms ROW POWER 45s, so you'd wind up with another 4 hp per row for more twiddling, although at present the build still has these.

Lugia, I thank you for the detailed feedback and new direction for this system! I will definitely reconsider it! Thank you all! > The second one. Reason for this is that you can always add some sort of expression controller, especially since you have the FH-2 in there, allowing anything with USB Host requirements to jack right in. This also means that you can use the modular "upright" instead of laying flat, which should improve the ergonomics. As for module complement, the only problems I see are the presence of the Links (this build is too small for dedicated mults...you need to maximize space functionality in these, meaning that it makes more sense in this size to use stackcables or inline mults) and the filter complement, which is just two LPFs, meaning that you're missing out on the potential of any of the other filter topologies.

The workflow here, though...hm...this needs tinkering...
ModularGrid Rack
OK...loads of tweaks, as it turned out...but the game is definitely upped.

Upper row is mainly the "voicing", lower is control and modulation...again, mostly.

I changed out quite a few things here. In some case, it was to clear space for essentials (like the noise/S&H and Ladik Dual Lag) and in others, there simply was a better solution (such as the Doepfer VCF...which gives you 16 different topologies which you can also access simultaneously). But loads of additions here...

Top row: power, FH-2, then there's a WMD Toolbox, which has a bunch of little tricks up its sleeve. After this is a noise/S&H, then a dual slew gen with selectable glide-on-direction response. I replaced the Shapeshifter with Dove's new Wavetable VCO, which saved some money and space, and also provides a more straightforward "PPG-ish" wavetable oscillator. Your Ensemble Oscillator is next, then there's a quad VCA (Codex Modulex's clone of the Veils module) and mixer to sum down the oscillators and/or sampler. That Xpander VCF is next...yes, it's Dieter's version of the Oberheim Xpander filter. Then the Bitbox and another VCA/mixer for your final summing; this then goes down to the right end of the bottom for FX and output isolation.

Bottom row: power, Pams's, Steppy, Frap sequencer. Then two more dual-response VCAs, placed specifically for modulation signal processing. Codex's "Tides" clone is next up, followed by the Maths, then there's a dual ADSR which should come in handy for VCF and VCA control. Happy Nerding's new FX Aid gives you Spin FX-1 algorithms in stereo next, and last comes their Isolator, which provides transformer isolation/balancing for better audio and a single master level control for your output.

This seems more solid. For one thing, it has the "little bits" put in that allow the main modules to really cut loose. Functionally, this is WAY more dense and open-ended, and there's loads of "tricks" hidden throughout the build to up the programmability. The sole concern I have now is about the depth, which maxes at 50mm in this version, and the majority (but not all!) of dual 104hp cabs start having trouble at around 45mm. However, you might take a peek at Erica's 2 x 104hp portable case, which offers a 67mm max depth AND a kickass power supply with 2.5A on both 12V rails, and another Amp on +5V. The current headroom, all totalled, would be about an Amp, so the likelihood of overdrawing the P/S is pretty much zero. Also, this would negate the need for the 4ms ROW POWER 45s, so you'd wind up with another 4 hp per row for more twiddling, although at present the build still has these.
-- Lugia

To me the first question when I see this rack is: what is connected to the FH-2? Depending on that answer the next question might be: do you really need the Usta in a rack of this size? If a DAW, an MPC or an Elektron device are controlling the FH-2, I'd rather get a CV expander for that and add one or two smaller sequencers. Something immediate and fun, like a Xaoc Tirana (or two). I don't see a mixer anywhere (except for the Links utility mixer). Are you planning to use an external mixer? If not, the Befaco STMix or an Intellijel Mixup are nice and compact. Also keep in mind, while the 4ms Ensemble Osc is really great, people aren't joking when they say it eats attenuators. If you don't want to dedicate half your FH-2 to it and control the EnOsc mostly externally (although that can absolutely make sense), I'd definitely recommend adding a triple/quad attenuator/attenuverter/vca solely for this module.

Here's my take on your rack using the Planar:
Planar Rack

I've tried to keep as many of your choices intact as possible. For example, I'd also rather go with a Noise Engineering Pons Asinorum in place of the WMD Javelin. Two more envelopes + LFOs, but losing the accent input on the way. Lugia's suggestion of the Doepfer filter is a great one, although of course filters are a very personal thing. The Xaoc Samara can take over most of the MI Kinks + Links functions while providing more flexible mixing and attenuation.

For a rack of the size, I'd go with a Planar. It's a great performance tool but it's also great for exploring the possibilities of modules. One of the fastest methods to change up to six parameters at once in a controlled manner. Tetrapad is also a very good module (haven't tried the Tete, tbh), but in my opinion that combo is better suited to a three row rack. Or a very focused two rows.

I've arranged the sequencers to the top left 'cause I don't want wires covering the knobs. Same reason why I brought most "knobs on top" modules to the top row. Even if it means splitting the "filter section". I also prefer sprinkling attenuators and mixers in between other modules to keep cables short. I've only just noticed that I don't have a good idea how to best utilize the Bitbox in this rack, so I maybe this is where my whole plan comes crashing down :D Anyway, hope this all kind of made sense and maybe has been of help in some way.

Edit: you've got two stereo modules but no stereo filters(s). Or at least two identical filters. Maybe that Doepfer module should be exchanged for something else, after all. The 12hp would fit a WMD Overseer (stereo) + a mono Electrosmith 2144 LPF - the latter should even get you close to the character of the Tiptop 2040 :)
You don't need a (stereo) filter for the Ensemble Oscillator, but having one can be really nice, especially for pads.

Thank you Senor Bling! I do not own any of the external sequencers you mentioned, I chose Fh-2 for the midi connection ( being able to use a midi keyboard and use the arpeggiator ) I am sure it covers way more than that.
I do use an external mixer ( Soundcraft Mtk 22), plenty of channels I can route for each output in my system, it has 2 effects per channel i can use independently ( with 2 efx parameters for control)...my system sits in front of the mixer, so i can use levels/efx and so on right on spot.
I like the idea of Planar!

Alright, so maybe the mixer and fx modules can go (for now). If you're really planning to only connect a keyboard, the FH-2 is overkill. Also, if you're planning on creating structured tracks a full eurorack sequencer does make sense. That said, I still think the Usta is just too large for a case this size. Anyway, I thought this posed a fun challenge and I've had another go:

alt text

Replaced the FH-2 with a simpler (and smaller) Intellijel uMidi (your keyboard does have Din Midi Out, right?). The MI Blinds got replaced by the smaller Vermona QuadroPol. I never agreed that everyone needs Maths, so that got divided by 2.5 to Function (bad pun, sorry!). Since you're using a keyboard you might actually want to have a full ADSR. The Xaoc Zadar can be used (almost) like a full ADSR, but also for all sorts of interesting wave shapes, both triggered or looped (all that x4). The WMD TimeWarp can act as dual slew, EG and envelope follower. All that should give you a bunch of cv sources + manipulation + mixing capabilities. Both the BIA + the EnOsc can use plenty of those. Also there now is a selection of three filters. Whether these work for you is a matter of taste.

Thank you Senor Bling! I was watching videos about the Wmd Time Warp and I was wondering if "slew" function is same thing or close to "slide" function....Usta has Slides on each step. I might be wrong, but I wonder if it's the same thing...or?...

Yeah, can be the same/similar. My intention with this was to provide either a slew option for keyboard playing or to have a another kind of envelope to trigger via Steppy and modulate the BIA with, for example. Was looking for a dual envelope generator and this module has a few interesting extra features. But yeah, this is the module choice I'm the least confident about. :)

Appreciate your time ! Amazing community!