Very poetic and drony. Nicely done! I also like creating weird experimental stuff on my modular.
-- sacguy71

Thanks sac guy. All of my music is experimental by default (because I have no idea what I'm doing!)

this user has left ModularGrid

For me the cost financially to buy modules and space required for a studio are really the only negatives. I do mostly weird experimental stuff that modular seems to excel at compared to traditional synths and I spend all day at work on a computer so the hands on tactile feel of patching cables to make sound is very attractive therapy. Plus I was not able to travel for vacations overseas for 2.5 years so the money I would have spent on vacations was funneled to modular instead. Love it! But now I have a lot of modules and no need to buy anything for a long time until I can master my gear and make tracks I enjoy.

Very poetic and drony. Nicely done! I also like creating weird experimental stuff on my modular.

I got a mantis case I dont use for sale if you Are in EU

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Groovy dude I dig it!

To celebrate the 4th and cats since modular is all about cool cats making beats, I present a weird funky experimental track!

Now, I know that certain folks here like that NG dude will hate it but don't listen then!

patch info in the video description
thanks for watching

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

The original Amp & Tone is 16hp. The 2020 version is 10hp. Which do you have? Nothing else is really like it, in 10hp no less.
-- bopodoq

I have the 10 HP

I have a field kit fx for vcas but since it’s a vca mixer they’re merged on the output.. however I may not realise how much I will miss vcas (what you see on the rack url is what I planned to get but haven’t filled all the space yet).
What is a « quad cascading one » ?

you'll almost definitely need more vcas then... they are one of the most fundamental parts of a synthesizer... they are incredibly useful for modulation as well as audio - and being able to be used individually is very helpful

a quad cascading vca is 4 vcas that can be used as a mixer, but can also be split to use individually or severally - veils is a good example

For trigger, pitch and gate I also have a keystep and an mpc one (as a midi interface with the rest of my studio for sequencing). I intend to be satisfied with it for the moment given the staggering sums involved in the transition to modular.

sounds like a plan

Regarding the connection of my system without attenuation to my studio mixer, my mixer is digital (presonus studiolive), so I avoid clipping at all costs then it leads me to always watch the vu-meter (which is right behind me). And, might be wrong but I think attenuators are kind of a second hand solution for my purpose, especially because the output issue comes from the need of headphones socket.

doesn't the studiolive have a headphone socket? attenuators are always useful!

there's a great headphone module from alm busy circuits called hpo

@Cangore thanks, I already took a look on that module and yes it could finally fix all of my needs. But i still expect to find finer solution. Now, regarding that perfection doesn’t exists and since I don’t own an es-9, an harvest man quad pedal send and a proper solution with input gain +30db, I should consider taking 10hp for that.

the outputs from tex-mex are modular level... really your mixer should be fine...

I have to confess that my case seems too be already too small… 😐
-- Lijcke

unless you build in 30%+ for expansion they always do... hehehe

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I gave the TS1 a few tests on this video, where I've made 3 little (48hp) systems where the TS1 is perfect for the ones that'd like to get/build/work on tiny systems.

To add to this, it'd be great to still be able to propose edits for manufacturer approved modules. The es x mki EDU mixer, for instance, has a typo in its description that I can't fix because it's locked.

The original Amp & Tone is 16hp. The 2020 version is 10hp. Which do you have? Nothing else is really like it, in 10hp no less.

Hey!

I have an Ampo & Tone which i love but i recently scaled down my set up and im trying to find an similiar module in smaller HP, do you have any to recommend?

The mixer issue isn't so much digital vs analog as whether it can handle a hot signal, and I think most can. The Presonus Studio Live seems to have a gain control that can lower as much as -20dB, which should be enough (-13.5dB is what's needed). But I still think it's much easier to have an output module and not worry about any of this.

Your case is too small for the modules you have chosen (because you'll likely need more). You can do all right with a case of that size but it takes some experience to know what to choose for it, and even then, it will be limited.

Thanks all of you for sharing experience.

