this user has left ModularGrid

Get a larger case. You also want more utility modules.

Wow the Twin Waves looks incredible! Definitely seems like i'll have much more fun with that than with the MCO + quantizer, thanks for the suggestion! Switching those out.

For Zadar, I thought it was a good fit because I'd be missing an envelope generator, lfo, or both if I use all of Stages for sequencing and s+h. If I need a noise source I could use a noise shape lfo as well. Although I guess Zadar, Maths and Stages all overlap a bit too much.

The ProK BD bass drum module. One of four drum mods based on the same circuit board and panel, just different IC programming, so seeing one shows you how all will go together.
C.K. builds a ProK BD module

I think you're on the right track. Stages seems like a large bite to chew for your first rack, but if you really want cv control over each step then it might be your best option in a small case.

Zadar seems overkill. I would imagine you will always have at least one or two unused outputs. Also, if you plan on using it at audio rates to modulate mco, then why not go with something designed to run at audio rates? Twin waves seems like a better option. The lfo modes are great and vco modes have a built in quantizer. Now that I think about it, just ditch MCO all together for twin waves, and then you could lose the pico quant as well. The quantizer on twin waves doesn't respond to trigs, rather it just continuously confines your sequence to a scale, so if you went that route maybe you would want to add a 2hp sample+hold to be able to achieve sustain. Or maybe you could just use stages in such a way where the s+h isn't necessary.

Hope this helps.

The main idea stemmed from wanting a melodic sequencer where I can choose certain steps and modulate them over time. Say, a 3 note sequence where I use a cv input on the lowest note to make a changing bass voice, whilst the two upper voices stay constant. That's where I thought Stages would be great, I can choose the sequence length, and for each stage I have the option for cv input.

The Steppy I thought was a good fit to trigger both the Stages and Zadar, even being able to keep some sort of arrangement going with the 64 sequence length.

I feel with the Zadar being able to oscillate at audible rates (even though I read the pitch tracking isn't great) I could still feed it into the MCO for some interesting tones.

A Mimetic Digitalis sequencer would work well in this set-up. They are great for stepped CV modulation. It would work nicely with your Pam's.
-- Ronin1973

Thanks for the suggestion. I typically use the MB2s for sequencing, but I'd love to add more onboard ability to lesson my reliance on the tabletop units, particularly if they are good for playing live. With the Pam's and the A138m, that might be a great combo for complex weirdness.

I really like batumi and poti, but I'd be tempted to also consider zadar and nin - which can provide some very long complex modulation, which can easily be attenuated to mix with other modulation sources in the matrix mixer... I'd probably go with this and start saving for the next case - to put the other modules in - another very interesting module I'd probably look at is the Xaoc Samara ii - which has an interesting clamp function...

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your feedback. I've been torn between the Batumi and Zadar for quite a while, but since they keep being out of stock, I've been stuck in Xaoc limbo for both. We'll see which is in stock first, but definitely think I'm going to end up with both eventually, once a new case arrives. I hadn't looked at the Samara ii yet, that one seems quite useful, might be a good fit.

a good habit when you get a case is to charge rack space (ie save the cost of the hp for the module in a piggy bank or savings account) - by the time the case is full there'll be enough cash for the next case...
-- JimHowell1970

That's a great idea, thanks!

A Mimetic Digitalis sequencer would work well in this set-up. They are great for stepped CV modulation. It would work nicely with your Pam's.

13hp is an awkward number of hp to be left with...

all the modules you mention would be good - it's mostly a case of fitting them in...

batumi and poti would fill your 13hp nicely... as would toolbox and rnd step (leaving 3hp over)

if you want the functionality of toolbox then this is one to go for as the last batch of them should be in stores now...

but... Pams should be able to cover the random into sample and hold functionality, as should (iirc) O&C with hemispheres...

I really like batumi and poti, but I'd be tempted to also consider zadar and nin - which can provide some very long complex modulation, which can easily be attenuated to mix with other modulation sources in the matrix mixer... I'd probably go with this and start saving for the next case - to put the other modules in - another very interesting module I'd probably look at is the Xaoc Samara ii - which has an interesting clamp function...

a good habit when you get a case is to charge rack space (ie save the cost of the hp for the module in a piggy bank or savings account) - by the time the case is full there'll be enough cash for the next case...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Duplicate, already exists here https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vpme-de-qd-quad-drum-voice

I've been slowly piecing together this 6U rack with a goal of making an instrument that can function alone for generative music, but also supplement the Minibrute 2s when I want a more hands-on, guided session. I've got 13hp left, and I'm curious what feedback y'all would have for this? Obviously, the correct answer is a bigger rack, but that's gonna have to wait for a bit, unfortunately. I'm currently thinking along the lines of the Xaoc Batumi, WMD/SSF Toolbox, or DivKid/SSF RND sample and hold for the last piece.

