Update: I have the older manual now, but the midi input port is still not responding to both midi messages and sysex file transfers. I can exclude some causes with my cable management, since the midi out is working fine (sending note and gate data, tested on laptop's midi in monitor and the midi in on one of my synths - this works like a charm!) Things I have tried to find out what the problem actually is:

• The midi to cv mode (powering on while holding the left arrow key). This is not working, but it might be helpfull to say that when the module is powered on in this mode, the CV1 output moves to approx. +5.24 volt, except when voltage mode is set to 5V unquantized, then the CV1 output moves to approx. +1.92 volt. CV2 moves to +5.24 volgt and gate2 to +4.45 volt.
  • Booting into the firware update mode (powering on while holding reset key). The two left ligths are red but nothing happens when I send a sysex file (both the A & B files)
  • Different midi to TRS adapters (the one provided and adapters from 1010music, arturia and Empress effects)
  • Flipping the mini switches on the back of the module - I've tried all four combinations
  • Two different midi-usb interfaces

so instead of trying to connect the PSU's parallel i am going to add another RT65B in this specific row and everything should be fine...
thanks again!

-- modular01

Yeah, just adding another "power zone" is definitely the easier/more reliable solution!

please do NOT bridge your psu in parallel. when one gets broken your other lines will be overpowered and may burn down !
it is possible to bridge them for redundant use, but only until total power output for ONE psu.
datasheet RT-65B :
rated current : 5V=5A / +12V=2,8A / -12V=0,5A
current range : 5V=0-8A / +12V=0-3,5A / -12V=0-1A (Note 6: Each Output can work within current range. But total output power can't exceed rated output power.) here 64W, but try to stay below 80% i.e ca. 54W.
That means if you have 1A on the -12V rail you have max 2,3A on the +12V rail. so you can use your hungry WMD module within this rules. cheers.

thanks @justarandomgeek and @BrumoD for your answers!
I found the hint for 'current sharing' on the Meanwell website.
The RT65-B which i use, does not have this feature.

But in the Datasheet i found that there will be headroom up to 1A on the -12V line as long as the total power consumption does not exceed 64.4W

so instead of trying to connect the PSU's parallel i am going to add another RT65B in this specific row and everything should be fine...
thanks again!

If I remember correctly some Meanwell type of converters allow parallel use. They have a kind of current sensing wire and compensation circuit. I believe there’s also an application note available on their website.
-- BrumoD

yeah, for proper load sharing they need a little bit of sensing, but some (not all!!) dumb supplies are designed for parallel usage too, just with less-perfect sharing. I just don't know if OP's particular one is or not and can't quickly tell from its datasheet (usually a bad sign).

If I remember correctly some Meanwell type of converters allow parallel use. They have a kind of current sensing wire and compensation circuit. I believe there’s also an application note available on their website.

Hi all,
I've received a secondhand RYK M185 module today - the thing is pretty dope. Awesome for making acid baselines!
However when I tried to hook it up to my other gear to use it's clock as a slave, it noticed that the settings menu (where you set the midi in jack to be used as a reset) is different from the manual.
Instinctively I tried to update the firmware, but that doesn't seem to work either. When I hook up a midi monitor from my laptop via a midi - usb interface, the midi out of the M185 seems to work perfect but the midi is gives no reponse, both the sysex firmware update and sending notes in (what I think is) the midi to CV mode.
Does some have an older version of the M185 manual or can maybe knows why the firmware update is not working?
Thanks in advance!

So, in theory you can do this, but in practice there are a lot of ways it can go wrong too. If the supplies aren't perfectly matched (far closer than normal usage would require, so they probably aren't) they won't share the loads evenly, so you won't get as much extra headroom as you'd think, and if they're very badly unmatched they might drive power directly from one supply into another. Also, depending on their design they may also develop resonance/interference between them leading to, at best, very unclean power, and at worst, equipment-damaging surges. You might get away with it, if you're lucky, but i doubt anyone on here will be willing to say you will get away with it. I certainly wouldn't encourage it.

this user has left ModularGrid

Fine transaction with @Karus
Recommended !

I agree for a case this big you probably only want one sound source (beads also had over but you probably won't use it often if you are using beads for effects)

I don't know enough about pizza but the twin waves has two oscillators that can fm and am each other, and also double as LFO if needed.

However, without the quadrax you are going to be stuck using the o_c for envelopes which is a shame as it has lots to offer otherwise.

If you do put the quadrax back you can use one of its channels to fm the pizza

One option might be too go to a 6u case 😅

maybe my question was hard to understand. so here is another approach:
is it possible to sum up the headroom of all PSU's for all voltages over the entire rack by simply connecting the bus boards with 16 pin flat cables like this (or alternatively on the stronger wires directly on the PSU's output terminals which is technically the same)?
thanks in advance for any feedback or thoughts!

I've been thinking about all the suggestions you've given me. Thanks again to all. I have literally fallen in love with Steve's MS-22 and also Bastl Pizza... This is the setup I have planned now based on your advice and after watching different demos and reviews.

ModularGrid Rack

Just one last question:
Maybe having BPizza and TW makes no much sense for this setup? I wonder if it would be smart to put for example an FX AID XL instead of the twin waves, or the Bastl Pizza? Because Twin Waves is more versatile I think... Maybe a different oscillator that complement one of these? I don't know, what would you prioritize in this case?

Thank you very much again to everyone! You are so helpful

post the url of your public rack, it really helps us help you!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi folks it's been little over a year i start modular...just did this deep hypnotic techno jam...
nothing polish and fancy...no edit in one take....

=1353e43648514e28af41106b578887e9&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

any techno soldier over here ???

peace !

minimal, techno, dark, percussive, psy

https://soundcloud.com/steve-fortin-876844137

Is anything glaringly wrong/missing from what I've put together here?

This is my first foray into modular, and while I don't intend to buy all these modules at once, this is the dream build.

I've worked with drum machines and synthesizers for over a decade and want to move beyond them. I currently own a Prophet Rev2, Elektron Analog Rytm, and an Elektron Digitone.

My goal is to build a machine (focused on percussion) that has the ability to create evolving and generative patterns.

Any suggestions regarding module redundancy or any section of the signal process being underrepresented?

Thank you! =)

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2044431.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/haoaascdipc0qev/Screen%20Shot%202022-10-11%20at%203.34.32%20PM.png?dl=0

I'm currently running out of rack space so I'm toying with the idea of mounting some of my 3U modules sideways in my 1U row with an adapter. It'd be nice to allow for 90 degree rotation so I can include rotated modules in my power draw/overall view. I'd also like to have an optional "stackable" property for these adapters, since they're designed to hold other modules. For instance: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/abyss-devices-3u-to-1u-adapter-pulp-logic

There's a bit of discussion about this idea in this thread, where the idea of 180 degree rotation first came up:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/840

If there's an open-source repo for modulargrid, I could try to implement this myself. Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you!

Great combo here, Portable to be used anywhere and a lot of variety for such limited HP.

Battery and Case info
Battery is 66W and it lasts for at least 5 hours and probably more. Bonus USB port on the battery can also be used for a keystep or other accessory if needed at the same time.
https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-12000mAh-Multi-led-indicator/dp/B00ME3ZH7C?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Case is 48hp 4ms pod

FYI: One more observation about the battery, The only module issues I have ever seen with this setup is with a squid salmple I used to own. The squid turned on and seemed normal but would not take triggers for whatever reason.

I think you're on the right track with the Disting - sequencing, random, and modulation would definitely expand your rack's functionality tremendously.

If you're into DIY, I think the biggest bang for your buck would be an mxmxmx Ornament and Crime. The O_c has two dominant firmwares at the moment: the default one, which allows it to act as a sequencer, source of random, quadrature LFO, complex envelope generator, quantizer, and a couple other things, but usually one item at a time. The hemispheres firmware cuts down on the scale of these features, but adds a ton of different utilities, and you can run two at once. I have one for each firmware, and they always come in handy. Pusherman has a bunch of kits, including a full (chonky) through-hole kit, and a micro kit with all the surface mount pieces already soldered.

For the glitch effects, I'm not sure if there's currently a good DIY option for that sort of thing, but the QuBit Data Bender sounds right up your alley

Hi, been a while but thanks for all the suggestions, sadly my imaptient ass did already order all the modules, aswell as behringers brains. I really didn´t know Behringer had such a bad reputation in the modular world. And i totally get it cause they do feel really cheap (which they are), but i must say i absolutely love the sound of brains and the zverb. The doepfer modules are fine but i did notice some crosstalk with chips and cells (which is both annoying and kind of intresting), although more expensive maths would have surely been a better option.
Now the one module im actually disappointed in is the Filtamp it was the first module i got after getting the bundle and its just way to limited for its size and as @BerkleeGrad1984 pointed out its really annoying to use since in order to use the filter you have to use the amp and in order to use the amp you have to use the filter. I do like the filter but the module is just way to big and annoying to use so i will probably get a diffrent one in future.

So actually if I got rid of what I want to get rid of then the rack would look more like this:

ModularGrid Rack

I have this very basic single-voice rack built out of cheap DIY kits and hand-me-downs, in a little case powered by another DIY kit (the Frequency Central Microbus). It's augmented by a Doepfer Dark Energy 1, so I have a second voice and extra envelope, LFO etc which is nice but essentially it's quite a restricted 'straight' little system, and I want something new that will give me a bit of scope for... weirdness

ModularGrid Rack

Some pointers:
- I sequence everything with a beatstep pro and I'm kind of happy with that workflow for 'straight' stuff. I don't need anything with a sequencer
- I have a couple of volcas to do drums for the moment. Modular drum stuff seems like an expensive path to go down so I'm not ready for that yet
- The second oscillator is identical to that built into the Device; I screwed up the Device build and it wouldn't tune properly, so I bought someone else's build for cheap and swapped the PCBs around behind the panels. I might get rid of it to save space, as I only seem to use it as an LFO or to thicken up drones
- I know I don't need two Pocket Calculators - I only ever use one to try and make strange sequences out of the homemade LFO
- Also yes, I know the homemade triple-attenuator is massive. I could probably cut down on the size with a smaller panel (it's three tiny passive PCBs)
- I have two (yes two) Music Thing Spring Reverbs to finish building. One was working for a time but something went wrong so is bricked, and another is an untouched kit. The idea is to have 2 and pan them. You can do mad things with hard panned spring reverbs, an LFO, and the pocket calculator
- I've got decent reverbs and delays through my mixer

I'm happy with where it's going, essentially a slightly less 'semi' modular system which is as much an effects processor as it is a modular synth in its own right.

BUT

I'd like to have a bit more strictly 'modular' capability, whether it's some interesting ways of generating patterns, or a few different VCO-type sounds (ie digital oscillators or other sound-generation stuff), or maybe even something that takes an SD card for samples/granular. I make what could be described as 'sort of techno' (ie 4/4 etc) but also 'sort of noise' and drones. I like to run external stuff through it sometimes too like guitars or cheap poly keyboards. Basically I like to experiment!

So I've been looking at multi-function stuff a bit lately. The Disting seems to have a few nice things about it but it seems very small for all that functionality, and some of those functions are maybe a bit too 'utility'? I know some of the Mutable modules (either orig or clones) can do lots of different things. Part of this is budget; as you can see from all the DIY kits, I'm not rolling in dough!

From this very uncertain description of what I want to do, does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions of where to go next? I'm leaning towards getting something that works straight away but if something DIY could be got for cheap then simple through-hole only stuff is about all I'm capable of.

Sorry for rambling. Thanks for getting this far (if you did). Hope you can help!

Quadrax is excellent and can self patch in some interesting and fun ways (LFO at audio rate, amplitude modified by a second channel, wave shape wobbled by a third, and pitch affected by the drunken walk alternative mode of the LFO in the 4th channel for example)

Distings is great to fill a gap, but you already have O_C and effectively 3 channels of distings feels overkill / too much choice. If I'm using distings I've exhausted every other way of doing it because the menu on the MK4 is infuriating.

A filter with a variety of modulation would give you more to do with your sound. Steve's ms22 is well regarded and only 4u.

Personally I just don't get on with plaits, I keep going back to it and trying again and again. But it's difficult to tune and whilst very multifunctional, doesn't give me the same joy as something like the twin waves or even the godspeed, (recently I was even enjoying pinging a self oscillating filter through fx more than plaits) and rings does all the interesting modes better. The bastl pizza is also very hot at the moment and worth a look.

I love beads... But also check out the happy herding fx aid... If you happen to find more u to play with

Is a free-running oscillator. Do with that what you will.

Thanks Sythic! I didn’t know about Quadrax and I am absolutely amazed. I was struggling because it’s really difficult to get Stages for a good prize, so I am very happy knowing about Quadrax. I think this setup would be more in balance than the original I shared here. I replaced Marbles for a dual vca and quadrax. I would save marbles for my next setup…😅 What do you think?

About filters, I think I can survive using one of the distings for that, which are also stereo.

ModularGrid Rack

Just another live jam session. Enjoy!

-mowse

Hello New user manual, this time about the fantastic TIMBER from Bastl Instruments. In this video, we see in detail the features of the module in detail with some examples here and there! Timber is a signal processing module, audio or cv, it offers a wavedriver, on the left, a wavefolder on the right each of these processors has its independent output, but there is also an x-fade output. A resolutely powerful module.

Another one from Djupviks Electronik, this is their Bunker Archeology reverb/static module.
Lots to solder, including 6 surface mount capacitors, but not too hard. A bit of an issue with panel fitment, had to file out a couple of holes, but not bad.
Sounds really good, went a while on the demo because of that. This one moves into my main studio rack.
Build

I'd personally take out the marbles, the plaits and at least one of the distings (the screen on the MK4 sucks, but also having effectively three of them with the dual disting ex is going to be boring). In their place I'd try to fit modulation (maybe quadrax which is a lot packed into one package, or tilt, ochd, a clone of peaks for more compact options), an interesting oscillator (maybe twin waves), a filter to suit your taste, and hopefully there is room for a few vcas (maybe veils or a clone)

Thank you Pmwmartens and wishbonebrewery for your ideas and suggestions, really helpful. I know that it will be difficult to stop when I complete 84hp, but even if I start a new case separately, I would always like to have this setup as a complete, flexible and self-sufficient piece in many cases, embedded in my desktop. This is why I would like to make good choices with the modules that occupy this rack.

It is true that I have many options for trigger, gate and modulation. I could always use one of the 3 Disting like Envelope-VCA for example, but maybe it would be smart to save room for a quad vca maybe?

I think if I have to replace something I would remove Marbles. I already have it and I really love playing with it, but I think the combination of Palms with uO_C could be more precise, flexible and usable in my case, although I have never tried them. What do you think?

Any piece of advice will be super appreciated.

Hi,
i have 3 pieces of Meanwell RT65B in my rack and i am quiet happy with it.
the specs are

+12V 2,8A  
-12V 0,5A  
 +5V 5,0A

which is a bit poor on the -12V line.
now i am planning to build a bigger case 197HP x 18U where each of the 6 rows gets one RT65B
I do have a module (WMD Performance Mixer) which is very hungry (430mA) on the -12V line. so i do not have enough headroom for other modules within this row.
it would be possible to add a 2nd RT65B to this row for having one power supply per bus board. but even that is not enough headroom on the bus board the WMD mixer is connected to.

So my question:
is it possible to interconnect all busboards which have a separate power supply?
so my result is 6 pieces of RT65B all connected together in parallel on the secondary lines (-12V, +12V, +5V, GND) for extendig the headroom for all 3 voltages over the entire rack.
As far as i know the voltage won't change as long as it is connected parallel.
thanks for any advice!

I love the extensive CV modulation capabilities! And this slim module is such a rack space saver! *slow clap

Hey moderators, someone added a weird custom panel yesterday and it's being treated as the default HEAD panel. please change this to the actual panel design from ALM. Thanks.

You have lots of Trigger, gate and modulation control there.

For your next 84hp, Ya'no before you up-scale to 104hp and 2 rows ;-)

Some good old fashioned VCA's or simple passive attenuators would be good, add a filter module that will react to Pinging as pings and sweeps are good. VCA-wise you could grab something like a https://www.modulargrid.net/e/future-sound-systems-p-o-c-a-vac1 as it's passive so draws no power and will give you CV-able VCA's.

Grab an Error Instruments Indian Resonator, its got a whole swathe of ambient clicky warbling goodness in it, a great design element.

Make Noise Mimeophon is lots of fun, hopefully one of my next purchases will be a Morphagene, though also tempted by the 2HP Loop.

I thought 84hp would be all I ever needed hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa Enjoy the ride.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I think you would like to have a double stereo mixer (rings and beads) and a line out. It is a lot easier to mix hands on in the case while performing instead of an external mixer. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-a-312
Also I would certainly keep Plaits, and add a small filter and distortion like https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-engineering-viol-ruina-silver-w-knobs

Thank you very much for your reply, Ginger89. It is true that there is a lot of multifunction there but, since I have little space, I prefer to have access to a variety of tools for different scenarios, even if it is not as fast and intuitive as it is with specific modules. It's not really a problem.

You are right in what you mention about Plaits, but it seems to me a very good module in what it does and also versatile, and at the moment (from my beginner's perspective) it is difficult to imagine the setup without this piece. Besides, I would love to consider Stages, but it is bigger than Plaits...

Thank you so much again!

Hey hey. This already looks quite good from a functional point of view. I think all the main aspects should be covered. What I thought was that this is a setup which really involved a lot of menu diving. Half of your modules have soo many functions and menus that it will not be a rack which is intuitive and quick to use and you will spend a lot of time searching in submenus. If you can life with this it is fine. If not I would think of maybe kicking out plaits since soundwise most of the sounds are included in the modes of beads and rings and some of the modules with screens and add a function generator (stages is highly recommended from my side).
Cheers

Bought a Soma Lyra8-FX from @yochwired - highly recommended seller. Very fast replies and shipment, module in perfect condition.

Hello. I am a film composer and I'm designing a small and versatile setup, but I would need some help because I am pretty new at this. I have 84hp in total and I don't want to add more at the moment, because it's a rack attached to the desk in my studio and I love having it there. My intention is to experiment with doing a bit of everything, especially ambient and generative, but in most cases, I am going to use it as one instrument more for my productions, together with my Arturia Keystep 37. I have an external mixer to route my modules there and it goes in stereo to my audio interface. Sometimes it will be the heart of a piece and other I will just make some ambient drones or textures as one more layer or for sound design.

ModularGrid Rack

Could you please tell me if I'm missing something essential? Could you suggest any changes? I think I might be forgetting some nice pieces perfect for what I want.

Thank you very much in advance!

That's not what I'm looking for indeed, thanks for the tip though

It's more of a space thing. As I said I have to travel, and every little thing in the bag takes space, so I'm looking for a solution that wouldn't take too much space in the bag.

Wow thanks for the link, it's gonna save me quite some time !
How about using power splitters, such as this ?
https://www.megateh.eu/products/power-supply/power-splitter-1-to-4

Hi all,
I'm a newcomer in the Eurorack realm, and the proud owner of a Moog studio.
I love the Moog boat case. As a traveller, I find its size format really convenient, and also pretty.
So, I would like to extend my setup exclusively with it.
Here's the idea:
I would like to get 3 empty boats with Boat Rocker PSUs, and add some modules.
Each of the boats would be mission specific (drums, effects, mix/master, utilities....).
On top of that I would mount these on a custom stand.
The concept here would be to easily interchange/ detach each boat unit, in case I'm travelling. I could also extend my setup progressively this way. The result would kind of look like a modular-modular case ^^
What do you think about this idea ? Is it good or bad ?
Also, what about powering ? Is there a way to not have to plug each of them separately?
Happy to know your thoughts about it.

I got it working, the sysex from the novation with the erica sequencer midi going thru it will only work if the tx81z is set to receive on midi ch1, doesn't seem to work with any other channel.

Thread: ##DR.180

can the cosmix be chained? does everyone see these meesages or just the owner of the rack?

can't someone help? how to get rid of the cat?

only have modules inside the rack...

and search doesn't return anything for Behringer??
-- ZenMusic

consider yourself lucky? or try looking under manufacturer...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

can't someone help? how to get rid of the cat? and search doesn't return anything for Behringer??