I recently contacted Thonk about a Dannysound MM VCA module. Thonk replied, indicating that they are just the retailer, not the manufacturer. All Dannysound modules should be listed with Dannysound as the manufacturer, not Thonk.

I don't have the authority to add manufacturers to the master list, but I would be happy to edit the Dannysound modules once someone does add the manufacturer in.

Umm, maybe you ask Dannysound to register as manufacturer at MG?

-- wiggler55550

I already asked ModularGrid, because that's what we're supposed to do as users.

Dannysound already has more than enough modules on MG to qualify without having to ask them to come here and make the request themselves, especially seeing as there is a community of users here, like me, who own modules of theirs and have a vested interest in seeing the information represented correctly.

-- wiggler55550

I already asked ModularGrid, because that's what we're supposed to do as users.
-- sibilant

Not how it works. While MG's info is very much user-sourced, adding manufacturers is something that manufacturers have to request themselves. And the reason for this is because if THAT were user-sourced, there would be nothing to stop spammers and other related jackasses from adding fake manufacturers or some such bullshit listings because...well, this IS the Internet, you know. The mods here have enough to deal with in keeping that off of the forums (and yes, there have been some HIDEOUS spam attacks there over the past few years, all thwarted by MG's excellent crew) and maintaining this amazingly-huge database already.

Not how it works. While MG's info is very much user-sourced, adding manufacturers is something that manufacturers have to request themselves. And the reason for this is because if THAT were user-sourced, there would be nothing to stop spammers and other related jackasses from adding fake manufacturers or some such bullshit listings because...well, this IS the Internet, you know. The mods here have enough to deal with in keeping that off of the forums (and yes, there have been some HIDEOUS spam attacks there over the past few years, all thwarted by MG's excellent crew) and maintaining this amazingly-huge database already.

-- Lugia

I just contacted Dannysound about this, too. Thanks

@Lugia & Moderators if you see this

would it be possible instead of only adding manufacturers when they request it to also allow the addition of Manufacturers when requested by a user - a minimum amount of vetting would be required - probably a mod would have to verify the manufacturer - but this is not that difficult - send the manufacturer an email and get a reply

and it can even be a pro forma request - possibly automated

"Hi Manufacturer,

We have been requested to add you as a manufacturer on our site by a user, this will mean that people searching for your modules
will find it a bit easier to find them, as you will no longer be in the 'other/unknown' category. This may mean more demand for you modules. Please let us know if you are ok with this. Our policy is to not do this without your specific consent.

If you do choose to do this could you please make sure that the power consumption stats for your modules are as correct as possible.

best regards and thanks in advance

ModularGrid.net Moderator"

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

+1 on Jim's idea here...not only does this more easily take care of the "other/unknown" issues, it also lets incoming manufacturers know better about what info MG and its users require.

I have added Dannysound to the manufacturer list and reassigned the modules.

would it be possible instead of only adding manufacturers when they request it to also allow the addition of Manufacturers when requested by a user

-- JimHowell1970

Sure that is already possible. The only reason I prefer manufacturers to register themselves is that they can get a manufacturer account and set the Approved by manufacturer lock which mostly improves the data.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

The only reason I prefer manufacturers to register themselves is that they can get a manufacturer account and set the Approved by manufacturer lock which mostly improves the data.
-- modulargrid

Mostly. There's still issues, though, most notably when a manufacturer discontinues a module and they don't bother to come back and change that module's MG listing. Or when the manufacturer in question doesn't exactly "get" what MG is about and they don't complete module listings, etc because they're not 100% aware of the site's utility to a wider synthesist community. I like Jim's idea about a "form email", but I think it needs a bit more fleshing-out...something with a bit of an explanation of what MG is, why MG exists, MG's general traffic levels, what data MG wants, etc. If these companies know more about what Modulargrid is about, and the basic fact that being in this cited reference database is pretty critical to both them AND the MG users, this should result (hopefully!) in even better data that actually gets cleaned-up when the "Approved" lock is on.

Mostly. There's still issues, though, most notably when a manufacturer discontinues a module and they don't bother to come back and change that module's MG listing. [...]

-- Lugia

Sure Lugia, I am aware of the problems. What users can do currently if they see a locked module with off specs:
Click on the Message the Manufacturer button besides the manufacturer stamp and remind the manufacturer to refine the data or unlock the module.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Yes but that's also a problem - especially amongst smaller 1-person manufacturers - they don't have time to check and update a lot of these things

The perfect example is York Modular - there's a request on the website somewhere, iirc, where someone asks him to update ModularGrid and he basically says he doesn't have the time or inclination

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities