hey all, Im going all out on a rack and wanted to get some thoughts/ advice
looking to use for techy stuff and all that
cheers

ModularGrid Rack

Hey mate,
you got yourself a nice little case set up there!
My feedback is based on the assumption that size is like you indicate above!
Pro:
I see a good balance between key elements of modular - VCAs, Utilities, Sequencers.

Con:
Too much space consumed where alternatives are available:
- Replace Rainmaker with Mimeophon
- Use the A-111-6 instead of the A-111-5
- Maybe consider getting rid of Data but if its a must for you take a smaller footprint like the O Tool from Dave Jones

Additions:
you need LFOs, Attenuverters, a decent mixer (the Intellijel Unity Mixers are not enough), consider the Intellijel MixUp...these you can even chain and have several in a row that can grow together with your case.

In summary I think you build that case with a purpose, which is great! I think it is a great starting point.

Keep on digging!

Well, I sure as hell don't see that balance. Frankly, this is a mess. First of all, you're overrunning the rack limits...which would tend to indicate that you should've started with a MUCH larger cab from the beginning. Plus, this is very poorly implemented; ONE envelope generator? Two buffered mults...for WHAT? And these HUGE modules...dude, this isn't a build size that can support having so many big panels. Shrink this stuff down.

Have you considered any of the following:

1) Do you know your own music well enough to specify what should go into a device to make it more optimally-suited for that music?

2) Do you know how the sounds in the music you're trying to emulate were generated in the first place?

3) Do you understand synthesis well enough to put the basic components together to do any of the first two?

Until those questions have definite, concrete answers...you're far more likely to build a boxful of expensive 'n' useless, NOT a synthesizer.

Two suggestions:

1) Get a patchable FIRST. Not only can such synths work as the core device in a modular system (sort of like what you're aiming at with the A-111-5), they also clearly show what's required for a system of your own design. And you'll discover what you can do with less superfluous junk as is here. Even a couple of simple-seeming tandemmed devices, such as a Make Noise 0-Coast/0-Ctrl pairing, would be much better for a starter than what's above.

2) VCV Rack. LEARN the basics before pulling out the Magic Plastic. VCV Rack is free, and has ample modules...some of which are even really accurate emulations of existing Eurorack hardware. Get used to using it and building up systems in it. Hang onto this rack design, then play with VCV for a few months. Then, come back to this design and re-evaluate it. I guarantee you'll be hitting "Delete Rack" fast enough to break the sound barrier! https://vcvrack.com/

I agree, this is not a good system, some fantastic modules for sure, but you have waaaaaaay too many voices and hardly any utilities or modulation sources... you need at least another row of utilities to even begin using more than one of those voices sensibly.

An alternative approach would be to study some of the modular systems, see what they include, ask yourself 'why?' for everything - and if you can't give good solid answers, read and watch videos until you can.

Seriously, aim for ONE solid subtractive voice for your first modular

do it virtually in VCVRack or buy one of the patchable semi-modulars as suggested by Lugia!

You will have a much better experience I promise :)

this user has left ModularGrid

I would get rid of the mini synth voice and add some logic modules and mults/mixer like Kinks and Links. These let you do a lot with just one voice module. I also would get rid of Mordax Data while a great module it is massive and you can get a smaller clock module like Pamela New Workout and more support modules and modulation like 0chd. Mordax would be fine in a massive case but not here. Perhaps a matrix mixer and sequential switch as well by ditching another voice module? In my setup, I have 4 sound sources, 2 filters and the rest of support modules like clock, mixer, Hex VCA, switch, logic, mults and so forth for a 6U case. I find that 70-80% of the rack space is best used for support tools and 20-30% for the do cool voice modules/filters. I would get rid of Metropolis and get a smaller sequencer like Mimetic Digitalis or use external sequencer and use that space for useful support modules.

this user has left ModularGrid

I did some clean up of your rack and here is my recommendation:

ModularGrid Rack

1/Removed Mordax and added Pamela New Workout with Boss Bow Two for clock/switch.
2/Added Mimeophon instead of Rainmaker- I have this module on the way and will share a demo once I have it setup.
3/Removed Metropolis- too big and Euclidian Circles already has 6 channel trigger sequencer plenty for your setup. If you plan to sequence melodic stuff, perhaps add a smaller sequencer for CV like Mimetic Digitalis or Rene?
4/ Removed the mini voice module- you have plenty with 1-2 voices already and Expert Sleepers Disting EX can be a LFO, sample, sound source.

5/ added an attenuator module- very important
6/ added Kinks and Links for mult/logic/mixer: super useful and cheap as well. Love mine.

7/ added wogglebug as you may want random CV generator to create interesting patches. Can you another S&H module or noise generator if you wish. Only a suggestion as Wogglebug gets tons of love.

Hope this helps!

That looks much better!

I would still get rid of more, if you really want multiple voices start with this:

a rack

You will get:

1 Melodic Sequencer to drive Plaits (these two make a complete voice)

1 Pattern generator Euclidean Circles + BIA and Disting EX give you 3 voices for drums which you can mix and send to the Mimeophon for weird FX!

Maths for modulation or custom envelopes!

Pam's needs two channels for clock and reset which you will need a multiple to send to Metropolis and Euclidean circles, leaves 6 channels for modulation.

Maths and Pam can be attenuated, inverted, mixed, using the Quad VCA as desired.

I could make tracks on this system - I would get frustrated and want more utilities, but I really think you're better off starting with as little as possible and building up slow and what you find you need rather than trying to guess!

Just PNW, Maths, Quad VCA, Metropolis, Plaits (or?) and Mimeophon would go a LONG way!

Personally I would swap Plaits for a proper oscillator and go for a multi channel sequencer over Metropolis and Euclidean Circles, something like Westlicht Per|former, but if you like the style and the ratchet thing then it's a good option I guess, but whatever :)

Have fun!