Are there things I've overlooked or skimped on?
Any suggestions for organization and signal flow (particularly if it results in more usable space)?
Anything you would replace?

Thanks!

Fantastic! Really nice music from that patch.

This is my second recording with the classic Todd Barton Krell patch. Again, huge thanks and acknowledgement to JD Cramer for his most excellent recent tutorial series "Krellberg Variations" on YouTube.

This is a patch I got going that follows that series up to part nine (with some of my own twists). I have the primary Krell function coming out of Maths and driving VCAs for Brenso and DPO, and EOC driving Strum on Rings (2.5 krells) - lots of modulation of the oscillators and filters, and all in stereo. The Maths EOC is providing the click that advances the Stochastic Inspiration Generator which is feeding three different sets of 1v/o CV data to the three OSCs. I have another Krell function from Quadrax (making it 3.5) that is driving the VCA for Plaits running in Formant OSC mode. That EOC from the Qx Expander is advancing a sequence in Rene 2. Yes, I removed the S&H+Quantizers from the patch completely. Using sequencers to get pitch info I can exert more control over the notes but still retain some randomness, especially with SIG. Looking forward to more. Cheers!

Thread: Change Log

Used Price History

We have a nice chart on offers in the marketplace that shows the price development of the module and the average price asked for the module. It's not the price the module is sold for so it is not super precise but it gives sellers and buyers an idea. The chart only shows up if data is available of course.

This is an exclusive feature for Unicorn users.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

It's good that you have a local manufacturer that you can support and get advice from, but unfortunate that you still don't have the main components of your system. The shortages affecting them are worldwide, and even in the US, there is a fair amount of frustration over availability.

I think that each of your three possibilities is valid, but they are all quite different, and it's not going to be easy to choose between them (probably impossible for us, but even difficult for you). It's hard to know how to expand or augment a system when you don't have any experience with it to know what you might feel is lacking.

I also understand that this is a purchasing opportunity that you may not have again for a while. One way out of the bind could be to try to get some modules on this trip that you could start using immediately on returning home. That rules out (2). You could combine (1) and (3), by getting Pam's, a sample player, and something "tactile" (and, depending on budget, something more to support those). You could get some experience with those, and they would not be rendered superfluous by the Lizard system arriving.

Hi everyone,

I see some names that were really helpful with the new eurorack users, seeking that I will try to extract some good info if it's possible.

Keep in mind I'm just posting now with not much knowledge because I manage to re-book a trip to the USA (it was cancelled due to covid in May 2020), so I have 1 month to decide what to buy.

I'm from South America, so it's really hard to find and buy modules (just to note, the biggest social media marketplace for eurorack modules in my country has 400 people). Happily, we have locally a great builder and engineer, Vinicius from Vinicius elektric - https://viniciuselectrik.com/, and I ordered a Lizard system and some extra modules with him. Unfortunately, he had some problems and delayed almost 8 months (I didn't receive yet). I'm just with the Clock divider, Expert sleepers ES-9 and the eurorack level to line level converter (to plug my guitar).

I'm playing with VCV RACK for one year now, it's great, but it's too easy to over do the modules by the lack of limitations, so I don't feel comfortable to decide alone the new stuff.

Some modules from Vinicius weren't available, so I traded for a "similar": Level Fixit (mine will have a 4 channel attenuinverter), nw2sm (a simple multi), ADDAC200PI (the eurorack to line level for instruments) and RING (to be honest Vinicius insisted that this will be worth, and I don't really know the HP size and all the feature's haha).

From what I understand, I have a really solid voice, great modulation possibilities with the LFO and others, some white noise and plenty of possibilities to sequence and process with the ES9. I don't have any problem to be in front of the pc or use it to make music, to be honest I enjoy too. The question is, where to go from here... I feel that I have 3 alternatives:
1) I really enjoy random triggered sample sound, white noises, drums, crazy tempos most focused on percussion sounds. But I don't really know if it's possible in such small frame. Maybe a Pamela's new workout with a sample loader.
2) Advance the 1 great voice that I have with more utilities and modulations.
3) Get some "tactile" modules to play, some hands on action would be really cool. Kind of use a fraction of it to "perform" live.

