Hi Gumbo23,

He, he, did you had some more rain in Bristol? Well, either way, the result is yet again a great track! Nice ambient and sci-fi kind of jam. You managed to get quite a few nice and interesting sounds built-in there, great to listen at!

I don't mind to hear more from your Modular Cyberpunk series :-) Thank you very much for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Sacguy71,

Happy Halloween! :-) Ha, ha, funny module that Cat Nip, didn't know about that one! Pity we can't buy it here at a German dealer, at least not that I am aware of it. Can't even find it here on modulargrid.net! Did you got it from a local shop? Pity to hear it's sold out!

You write here and in your video that it's 2 HP, are you sure, isn't it 4 HP?

Thanks a lot for this funny jam and nice demo of the Cat Nip and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

this user has left ModularGrid

Lugia is 100x correct. I would get the new Tiptop Buchla modules over Verbos and save money. Plus lot of issues on reliability and lack of customer support from what I've heard with Verbos. My next build will have tiptop buchla and random source Serge modules. Just like a real Porsche, there is no substitute for the real thing.

A celebration of the legend that is Syd Mead.

Patch notes: Odessa and TšL running through Panharmonium then Desmodus Versio, modulated by Batumi. Plaits through Wave Swarm and into Typhoon. All sequencing by Usta.

Mutable Instruments Beads, Rings and Plaits are my favorites with Plaits.

Interested in hearing whats your favorite modules for maling textures Are?

And not meaning revers and delay modules

BUT ONLY Eurorack Modules.

Right now im just using a 2hp play module loaded with my own samples

But what is out there thats interesting and dont cost an arm and a leg.

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Thank you so much for the feedback and support @Sweelinck. This really means a lot.
You bring up a great point about the sense of place coming through in our music, whether intentionally or not. Our musical heroes are just a small part of what influences our artistry, and as much as I love the music of Berlin, Manchester, NYC, or Rio de Janeiro, I will only be able to authentically express what it sounds like to be in this Midwestern place. There are two pioneering Ohio electronic/synth-punk bands (Devo and Brainiac) that I always thought sounded so out of place for the landscape and culture of Ohio, but I realize as I'm getting older that they are exactly what Ohio sounds like.
Again, thanks for taking the time to listen and respond. Hopefully, the next time I share something I will have my ideas fleshed out a bit more. I really love this idea of capturing the local environment and "zeitgeist". :)

Fun jam today with my new 2HP Cat modules

Hi Mowse,

Nice little track this is! Pity that it isn't a bit longer, I wouldn't mind a 10 minute version of it :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

thanks!! :)

hi, yes, it does!

Hi quick question, if the module is receiving different not lengths from say an Octatrack would it output different pulse widths (gate durations) on the gate outputs? cheers

Congratulations Farkas!
This is a great track and thanks for sharing it.

This piece is quite satisfactory as it is here.
Yes, why not introduce some drums... eventually...
But by adopting an opposite and more minimalist approach, one could also imagine concentrating on the essential. Perhaps wishing to minimize the introduction and conclusion pads (with for example an Eq a little more tightened towards the mediums, a volume just a bit less high, even a very light bit crushing).

The main sequence is very charismatic in itself! This is the main character, the hero, the one on whom all the attention is going to be focused, and therefore the light and the contrasts can be further maximized. This is all very subjective, of course.

This sequence has a beautiful dynamic, a full and almost carnal sound, a dense and silky grain (there is deep black, then all the nuances... until flashes of light; the AJH Vcos ?). The whole is carried by balanced melodic variations, with neither too many nor too few gaps (in my opinion). This sequence is neither too repetitive, nor too scattered. Like a life form with its own coherence, like the wandering of a black bear, with its distanced, disillusioned, but powerful and wild look.

The more distant or external sounds that surround it remain in their proper proportion, like a slight reaction of the environment that does not interfere with the freedom of movement and expression of the main role. A living environment that knows how to remain discreet. Music is an ecosystem.

