Hey all this is my current set up
Making all things ambient to trance & techno
I'm pretty set for making my baselines, just struggling with some melodic stuff to go with it all tips and patch ideas would be much appreciated :)

Or if you can suggest a module for some melodic stuff

Current set up, ModularGrid Rack

Hi Jevans,

You certainly got a rack with a few very interesting modules, the Hermod for example and in combination with the Hermod and a few oscillators you should be able to get some melody out of this rack :-)

If this would be my own rack, I would add one or two more oscillators, for example an STO from Make Noise or the Dixie 2+ from Intellijel.

I do see the Morgasmatron but is that the only filter you have in your rack? I feel you are lacking a bit on filters, try to consider one or two filters that have a different characteristic than what you can do with the Morgasmatron (I don't have experience with this module so it's a bit difficult to advice you here).

Having oscillators and filters added, you should be able to get some melodic results! Actually with this setup already but adding a few more oscillators makes it even better :-)

Have fun and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Oh, yeah...this is coming along. BTW, as for oscillators...there's actually the dual output from the Cloud Terrarium and the duo of dual crossmod-capable VCOs from Noise Reap. And in this build, the gap between the Noise Reaps is meant to have a Happy Nerding FM Aid, which can then tandem those into one OBSCENELY massive single, complex FM tonescaper. Yep, this is one of my designs, actually.

The point about adding another "relatively normal" VCF makes sense, though...hence the expansion space on the left end. MY vote there would be for something else complex...I was thinking about Doepfer's Xpander VCF, but mated with another of their little 4-in mixers so that it's possible to create "composite" filter responses. Best spot: between the Morgasmatron and Veils. The build's sort of a "every coast" design, so having things like that are an excellent fit...Buchla on the cheap!

So...melodics...here's a suggestion: feed just one VCO from one of the Noise Reaps into the Fold Processor, then instead of using a filter to mess with the timbre, feed the Fold's CV controls with some modulation sources (envelopes especially) so that you get a very in-your-face sound that has a shifting timbral "punctuation" at the attack of each note. Then send that right into one of the VCAs, no filtering, toneshaping purely done West Coast style with the Fold. There's a lot of that sort of thing lurking in there...explore and find MORE! Just don't connect outputs to outputs...but everything else is fair game.

Hi Lugia,

Yes, fair enough about those two Noise Reaps. Still, it's same as with the VCAs, right? You never can have enough oscillators ;-)

And never can have enough filters ;-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Oh, yeah...you CAN have too many oscillators! When it gets to a point that trying to keep the rig in tune with itself is becoming a joyless and impossible task, you've got too many oscillators. But also keep in mind that that bar WILL change as you gain experience over years, and as you build up a system that fits your own expanding musical needs.

From my experience, I'd say that seven VCOs is a good stop-point. And this is from my own experiences of using my Digisound 80 (four oscillators) in tandem with my ARP 2600 (three oscillators). A good example of what results from this can be found in one of my works, "Beneath Puget" (https://daccrowell.bandcamp.com/album/beneath-puget); on that work, the only other "voices" consist of an MS-20 doing something very static, plus the "intrusions" from the theremin. It's also worth noting that this recording was "live in studio"...one pass for the whole thing.

@Lugia, I'm listening to "Beneath Puget" now. This totally captures the atmosphere of the PNW. Excellent work.
I also see that one of your recommended albums on Bandcamp is "Black One" by Sunn 0))). Underrated album! I love "Kannon" as well.