I feel bad to post such a vague post, but I just can't handle the overload of possibilities to buy in the USA, how the hell you people decide with such a crazy amount of stuff hahaha

I'm looking for help not to choose the modules but if the options I described are valid, which one is the most logical and possible one... if nothing is correct in your view, maybe give a hint to where should I look for.

My budget, it's between $1.000 to +/-$1.500.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules_racks/data_sheet/1861530
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1861530.jpg

Thread: Get ZAQed!

Hi Lugia, All,

Well the 2600 (Blue Marvin) I got it now, very happy with it as I mentioned already elsewhere in this forum. Now I just got to know that the BCR32 is likely going to be produced. It's just a matter of a few more years now... ;-) But it seems to be coming.

I can't wait for having the BCR32 tested at my local dealer! :-D

Kind regards, Garfield.

P.S.: Don't tell me you got the BCR32 already in your studio and you were one of the first ones? ;-)

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Modulargrid,

That's great, thanks a lot for that! :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks TumeniKnobs!

Endorphin.es are wonderful very unique sound and approach to modular. A bit unconventional controls too as well and funky labels like Make Noise. I usually record audio to DAW via audio interface or to my 1010 Music Bluebox. Since this was a quick and dirty live session, I did not think of it but can record to it next time and split audio from video. I do send the modular output to my 16 channel Mackie mixer. Using the mult hex devices works great to reach long distances between the modular and mixer.

and thanks @farkas I'm finding a kick made with a ADSR has more scope for sound shaping thought the simple decay on the Patching Panda Punch works well enough.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Just keep the percussion in another rack like I am.... I'm sure that will help how far down the rabbit hole you go! ;-)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Very nice! Getting some Underworld vibes from this.

Vortices is a very cool mixer. Sounds great here (and your kick sound too). I was scoping out Vortices for a long time, but ultimately picked up a Strymon Deco pedal for a similar tape saturation sound.

I've been resisting drums in the rack, but there are a ton of cool percussive sounds in this noodle. I think see another rabbit hole... :-)

Thread: MODSEA031322

Build for https://www.modularseattle.com Modular Nights 03/13/2022
The 1u blank houses the WMD MSCL compressor sideways and the 14hp blank is for performance notes.
This performance also includes an Analog Rytm MkII which handles drums, samples, final-stage mix/compression, and acts as the main clock source (with DIN sync into Pam's).
Patch: https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/patches/modulargrid_90045.jpg

[https://mebitek.bandcamp.com/track/landing-to-vega]

Breakbeat track
Landing to Vega, the bright star
let the journey begins

produced with custom modular system ModularGrid Rack
except some #maschine additions
mastered with #ableton #live and #izotope #ozone

Electronic music/video producer and composer.
Dark Ambient Cinematic atmospheres from Sardinia.

@modulargrid - thank you!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Sacguy! Always love watching your videos, and this tour of the smaller systems integrating is great. That Endorphines system does look very cool. Also glad to see you active over at ModWiggler. Have you tried recording the audio direct, as opposed to through the open mic. I feel like I am missing a lot of the nuance of the great modules you are highlighting here. Is all your stuff going into one central mixer? Cheers!

Forum: buffer texts

If users are idle for too long, they will be kicked out of the system. This is especially annoying if they were in the process of writing long texts in the forum, because they might lose all their well thought out thoughts.

Now text in the forum forms will be continuously buffered to the local storage of your browser.
This should survive page reloads as well as a logout, meaning if you are kicked out just log in, hit Reply again and your texts hopefully will still be there.

thanks jim for the suggestion! i will give it a thought, but i think space issue within the case will be an issue :)

hey, garfield! super thanks for your thorough reply!!! I own a Ritual Flexibilité already, I know of them and like it :) I'll check out the Altar, and the rest! cheers

I would've loved a Quad in/out Offset with Scale-module. would be a little tight. but i got tiny fingers :D

I wrote a really long reply, but when I was to submit I had been kicked off. UGH

Sorry for that! I have now uploaded a patch that will continuously buffer the text to the local storage of your browser.
This should survive page reloads as well as a logout, meaning if you are kicked out just log in, hit Reply again and your long texts hopefully will still be there.

Something a bit more uptempo this time, I just love running a keyboard through Ears to distort a bit and then into Mimeophon, having ears envelope follower control the feedback, so whenever I play I get sustained notes if the delay time is on the shorter zones... what's your favourite moment?

Patch Notes:

Voices:
- Studiologic Numa Compact 2x amped by Ears through Mimeophon, is playing chords and melodies.
- Eowave titan into ST Werner and Takkab LPG doing 2 syncopated basslines bassline,
- Calsynth Rangoon is doing the counter melody, controlled by SIG.
- Ensemble oscillator through Bizarre Jezebel Pkhia, controlled by Doboz XIIO.

Drums:
- Instruo Ts-l through Takaab LPG as bass drum
- Blue and White Noise from through Patching Panda Punch v3 as high-hat and snare.
- Erica Pico Drums through Dreadbox Splash as snare.

Modulation:
- Clank Chaos as clock divider and random CV generator, sequencing most drums and bassline.
- Mutable Instruments Stages as envelope generator and LFOs
- Instruo Ochd as LFOs

Utilities:
- MIAx3 as attenuation, mixer, offset.
- Super Vcas as vca, inverter, mixer and sidechain.
- joeSeggiola's Nearness as panning sub-mixer.
- Cosmotronic Cosmix as mixer, using Mimeophon as send effect.
- Music Thing Startup as mixer and clock generator and divider.

I started building this around my Moog Matriarch. Initially I just was interested in expanding the Matriarch’s capacity, but then I realized the rack is more of a hub that could function on its own or with various external gear (drums, guitar, additional keyboards, guitar pedals, etc).

Fun cross patching my smaller systems

Hi Diego,

How about an Intellijel 1U Dual VCA at 8 HP?
Or a passive LPG 1U module from Intellijel at 6 HP?

Some more modules from Intellijel at 10 HP or less: 1U FSR, 1U Headphones, 1U Line In, 1U Line Out, 1U Pedal I/O Jacks, 1U Stereo Line In Jacks, 1U Stere Out, 1U Stere Out Jacks, 1U USB Power, 1U XY IO or 1U µMIDI Jacks.

Then there are 1U modules from Mosaic (those 10 HP or less): 1U Clock, 1U Line Input, 1U Line Output, 1U Sample/Hold or 1U Tap.

Also Ritual Electronics has 1U modules that fits your 10 HP requirement: 1U - Flexibilité (audio interface), 1U - Krach (noise) and 1U - Pointeuse (switch). This guy from Ritual Electronics is completely a cool guy, I met him at the Superbooth back in 2021. He makes some real interesting modules. Check out that Altar filter module, wow! That filter can make some real great noise :-)

Ah yes, Shakmat Modular also has two 1U modules: Tessitura Tailor and Time Apprentice (clock divider).

Bad luck with the VoicAS modules they are 12 HP :-(

Anyway, I think that should be enough choice to keep you going, right? ;-) Good luck with filling up that 10 HP 1U gap, have fun with it and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Hi Sacguy71,

Ha, ha, sounds you guys had a lot of fun there! :-D

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Reinalter,

Besides the comments of Jim, I have another point to consider (actually a lot but then this is going to be a very long feedback, so I shorten this a bit).

Why would you need 3 ALM Pamelas? Wouldn't be one enough and if those 8 outputs are not sufficient then use multiples and clock dividers (and multipliers) instead of 3 the same Pamelas? If you must insist on more than one clocking unit (why?) then consider as a second module the combination of Make Noise - Tempo and Shakmat Modular - Time Wizard a great pair of modules that go very well together.

Please check the basic synthesizer setup of: 2 (or more) oscillators, noise generator, mixer, two (or more) filters, envelopes, LFOs, VCAs, some utility modules to keep Jim happy (just joking Jim), perhaps a ring modulator as well. Start with a bit more basic modules and functionality and then expend where needed. An audio interface (as in a module that exports (and imports) Eurorack levels to Line levels) wouldn't harm either for a setup like this. Vermona Tai-4 (XLR) is a great module for that purpose or Intellijel - Audio I/O (jacks) another good example.

From the look from your rack, I have a bit the feeling that you "suffer" from the nice sexy looking modules syndrome ;-) It's nice to have a few sexy modules but better to start with the basics first.

Perhaps the main advice could be that you should start with a few modules first, gain experience with those and adjust your opinion about future planned modules and see what's the next little batch of modules you might want to add to your existing modules, again gain experience, etcetera...