The sequence is also the 'Unique Artistic Proposition' (in analogy with the USP of marketing, 'Unique Selling Proposition'). It is the one that triggers the adoption, the favor for the track. Her departure at 11:25 is a success: surprise, the animal has disappeared... we are left alone in its natural environment, and it has run away.

BTW, it's interesting to mention the Berlin influences in this track. But if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to say loud and clear that this music (like most of your work) is ‘Ohio School’, or ‘Erie School’, as you like :))

You're American (ok, Ohio, Midwest), but Germans (or French like me) can't be in your place. Nor the other way around. Globalization hasn't gone that far yet... thankfully. I feel more the vast spaces of North America (and maybe the Appalachian region) than the streets of Berlin in this track.

I'm currently enjoying Johno Wells' work a lot, for example : he's so Southern California... and among the giants: Kraftwerk, so German, and Pierre Henry, Eliane Radiguet or Jean-michel Jarre, so French.

You, you are yourself. And it's perfect like that.
So, long live the Ohio School!

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

DFAM was my first purchase when I got back into making music a few years ago. It's definitely a fun, quick, groovy idea machine though a bit limited when it comes to traditional drum sounds. I ended up selling it to fund a polysynth, but recently realized that I've been subconsciously rebuilding it much more expensively in my rack. Haha
I'd say it's a modern classic if you aren't hoping for 808/909 sounds and workflow.

DFAM is really cool and can do more than just drums. It’s really a complete stand alone synth voice that is modular.

Curiously, no one mentions Dfam. It's an amazing machine, solo or in conjunction with a modular.
Here, a performance among dozens of others on YT.

-- Sweelinck

My son just got a DFAM so I might have to give it a try sometime when he is not using it.

JB

;-)

Chiming in to note, the Mimeophon really is a wonderful module, adds depth and character to just about anything, here's probably my favorite thing so far with it:

thanks for all the ideas above guys!

An update, I recently ordered:
-- SSF Tryptich (3in1 box)
-- Xaoc Sarajewo (BBD)
-- Xaoc Minsk (M/S & stereo field)

I think these will be great adds for me for:
-- dirty up and manipulate the sound (SSF)
-- slick BBD (Sarajewo)
-- stereo and M/S manipulation, particularly interesting for combination with my AJH Wave Swarm for doing unison stack spread type setups

BTW the SSF box and Minsk are pretty new and I think worth a close look if you don't know it already. AND there is a big sale going on at Perfect Circuit with some very sharp prices.

I'll keep reviewing the notes above for other ideas. IMO getting a send/return loop set up for going to stomp boxes is probably my next priority.

Thanks everyone!!

stackables or passive mults would likely work fine for you in this situation.

Your original oscillator, you would mult that if you want a copy to send to a mixer to be able to mix the original sound in with the generated subs.
-- nickgreenberg
Right now my main osc is E352 that has 2 outputs.and right now my only mult is the one in links .so maybe i Will have to test with stackcables.

Also read that alm chalkboard can be used as a bufferen mult.so might have to test that out too

Thread: Drum Skiff

I recently pulled out most of my drum/rhythm modules out of my rack to free up some space, and put them in this 64hp 4ms skiff. I think it came together pretty well and is a easy to transport fun little rhythm machine. It needs a clock in and I have to have some triggers off the main rack to get full use of everything at once, but it gets pretty chaotic with everything blasting at once. What do you think?

ModularGrid Rack

Your original oscillator, you would mult that if you want a copy to send to a mixer to be able to mix the original sound in with the generated subs.

Thanks for checking it out Garfield.

Maths is an extremely versatile and capable module, the size of it is its only downfall. In a small system like this every HP counts. In the end it is your system and if you already have the modules and they are accomplishing the tasks you want, keep going and have some fun with it!

glad this helped -- hope you got the sound you were looking for!
-- nickgreenberg

Came to Thing abort it i forgot to do the mult Thing.i use sism to do the offset.should i do the mult aften sism?

It's a cool looking module, but I already own a Maths and was looking forward to really digging into it! Plus in terms of modulation, it can accomplish what I need it to do, it's a pretty important part of this build!