@JimHowell1970 Here’s the url : ModularGrid Rack
I have a field kit fx for vcas but since it’s a vca mixer they’re merged on the output.. however I may not realise how much I will miss vcas (what you see on the rack url is what I planned to get but haven’t filled all the space yet).
What is a « quad cascading one » ?
For trigger, pitch and gate I also have a keystep and an mpc one (as a midi interface with the rest of my studio for sequencing). I intend to be satisfied with it for the moment given the staggering sums involved in the transition to modular.

Regarding the connection of my system without attenuation to my studio mixer, my mixer is digital (presonus studiolive), so I avoid clipping at all costs then it leads me to always watch the vu-meter (which is right behind me). And, might be wrong but I think attenuators are kind of a second hand solution for my purpose, especially because the output issue comes from the need of headphones socket.

@Cangore thanks, I already took a look on that module and yes it could finally fix all of my needs. But i still expect to find finer solution. Now, regarding that perfection doesn’t exists and since I don’t own an es-9, an harvest man quad pedal send and a proper solution with input gain +30db, I should consider taking 10hp for that.

I have to confess that my case seems too be already too small… 😐

It would be helpful if MG provided a means for a user to edit modules locked in virtue of being approved by manufacturer. Perhaps a two-step process.

I recently was able to verify via email that the manufacturer Dovemans is out of business. It would be great if I or someone with greater permissions could mark all of their modules as discontinued.

I have both Befaco Out and Ferry and like them both. Yes, you can use Ferry's send as an output, or as Jim says above, just use your mixer or passive attenuators. But it is handy to have each of these modules. The 1/4" balanced outs/headphone and the cue feature on Out are all useful, while with Ferry you have to use adapter cables, but that lets Ferry be quite small. For the space these take up, the convenience wins for me. You have a number of much larger modules, and you might think carefully about each of those.

Thank Jim !
I need a solution to :
1. input my studio mixer bus out (to send external synths to my modular).

I didn't see a vca in your rack - I would get a quad cascading one (also doubles as a mixer) that actually amplifies (most vcas do not) - mutable veils has always been my first choice and you may be able to find one new still, otherwise a used one, or an intellijel quad will do...

1. lower the modular output to get into my studio mixer but in fact especially for headphones : stéréo out 1/4 jack (to not need any adaptor) TRS if available and a 'volume' knob.

have you tried just going straight from your eurorack mixer? is there clipping? if so attenuators or an output module will work - it'll probably be fine just going straight into your mixer with the appropriate cables - 1/8"->1/4" - I did this for a long time with a basic 15 year old 10 channel yamaha mixer

1. send/return - send modular signal into a Beebo or an Organelle and returning with eurorack level. The Organelle output level is so low that i think it might be guitar level, perhaps so a 'gain in' knob can be very useful.

AISynthesis make an inexpensive pedal interface and you can get 2 in 4hp, if you need that... they are reasonably simple DIY builds - you'll need appropriate cables though (see above)

Don't know if it helps but here's my rack :
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1962355.jpg

please post an actual link (the url) to your public rack - jpgs are next to useless - and there are almost 10k modules - so the chances that I (or anyone else) looking at your rack ad not knowing at least one module is pretty high...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Just a little chip in...
+1 on the Befaco OUT https://www.modulargrid.net/e/befaco-out-v3 Its especially well-priced if you fancy a bit of soldering and will take you down to Line-Level from Modular.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Definitely get a larger case and thank me later. I would go no smaller than 6u. Even better a 9u Doepfer case or perhaps more affordable case would be a Mantis case. Second, you need a lot of support modules! Attenuators, envelope generators, cv mixer, sequential switch, VCAs, so forth.

Tex mix Return A can be configured for line return (it‘s basically a stereo in with simple volume control). Has 1 Master out, 1 configurable ouput (Seperate Bus or Master/ Cue Bus CF) +Headphone out.
Also it‘s a very compact fully expandable mixing solution.
Yes it‘s more than 6hp but it also has your mixing fully covered and won‘t be thrown into the gutter when you expand.
Thank you @JimHowell1970 for the recommendation.
Also dirt cheap. Might suit your needs and even go way beyond.

Edit:
Forgot about direct out‘s expansion which you could also use to go to your main Mixer if you wish.

Thank Jim !
I need a solution to :
1. input my studio mixer bus out (to send external synths to my modular).
2. lower the modular output to get into my studio mixer but in fact especially for headphones : stéréo out 1/4 jack (to not need any adaptor) TRS if available and a 'volume' knob.
3. send/return - send modular signal into a Beebo or an Organelle and returning with eurorack level. The Organelle output level is so low that i think it might be guitar level, perhaps so a 'gain in' knob can be very useful.

Don't know if it helps but here's my rack :
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1962355.jpg

I haven't decided on modules 'Befaco Out V2' and 'knob.farm Ferry' yet. In fact, I am a beginner so if you have any advice, maybe a type of module is missing?

Any suggestion ?

it really depends on the send/return module - most are intended for guitar effects pedals - which expect guitar volumes - which are much lower than line level...

why do you think you need a line level output? a lot of mixers/audio interfaces can easily handle modular levels - possibly with just a bit of attenuation...

as for line input - all you need is a amplifier - some vcas can do this, veils for example - but most can't

maybe you could post a link to the rack?

Hi,
Is there any reason not to use send/return module as line level input/output ?
As far as, in my case, is not needed the use of both of the two to three fonctions simultaneously, it can merge them in 4 or 6hp.

Why not ?

Hi,
Is there any reason not to use send/return module as line level input/output ?
As far as, in my case, is not needed the use of both of the two to three fonctions simultaneously, it can merge them in 4 or 6hp and that can solve space in the rack.

Why not ?

the main thing you will learn from this is that 2hp modules (with tall trimmers instead of proper pots) suck in terms of ergonomics - eurorack is small enough already - go for bigger modules - unless they are set and forget or don't need any controls - and don't put them next to each other unless you really hate yourself...

Case: buy a tiptop mantis - it is by far the best combination or size/price/manufacturer reputation/decent power supply

Biggest thing missing from a starter perspective is a way to play melodic content - you don't have a pitch sequencer or midi->cv module - decide which you want to use and how many voices you think you might ultimately want - then get something based up on that - this way you will not have to learn and relearn different modules every time you need to upgrade

iirc the 921B requires a 921A module to work - but I wouldn't buy this I'd buy a doepfer basic vco instead - also an inexpensive brand - but without the bad taste

the endorphin.es running order covers euclidean sequencing so the 2hp euclid is superfluous

I wouldn't recommend buying anything in modular with the intention of replacing it with something better in the future - it's a false economy... as is buying too small a case! (see above)

See my signature for a rough guide on how to build a versatile modular synthesizer for the least outlay

there's no rough guide here - other than the collective wisdom of the forum members - there are in other places (modwiggler 1u & 3u subforum stickies for example) - great for general principles

read as many other newbie threads as you can before spending money - probably a couple of dozen will be a good start...

Hi,

I recently joined the Unicorn ranks and I thought I had read somewhere that you can move rows around? I've just built up a large case and would like swap some of the rows around. Is this possible?

Cheers!

Hello World!
I have decided to begin my Eurorack journey and wanted to ask for your suggestions on my initial rack. I have played on a MicroKorg before so I think I get the general picture. This rack was meant to be mainly a learning platform for myself, that would still hold some potential of creating music more involving than the beep-boop-beep. My main questions to you are:

• Am I missing something important here? (maybe an extra filter/ sequencer??)
  • What case would you recommend - power supply etc. (I want to have about 50% space for future expansion)
  • Is there a best-practice general introductory thread on the forum?

Thread: Marketplace

is it possible to limit people from re-listing the same module multiple times? there are 2 people abusing the system and re-listing black panel erbe-verb multiple times, almost every day.
-- scanner_darkly

Then what you need to do is, when you find a freshly-posted duplicate module that's not had a lot of (or any) users including it in builds, is to go in and start replacing the main headers with "DUPLICATE" and "Please Delete". Mind you, this should only be done when the duplicate is new so that you don't cause holes to appear in others' builds; don't report/relabel dupes that have been around for some time.

-- Lugia

i meant people posting sale ads multiple times for the same module - not adding a module multiple times.

Anyone having issues with unstable pitch or pitch out of tune?
-- atom29

I do sometimes feel like mine gets slightly out of tune, though it's close enough that I often can't really tell. According to the manual you should be able to recalibrate it by holding down the shift button while powering it up, but I've not tried it yet. Probably will once I tear down the patch I've got up right now just to try it out. I also notice that sometimes the module likes to boot up with the slew rate much higher than it was when I saved it last. That can make it sound like it's pretty out of tune depending on the patch.

I own several of the Austin Ribbon pads, but this is very cool. Thanks for posting it.
-- Vow3ll

You're welcome! As I say in the vid, I'm certainly not trying to reduce Austin's business, he makes a great product. And I am certainly not going into the business of making these for a living
But he doesn't ship worldwide (I've been told) so good to have options.

Ever built one of his mic kits? I did his mic, a pretty strightforward build except for working with the super-thin ribbon material itself. And the sound (since it was my first one) is kinda grungy, but is cool for mic'ing a guitar amp to get an interesting distorted sound.
Two part video of the build here;

(Austin ribbon mic build)[]

I'd say the same as @farkas and probably wouldn't do it with modular... I'd just "scribble" all over it with modular though!

that have the usual spring-type shock absorption, but that would make the tubes less "showy".
-- Lugia

I understand, when I build a guitar amp the customer usually wants the tubes to glow out the back.
For that I use the "bare" spring retainers like this. Usually just on the output tubes (6V6s and such) since they're the showiest, but they make them in AX7 size also.

tube retainer

On first listen, this sounds to me like a heavily filtered polysynth (or string machine?) and sampled piano with a lot of reverb. You might be able to get close with running an inexpensive poly or ROMpler through something like QPAS and Mimeophon. Curious how others might approach it.

I want to get an idea of how people think about patching and go about making something similar to this. How many synth voices would you use? What would you modulate? How would you control that modulation? What modules might you think essential to achieve the end result?

https://open.spotify.com/album/2l8OjMwlL7qklDoJLhAT4S?si=nAr0Zqs6QXK9IzTy7OS6Vw

1) position of pasted module

On the other hand, if MG drops modules into the "soonest" open and properly-sized slot, you know where they are.

In my case i pasted a 1 HP spacer module 6 times in a huge rack that has been 95% full with modules
it took me several minutes to locate where those have been pasted and move it to the desired position

also the moving of those tiny modules in a huge zoomed out window is very hard to achieve. And the moving wouldn't be necessary at all when it had been pasted in the right place.

So generally i agree but this does not apply to tiny modules in huge racks
Imagine you have a huge rack where you paste > 100 modules
100 times * no need to locate&move module after pasting = lot of time saved

3) links to deleted racks

Uh...do you realize how much storage space that would take up on the server?

yes - very little

rack-id | user-id | deleted
  123   |   456   |    1

so when clicking on a rack-link for example found in the signation of a post in the modwiggler forum
modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/123
you get invalid rack

it would be dead easy to add a link to this page
see all racks of user 456 in case user 456 currently has any public racks
sorry for beeing not clear enough...

Have you checked to see if you've put the quantizer into the wrong scale mode? Microtonal scales can seem to be "out of tune", but they're not.
-- Lugia

That is not the reason, there is no microtonale scale.

Not bad, not bad...that's what I was thinking as well: some sort of "shock absorber" at the base, which is where you'll have the largest transfer of energy when the cab gets bonked around.

As for the removal of the "dummy tube", you might try a bit of lithium grease around the base of it before pouring in the rubber material. It would be easier if the tubes one encounters in Eurorack had "chimneys" that have the usual spring-type shock absorption, but that would make the tubes less "showy".

and even the hottest-running ones won't foobar that.... "shock-absorb" tubes, which is always an issue when doing high-volume gigs (raves and the like).

That could work. Some things to address;
Heat dissipation. As well as being resistant to high temp, it also insulates very well, so you would have an issue with the tubes being able to dissipate heat.
It's also very adherent, so changing tubes would be an issue.

Though as I write that, I can see making a tight-fitting collar around the base of the tube.

Shape a circular piece of plastic about 2cm tall about 4 mm in radius wider than the tube socket, affix it to the board. That will have the rubber go maybe 1/4 of the way up the tube sides, which should leave plenty of glass surface area for heat loss.
Put a dummy/old/dead tube in the socket. Pour the rubber mixture inside the plastic circle, it would adhere to the board and the base of the tube. Pull out the dummy tube (which would be a chore), then put the working tube into the tight collar of rubber.
Lots of shock cushioning and very unlikely to work loose.

Since I haven't gigged live in waaaayyyy more decades than I care to admit, not useful for me, but someone might want to give it a try.

Very often, the "hiss" comes from the source, at my place bc I often use saturation or overdriven signals, that is where I use enveloped VCA just before the mixer's inputs
-- -ADR-

Which is pretty much standard op procedure for performance mixer that have no VCAs over level, such as the MixBX, Cosmix, etc. This is one reason that I've been jazzed about Toppobrillo's MiniMix, because you can use some other VCA module as a "pre-level" going into the mixer ins, and then you also get the convenience of its two VCA panners. You just have to keep in mind that audio signals are best dealt with via exponential VCAs, as those are better at mimicking how acoustic devices decay. Of course, if you front-end this with linear VCAs, you can (if possible) use an exponential envelope generator to make those behave like they need to for audio.

I will buy Them assembled and want 1 mono and 1 stereo so that means i need 2 douts?

-- Broken-Form

yes 1 for the mono (with enough space for another mono channels) and 1 for the stereo

Have you checked to see if you've put the quantizer into the wrong scale mode? Microtonal scales can seem to be "out of tune", but they're not.

1) position of pasted module
currently the pasted module is pasted on the next free space on the very top left.
it would be very useful when you track a click event and place it exactly there after pasting.
this would be especially helpful when rearranging a large rack from scratch with 2 browser windows.

On the other hand, if MG drops modules into the "soonest" open and properly-sized slot, you know where they are.

3) links to deleted racks
its totally fine to get a 404 when trying to view a deleted rack.
but it would be nice to have all users public racks as a fallback

-- modular01

Uh...do you realize how much storage space that would take up on the server? I mean, hell, MG's right on the edge of having 10,000 module listings in Eurorack alone.

I keep a rule of thumb of 6 months since creation or last modification as a line between "keep" and "delete". That's long enough for anyone who needs to go over them or copy them. Besides, right around NAMM, Knobcon, and Superbooth you typically see surges in new modules, and some of the older builds can have "superseded modules" when those big product intro shows happen.

Thread: Marketplace

is it possible to limit people from re-listing the same module multiple times? there are 2 people abusing the system and re-listing black panel erbe-verb multiple times, almost every day.
-- scanner_darkly

Then what you need to do is, when you find a freshly-posted duplicate module that's not had a lot of (or any) users including it in builds, is to go in and start replacing the main headers with "DUPLICATE" and "Please Delete". Mind you, this should only be done when the duplicate is new so that you don't cause holes to appear in others' builds; don't report/relabel dupes that have been around for some time.

500+ degree rubber? Ok, that's intriguing...you could use something like that to stabilize components, and even the hottest-running ones won't foobar that. That could make it even more useful for using it to "shock-absorb" tubes, which is always an issue when doing high-volume gigs (raves and the like).

Oddly enough, the one PCB holder that I prefer is actually a cheap RatShack POS. For some odd reason, this crummy 3rd hand has never wound up in my "I need to replace this" list...because it works, it's simple, and it does what the box says. Tried the expensive ones, things like edge-clamped stands, etc...nothing worked as smoothly and fit my soldering workflow like that cheap little piece of crap.