Trying to move towards performance and figure out how to explore using modular for various genres (ambient, doom, industrial techno, and house). There are several modules I can see removing as they already are somewhat redundant. The current list for the chopping block are: Marbles and Plaits. I'm also considering replacing Maths with Rampage or a similar, but smaller, function generator. The Plaits I'd likely replace with another oscillator, probably something specialized as I already have a Moog Matriarch and Moog Werkstatt that can cover the smooth analog sound (and then some). Or maybe I don't need any more voices if I take into account the external voices.

I recently acquired a few utility modules from NE that are 3U format. If I do end up switching to a 4U case as my secondary, then I may ultimately replace some of those 3U modules with a 1U varieties—unfortunately that will likely not be from NE as they currently don't make 1U modules.

I have the WMD Performance Mixer here as I've read about performers using lots of mixers for live shows and they frequently mention this specific mixer. It's big and may be more than I need since I have less voices. E.g., I use a single BIA as monophonic drum and/or use an external sampler for drums. My mixing needs are then reduced. However, I'd still like to have wet/dry lines for various effects (reverb, delay, distortion). Also, I'm just realizing that when relying on a single module for all drum sounds, there isn't an easy way to live mix different drum sounds. If the module is driven by a sequencer (e.g., the Polyend Tracker), then I could set different levels in the sequence to achieve that effect. But it's definitely not the same as moving a single slider or twisting a single knob.

I think Erica makes a dedicated drum sub-mixer, and the Moffenzeef Moffenmix is really fun if you can find one secondhand. I always recommend the Happy Nerding 3xMIA for a mega-useful mixing utility. Happy Nerding also makes the 6Mix in 6hp. I've found sub-mixers to be an integral part of my performance oriented patching. The G-Storm Electro Infusor-X may be a sub-mixer worth looking at too.
I've also found Quadrax to be a quick and smaller alternative to Maths (though it's missing Maths' handy attenuverters. The 3xMIA can make up for those).
I can see getting rid of Marbles, but I would reconsider getting rid of Plaits. While it may not be the coolest oscillator in the world, it is one of the most versatile and sits nicely in a mix. I can always find a way to put Plaits to use in almost any patch.
Have fun and good luck!

Also, I don't know if you already have the Natural Gate or if it's on your wishlist. I haven't been able to personally justify the substantial cost or wait for this LPG yet. I know it doesn't have the same cool factor, but I just got the Takaab 2LPG and it sounds incredible. It's only 2hp and costs about $40. If you are in the market for an outstanding vactrol based LPG, the 2LPG is hard to beat.

Believe me, if you intend to mainly use this as a live gigging modular, you'll find that you'll probably want the expansion fader module for the WMD. The VC mixer on my Digisound has seen WAY more use than you'd suspect, because I use it to slot different signal paths in and out when live. With each path being a separate "instrument", this means I have at least four different, discrete "voices" present on the mixer, and I can slot those in and out as the set goes on. Sure, it looks like "too much" mixer right now, but wait until you implement it in an actual set. It'll get real busy, real quick.

Also, keep the Plaits. Farkas is spot-on there. It gives you everything from analog TO digital as far as sound palettes go. And while I can see the point about Marbles (it really is more of a "studio module"), you might consider keeping it as it's one of the more comprehensive random-source manipulators around. Now, my take on the Maths vs Quadrax thing is this: try having BOTH, especially with the Qx expander. By crosspatching the Quadrax/Qx with the Maths, the resulting modulation behavior should be VERY elaborate...something you could even use to "glue" a set together by having the strange mod activity affect all of your patches in a live set in some way. Sort of like some of what you hear on Orbital's "Brown Album", in the long set that runs from "Lush 3-1" through "Walk Now".

Also, I don't know if you already have the Natural Gate or if it's on your wishlist. I haven't been able to personally justify the substantial cost or wait for this LPG yet. I know it doesn't have the same cool factor, but I just got the Takaab 2LPG and it sounds incredible. It's only 2hp and costs about $40. If you are in the market for an outstanding vactrol based LPG, the 2LPG is hard to beat.
-- farkas

As a very pleased Natural Gate owner, who has also used several other LPGs, my suggestion is to get on the waiting list for a Natural Gate if you want one, and pick up the Takaab to keep you busy while you wait. The NG is a very special module.

I've definitely considered it. I'll watch some demos to help make up my mind. That always works out bad for my wallet though. Haha.

I've definitely considered it. I'll watch some demos to help make up my mind. That always works out bad for my wallet though. Haha.
-- farkas

My attitude when I purchased it was "if it doesn't live up to the hype, I'll be able to sell it instantly." But now that I've had it for a while, I cannot imagine selling it.