Hi guys.
Build my first modular over the xmas days and gave it a spin.
Basically it's three rails of 108 in Size into a IKEA Cupboard. The width doesnt fit perfectly, have to finde a solution on how to fix the rails to the left. To the right their screwed to the cupboard walls.

I can post some pics if you like.
My main question is: Do you have some tips into what else I should build into the rack?
I am not looking into generative music or the like. My music is mostly DnB and I am looking for some other, unique sounds to my sound palette.
So straight forward Bass, reese Bass or Pad like sounds.
I think oscilator wise I am well equipped but I guess some other filters or other mangling processors could be fun.
Any idea?

With kind regards
Jan
P.S.:
This is the correct link:
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_309246.jpg

Somehow it is being shown with a Neutron which I do not own.

this user has left ModularGrid

I would remove the Neutron from the case as first step as it takes way too much valuable HP.
You don't really need it.

Next step is you need support utilities and modulation sources like LFOs, attenuator/attenuverters, mults and logic. Adding something like a Batumi or Divkid 0chd would give you a good modulation start and something like Mutable Instruments Shades or Noise Engineering Lapsus Os would provide attenuators and maybe throw in a Kinks and Links for support modules.

Next thing: how are you sequencing the rack? Maybe get a basic step sequencer if you want to create beats either in case or external like a Korg SQ-1 or Arturia Keystep with CV control. A good in rack basic sequencer and clock that I love is Pamela's New Workout as it small, powerful, easy to use and does a ton of cool stuff.

Third- function generator like Maths or Quadrax would give you lots of options or maybe Zadar.

Last- effects, a delay and reverb would add a lot to your setup. You can get something like an Erica Synths Pico DSP or Happy Nerding FX Aid.

Actually, I would strongly suggest redoing this build. The reason is because many of the individual modules here can also be found in modules which have multiples of that same circuit. Case in point: the two VCAs on the second row...one each, takes up 16 hp. Yank those, put in one of the new versions of Veils, and suddenly you get FOUR VCAs...plus six more hp to play with.

There's a lot of this issue in the build. Take a good look at the various functions and then see how densely you can go in the same or less space. Also, you can drop the Doepfer MIDI interface...you won't have space here for four voices of polyphony. A better move would be something like an Expert Sleepers interface, which would then allow you to send CVs, gates, triggers, mod signals, etc directly from your DAW via a few different pieces of software. Or you can integrate a VCV Rack build with this with one of those.

Lastly, lose the Vermona modules. They're pointlessly expensive for what they do...plus, too damn big! Have a look at 4ms's QPLFO (12 hp! duty cycles from low audio out to 71 MINUTES!) instead of the quad LFO there, and Happy Nerding makes a 6 hp stereo balanced out with metering, headphone preamp, AND a second stereo input which would work like an FX return, with its own ganged stereo level pot. Or you could just as easily add the Befaco Hexpander, and then you'd get three FX loops, balanced I/O, metering, master level, and so on...although, really, you might find that a smaller performance mixer would make more sense if polyphonic operation isn't going to happen. Have a look at Toppobrillo's take on that.

The ideas are there...sorta. This needs a bunch of refinement, though.

this user has left ModularGrid

Lugia has words of wisdom. I have Shades in my 6u case for mixer/attenuator/attenuverter and it works great for 3 channels. Also like the Intellijel Quad VCA that has lots of features in small form factor. Then I send outs to 3 channel Intellijel Mixup for mixer and love that especially since it has mute switches and super easy to use. I just got WMD/SSF Toolbox which is super useful as it packs a ton of CV utilities in small module: sum, rectifier, compare, logic, invert and switch. I had fun using it over a friend house this weekend jamming and trying out different patches.

I would remove the Neutron from the case as first step as it takes way too much valuable HP.
You don't really need it.
It was added as a Test and removed already. As said, I do not own it. Somehow the rack was not updated.

Next step is you need support utilities and modulation sources like LFOs, attenuator/attenuverters, mults and logic. Adding something like a Batumi or Divkid 0chd would give you a good modulation start and something like Mutable Instruments Shades or Noise Engineering Lapsus Os would provide attenuators and maybe throw in a Kinks and Links for support modules.
I looked at the 0chd. Interesting LFO and thanks for the MI and NE tipps.
Regarding support modules (Attenuators etc.) I am not yet sure as for what I might need them.

Next thing: how are you sequencing the rack? Maybe get a basic step sequencer if you want to create beats either in case or external like a Korg SQ-1 or Arturia Keystep with CV control. A good in rack basic sequencer and clock that I love is Pamela's New Workout as it small, powerful, easy to use and does a ton of cool stuff.
Sequencing happens solely from my DAW via the Doepfer 190-5. I know it's 4 channels and I will not use it for polyphonic purposes. So maybe a bit overblown. However initial playing around was nice giving me separate control (playing multiple melodies etc.) over the VCO's.
Maybe I will change that over time.