The very good thing I observe is that you straight away take a monster rack or going towards that, that's good :-) But please keep some free space reserved for future needs/plans/etcetera.

Good luck with the planning and once you get into it (or did you bought everything already?), have fun with it :-) Kind regards, Garfield Modular.

I'm not convinced you do see...

synthesis with modules, as opposed to modular synthesis

not just utilities, although they are a big part, but also basic building block modules... a simple analogue vco etc etc

but yeah could do with load of utilities - everything from switches (manual and sequential) to matrix mixers, to attenuvereters,,, and everything in between - but which and how many of these you need is up to you - once you start with patching some in you might not be able to stop...

Ok..i see..i think i need more mults, what do you think? Which sort of utilitys ? Thx

duplicate, already exists here:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/after-later-audio-utides-v2

Thread: RECVLVM 2022

Designed for the RECVLVM 2022 weekend jam April 29-May 2, in Santa Cruz, CA.
Already racked up, but still tweaking the arrangement a bit, and i've yet to build the STMix.
Left side is 12U of RackBrute and right side is 9U of Moog Skiffs with a Mother-32 bolted to the top.
Not visible in this rendering are the DFAM and TR-6S that sit below eveything and raq the qaṣba.
Designed for jamming with the band but also planning a couple late night solo performances.

Thanks Jim for taking the time to reply and for the chill advice.

NP

I think I will just chill for a bit. There's tonnes of depth with the modules I have and I'm always learning something new about them. I have a favourite module every other day and this often has me thinking that it would now be p[laced somewhere else on the rack. So yeah I think I'll leave well alone for a bit.

Im finding the disting to be a bit of a pain and I'm not really using it. If I decide to swap it out I'll have 5 hp spare. What would be the most useful module for the size in your opinion?

use the favourites and reduce the number of algos you try to use - it really helps...

I dislike odd hp modules - 5hp is a pain to fill - maybe something from bastl - the cinnamon is supposed to be a nice filter

I'm optimistically taking your lack of criticism as a good sign btw ;)

Cheers again Jim

hahaha - no I just disguised the criticism - see the "learn the power of utilities" paragraph! & I didn't see that abomination of a b-company module!

Thanks Jim for taking the time to reply and for the chill advice.

I think I will just chill for a bit. There's tonnes of depth with the modules I have and I'm always learning something new about them. I have a favourite module every other day and this often has me thinking that it would now be p[laced somewhere else on the rack. So yeah I think I'll leave well alone for a bit.

Im finding the disting to be a bit of a pain and I'm not really using it. If I decide to swap it out I'll have 5 hp spare. What would be the most useful module for the size in your opinion?

I'm optimistically taking your lack of criticism as a good sign btw ;)

Cheers again Jim

Browsing the forums I am impressed with the knowledge that many members here possess and would really love to here any opinions of what I have built so far.

I'm pretty happy with the modules that I have included but I wonder if there is anything that I have missed which limit the potential of my system.

learn the power of utility modules - they massively add versatility for not so much cash - you'll probably want another row at least just for these though...

I'm also looking for advice on how best to organise the modules for efficiency. I have reorganised the case a few times now and it has definitely improved things. I have found myself patching away and getting completely absorbed in what I'm doing and then when I step back and look at my nest of cables it can be difficult to see what the hell is going on.

there's no formula for this and many many thousands of posts discussing the finer points of module arrangement... the only real answer is: what works for you, works for you... with a small case and few modules such as yours it's not that big a deal... perhaps slightly longer cables and some cable ties, or velcro strips would help... maybe thinner cables... maybe just don't worry about it...

you could get a blank panel and drill it - you may need to wire all the panel furniture and mount the pcb somewhere in the case...

it's very synthesis with modules...

hello, enjoy modular grid.

Im not sure if this exists but it would be great to have a section on the site for "latest modules" or "Newest Modules"
or add a filter to the module finder for year created.

thx
-- tunnelsurf

it already exists, order by: Newest...

Just to note: as an owner of this module, it doesn't entirely mute but rather reduces the volume of the signal. If the signal is loud you will still hear the input signal, albeit at a reduced volume.
-- furusato
thanks, very good to know.

hello, enjoy modular grid.

Im not sure if this exists but it would be great to have a section on the site for "latest modules" or "Newest Modules"
or add a filter to the module finder for year created.

thx

Mmmm... Rich creamery butter!