I would suggest replacing Maths with a Schlappi Engineering Boundary. It can do most of what a Maths can do in an easier to use and smaller form factor. That would free up 8HP which opens you up to a lot of options.

Thanks! Good suggestions, I actually really like the changes you made here. Will look into that!

+1 on DFAM and I recently bought one and love it. For my mobile modular rig my plan is to use my Make Noise Shared System once it arrives with DFAM and 1010 Music Bluebox mixer/recorder. That will be all that is needed for live jams and sessions at clubs for me and not hard to carry around.

Agree 100% and Mutable Instruments are some of my favorite modules. Marbles is great fun and powerful. I love feeding Plaits into Beads into Rings to Marbles for amazing sound palette. Emilie is a genius creator and really supports the modular community with passion.

Mutable Instruments modules are going to be viewed as "classics" in future decades.
-- Lugia

So true, I’m Eurorack world we are blessed with many great designers and their innovations, but Emilie is on a whole other level, be it with her designs (I’m a big big fan of Marbles) but also her contributions to the community, empowering others to become great - what a lovely person !

--- Voltage control all the things ---

@Ziqal Personally I'm ok with no gate outputs anywhere. It's up to the user to mult the MIDI (this sometimes works with a TRS split cable) via an external device or even using a few of the available MIDI mult modules available. That would allow the user to plug to a MIDI-to-CV module and use the gates from there. Additionally, some MIDI-to-CV modules (I'm thinking of Flame) have MIDI Thru, so that would also work just fine. So, for me, SYNC input as TRS MIDI Input would suffice.

That being said, if you allow for a 2hp expander as you suggest, would the MIDI connection happen via pins the back? That would be ideal, as that would allow for modules that have their MIDI outputs as pins in the back to connect directly to the ZIQAL with no cables, which is always nice.

Finally, if you want to avoid redesigning the PCB to add expanders, I can suggest a simple workaround. Use SYNC for MIDI IN, and set an option so that one of the L/R outputs sends a gate when incoming MIDI messages are received. That would be an option for the user that doesn't have a way to get gates otherwise (although I do believe that's up to the user to handle, this is an oscillator you're offering, it's not your responsibility to handle the MIDI-to-gate, in my opinion)

PP.

Thanks Lugia! I will do that and look for the Blip expander for Radar. Expanded functions great stuff. I did splurge on a Make Noise Shared System this week as I’ve wanted one and most of the modules for a long time and these were out of stock. Promises loads of fun. Use Wogglebug with random cv should be great and Maths.

In a very small build as this, it's important that EVERYTHING have an actual function. As such, I would suggest deleting the o-scope tile and replacing it with a 2 hp blank and an Intellijel VCO 1U so that you can have at least one dedicated LFO to use alongside the Maths. I also pulled the headphone preamp and the mono reverb so that you can have a stereo FX processor that does more than just reverb. Other than that, congrats! You managed to create a build that CORRECTLY utilizes the space in a small cab. And this looks like...
ModularGrid Rack

One immediate thing I'd suggest: reverse the positions of the VC8 and RADAR, and then add the RADAR's BLIP expander to the left of the RADAR. The BLIP module can make the RADAR do a lot of interesting things, such as sequenced envelopes, etc. Very worthwhile!

Heh...managed to beat the original price by $500 with this:
ModularGrid Rack
Voicing's on the top, modulation/control on the bottom.

Top row: The AXON1 expands the Salmple with four more assignable CV ins. I also put a Doepfer stereo mixer for summing the individual outs into a single stereo out. Changed the oscillator to the real deal: a Buchla/TipTop 258t...which saved a TON of room! After that is a bitcrushing ring mod from Recovery, then a Veils provides four VCAs for controlling source amplitudes. Blades is after that, followed by a dual VCA for controlling amplitudes off of the Blades or Beads. The output mixer is a stereo-only affair from Happy Nerding, allowing you to sum up to four stereo signals, which seemed like a good choice here. No output stage, though; I wanted to put that Befaco back in, but space limitations put a stop to that, so just make sure to attenuate the HN's output so that you don't hit your mixer with synth-level signals.