Third- function generator like Maths or Quadrax would give you lots of options or maybe Zadar.
Maths i looked into but was a little hesitant as I might be overwhelmed with its functions. But I already noticed that something between my existing ADSR and LFO's could be fun to play with.

Last- effects, a delay and reverb would add a lot to your setup. You can get something like an Erica Synths Pico DSP or Happy Nerding FX Aid.
So far the Audio Signal goes into a small desk before recorded to DAW. That Desk has two external effects attached which I can play around. So at first No additional FX within the Modular was intended.

Thank you for your Input.

With kind regards
Jan

Hi Guys.

Thanks for your input so far. The quoting in this forum doesnt work as easy as thought and the rack is not updated correctly.
However, the Neutron is not part of this Rack.

I built this rack with any modules I could lay my hand's on 2nd hand. So therefore some of them might be to big or overblown (Doepfer) and I will exchange them over time surely. Mainly to gain space. ;-)
Especially thanks for the QPLFO and the 4VCA. Will keep looking for those.
Regarding support modules (Attenuators etc.) I am not yet sure as for what I might need them.
Maths i looked into but was a little hesitant as I might be overwhelmed with its functions. But I already noticed that something between my existing ADSR and LFO's could be fun to play with.

So what do you recommend to look out for next? VCO wise I am equipped I think, modulators like MATHS etc. could be interesting. Also the WMD Toolbox seems like something.

Thanks in advance.
With kind regards
Jan

An example of why you need attenuators...or in this case, attenuverters on a DC-coupled mixer:

Let's say you want a VCF to sweep irregularly. Instead of having the same EG behavior each time, you could send the envelope and another envelope to such a mixer, then INVERT one of the envelopes. Next, rig up a VCA to control the level of the inverted EG signal before it hits the attenuverting mixer, and feed the VCA's CV with a slow LFO. This will cause a constant, repeating rise/fall in the inverted EG's input to the mixer. Send the output from the attenuverting mixer on to the VCF's cutoff CV. The result will be envelopes that have a weird behavior to them, and if you set the level-governing LFO to a period that's not related to the rhythmic pattern that the track your working on, the VCF will constantly output different but related behavior each time it's swept by the mixer's constantly shifting modulation result. This also shows why you've GOT TO have ample VCAs for instances such as this; for generative work, the "support" modules do more heavy lifting than one might imagine! And even if you're NOT doing generative patching, the ability to add a little "ear candy" like that is ALSO what those modules are for. In short, they're essential, and one leaves them out at their peril!

Dear Lugia.
Had a spin last night with my current setup and I understand what you mean. The Modulations I am able to create so far are in the ballpark you describe. I used 2 of the fourmulators LFO's to slowly change the filter cutoff or resonance and had this described "Slow ever changing" effect.
But I can see your example is much more sophisticated.

I guess I just have to get deeper into my setup and see where it's boundaries are. But I am certain that VCO wise I am equipped.
VCA wise for the moment I think I am good but again, saving rack space with a quad VCA as mentioned will help.

Regarding Envelopes. The Dual Intellijel somewhat behaves weird to my ears. In slow mode, if I have all stages turned down and just up the Decay I can only move a fraction of the sliders path and the VCA is already reacting to it. Will have another go tonight but could this be the effect of Linear vs Exponential VCA curve?

Partly. Remember, if you have the attack all the way down, that actually equals the SAME amplitude change but at an extremely fast rate. Also, if the envelopes seem TOO punchy (sounds like that's the problem), adjust the CV input level on the VCA downward...try to NOT run VCAs wide-open, as a rule.

What's actually going on is that, without turning the decay up, you've got an envelope outputted that's actually too rapid for the VCA's latency. But when you increase the decay TIME (and not amplitude!), you actually are outputting the full amplitude swing on attack slowly enough to overcome the VCA latency. It SEEMS like the problem is the EG...but it's actually the CV input level to the VCA. Reducing the VCA's CV input level will get that under control.

FYI, the difference between linear and exponential actually has to do with whether or not you're using the VCA for CV/mod use, or for audio. Linear VCAs change level in a 1:1 proportion to the CV level. But exponential VCAs change level in an asymptotic curve that mirrors our perception of absolute loudness...which also works in an exponential manner, just like the decibel scale which measures loudness according to the same physics circumstances as how we perceive it. As a result, you use exponential VCA curves pretty much for AUDIO ONLY...as the exponential curve distorts the 1:1 scaling that VCAs...and their normal "client" signals...require for linear voltage changes.