https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2021/01/09/behringer-bringing-back-bcr2000-midi-controller-as-the-bcr32-with-built-in-zaquencer-sequencer/

Not that I approve of Uli's behavior, mind you...but in THIS case B. collaborated with the original Zaquencer firmware developer for the BCR2000 to arrive at THIS. There's several things that will make your head explode here...four channels of CV/g/t, MIDI I/O, all of the Zaquencer magic...

...and a price tag of $150-ish.

Pretty cool, pretty neat...and I have to say that it's refreshing as hell to see Uli doing this RIGHT after the Behringer Keystep or Arturia Swing or whatever the hell it is' intro (and its probably subsequent funeral).

Hi Lugia,

That indeed looks very interesting! Since there is no announcement/release date yet we have to be patience...

Talking about that, shouldn't be the Behringer 2600 coming out any moment from now? Oh... I just check at my local dealer's website... end of April... I thought it would have been somewhere this month or so...

Anyway patience seems to be a main ingredient required for synthesizers ;-)

Thanks for letting us know, interesting and let's see how that goes. Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

My B.2600 is paid for at this point. While Sweetwater has a listing for it, it's marked as "Check with your Sales Engineer" since it's going to be a bit before N.Am shipments. But if you DO check with them, you can set up and prepay an order. It's also worth noting that Thomann is saying "6 to 8 weeks" at present for the next B.2600 batch, which probably is the date it'll finally drop worldwide.

As for the BCR32 (that's the name of the new sequencer), it also seems a bit aimed at Korg as well. After all, they also dropped a 4-channel sequencer in the past few weeks...but it's not the Zaquencer, which already has a devoted following and a sizable user base. And while the Korg SQ-64 has some sizable differences, there's a lot of similarities between the two of them. But if you were to just view the situation in terms of sequencers that're appropriate for an ARP 2600, the BCR32 much more resembles a synth's step sequencer than the SQ-64. You've got the knob controls per step, for one thing...plus the Zaquencer firmware was more performance-oriented than most sequencers of that sort.

Not sure just yet, but Behringer may have whomped them twice. And with Korg's vague stumbling-around in the past couple of years (which seems to be getting worse...$1400 green MS-20, anyone? Anyone? Buehler?), maybe it'll take a few head-shots from Shenzhen to get them to snap out of that.

Hi Lugia,

Ha, ha, yes let's see where Korg is heading on the long run but looks like nothing much interesting for the moment.

It's good to hear that BCR32 and 2600 match so well. I am surprised to hear from you though, knowing that normally you don't like the "Behringer concept" very much, that you already done a full prepayment for the 2600. If there is one thing I have learned, no matter how "juicy" and nice something might look like (like the ASM for example that was once tested to me also quite a bit of a disappointment), I rather prefer to test it first at my local dealer before I really make a decision.

I agree with you, from the looks it almost can't fail, but I want to have it tested first :-)

Or can you return the item in case of a huge disappointment? Not that I expect that will happen, it really seems to be damn good :-)

Can't wait for the 2600 to arrive in the shops for testing! Usually a demo device arrives faster at my local dealer then the sales itself, since those kind of things, as you also already indicated, are sold out in a matter of minutes or hours.

Or once you received it and it's not generally available yet, a first impression from you would be very welcome :-) Thank you very much in advance and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

It's good to hear that BCR32 and 2600 match so well. I am surprised to hear from you though, knowing that normally you don't like the "Behringer concept" very much, that you already done a full prepayment for the 2600. If there is one thing I have learned, no matter how "juicy" and nice something might look like (like the ASM for example that was once tested to me also quite a bit of a disappointment), I rather prefer to test it first at my local dealer before I really make a decision.

I've gotten some feedback via some European players who got theirs when Thomann got the first drop, plus from my sales engineer at Sweetwater (who knows first-hand what a picky bastard I can be about synths!), and the info was consistent: the SOUND is indistinguishable, but the "sweet spots" are slightly different, probably owing to the different slider pots used. And if it doesn't work, I won't simply return it, but I'll actually return it to Sweetwater in person.

Yeah, I don't like Uli. I've watched his business antics since the company first popped up, and I've seriously disapproved of his behavior since then. At least he's been consistent for the past 30 years on that tip. But in THIS case, I'd have to say that I'm more pissed-off at Korg for the whole "limited edition 2600 reissue" crapfest, which was the cherry on a bullshit cake that had taken a few years to bake as far as I was concerned. Even if they came out with a shrinky-dink 2600 at this point...yeah, don't care. Especially since there seems to be some very real QC issues with that $4k musical erection substitute of theirs.

But as for the BCR32...remember, I've used the ARP 1601 back in the day, and Korg's not made any move aside of the SQ-64 to come up with a substitute. The BCR32 comes a lot closer to the 1601, in that you have the ability to do a lot on the fly since the BCR2000 + ZAQuencer firmware was intended specifically as a LIVE performance tool, not merely a studio thing. And, of course, $150...plus, in THIS case, B. didn't just rip off the ZAQencer's developer, as he's getting credit for the firmware AND, apparently, a royalty on units sold. Hopefully that's a trend...except that they pulled the "Swing" stunt around the same point in time, so...perhaps not. Maybe the CCP will nationalize his factory and give it to Cuvave...which, IMHO, would be CRAZY COOL given what Cuvave was able to do on their own with a minimal budget. Not likely, tho...

Can't wait for the 2600 to arrive in the shops for testing! Usually a demo device arrives faster at my local dealer then the sales itself, since those kind of things, as you also already indicated, are sold out in a matter of minutes or hours.

This is why I did the lock-in the way that I did. I'm not getting burned on getting a new 2600 twice. But this would've been different anyway, since it doesn't come in a "LIMITED" "road" case that seems to have been made of papier-mache but which is part of the whole "LIMITED" rationale.

Really, I think Korg needs to issue an apology to the synth community for yanking them around for, in some cases, several YEARS with this 2600 shitshow. If they want to sell any "shrunk 2600s", that is. Otherwise, the Behringer 2600 is likely to be far more ubiquitous than Korg might like! And along with nonsense like $1400 green and blue MS-20s, drum machines without basic sync ports, attempting to rehash the Kronos as the Nautilus, rehashing the Wavestation as the Wavestate, etc etc etc, Korg needs to watch its step, as there seems to be a gradually-accumulating litany of errors from them in the past couple of years. Not good.

Hi Lugia,

Thanks a lot for the additional information, interesting reading material! :-)

Not sure if Uli likes your idea of nationalising his factory and then give it to Cuvave, he might be "not amused" ;-)

I barely can wait for the Behringer's 2600 and BCR32. The way they sound from what you told, it sounds like a great addition to our modular synths!

Have a good weekend and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Lugia, All,

Well the 2600 (Blue Marvin) I got it now, very happy with it as I mentioned already elsewhere in this forum. Now I just got to know that the BCR32 is likely going to be produced. It's just a matter of a few more years now... ;-) But it seems to be coming.

I can't wait for having the BCR32 tested at my local dealer! :-D

Kind regards, Garfield.

P.S.: Don't tell me you got the BCR32 already in your studio and you were one of the first ones? ;-)