Bottom row: Pam's, Nanorand, Cold Mac, then a quad LFO. After that, you've got Maths, then a Frap 321 for modulation summing and manipulation. This is paired with another Doepfer dual VCA. Then I put in a Quadrax + its Qx expander for complex signals...since you can use the EOR and EOF triggers to cascade the EGs, or you can use the Qx's outs to fire other processes in the build. Then there's a basic dual ADSR for your VCF (or VCA...depends on what you're up to). After that is the chiptune source and I've directly paired that to the Data Bender for maximum glitchy, weird results. Again, this also feeds to the HN Stereo Mixer.

This actually turned out better than I thought it might. Some of the modules just didn't fit, but thus far only one of those was significant, and that was the Optomix. The rest of them are either your specs or they do what your specs did, albeit in a smaller space...and this left space open for more functionality. Then things were added so that what's there can really cut loose. However, you should definitely think about Ronin's ideas for the sampler...either going slightly bigger (might be difficult) or smaller (MUCH better) could be useful here.

Great suggestions guys, thanks! CFL looks like a best option so far. Appreciate your ideas!

Nono is super-expensive, you bet! When I looked at the listings there, they have some cases like the CFL ones...albeit for twice the price! Plus, with Nono, you don't have the ability to spec out custom builds like Case From Lake does, even though they use the same sort of Meanwell P/Ss that CFL can put in.

I don't see the point of the extra expense, frankly. And you can go to over 104 hp (up to 168), spec power output, add tile rows, and so on with CFL.

Love all of that stuff. Coincidentally, I was listening to Ashra's "Correlations" album on the way to work this morning.

Fantastic. Just ordered it. Along with Ladik's probability skipper and attenuverter modules! So affordable I had to grab up a few.

Thank again guys super appreciate the help!

Hmm...you're missing a couple of other Berlin schoolers...

First up has got to be Manuel Gottsching, who began with the VERY trippy band Ash Ra Tempel and then went on to create a major part of the early template for techno (ie: "E2-E4"). Hands down, 100% recommended.

Then there's the SPIKY Berliner, Conrad Schnitzler. He was more aligned with the grittier, proto-industrial side of things, which shouldn't be a surprise as he was on the first TD album, and the first few Kluster albums ("K Cluster", basically...they changed the first letter to the more anglicized "C" after Schnitzler left). But for a serious dive into his work, grab the several "Funktion" albums, all of which are titled by different colors ("Funktion Gelb", "Funktion Blau", etc).

And the last I would recommend in that style has got to be Popol Vuh's first two albums, "Affenstunde" and "In den Garten Pharos". After those landmark electronic-based albums, Florian Fricke gradually shifted to acoustic instruments but continued to make brilliant music along the same lines as previously...just minus the electronics. Fricke technically isn't Berlin school, as Popol Vuh was based out of Munich (along with the Amon Duul groups, which Fricke drew on for later Popol Vuh lineups).

There's more...a dive into Bureau B's catalog is a great way to tackle the various different Krautrock flavors: http://www.bureau-b.com/

Hi Cmb_,

Nice video with interesting and nice video effects! Interesting experimental music you are providing us here. Would be pretty nice for film music :-)

Thank you very much for sharing with us and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Mowse,

Oh yeah! Nice chilling :-) Some nice sequences and a great track overall, I wouldn't mind to hear more from this kind of music. Nice relaxed yet intriguing!

Thank you very much for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

@toodee thanks. I have 8 VCAs in VC8 module, PLOG for logic module, Hikari Quad sequential switch and Livestock Electronics Maze matrix mixer for these things. Are you saying to get more of these things? I rarely use VCAs in patches or logic modules.

You're welcome. I did a bunch of research on clock sync a month ago. The DIN vs MIDI and what accepts those was a point I hadn't nailed down. So I was hoping to learn about options & tech on this point also.

Ladik http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=7 is EU based, I think Czech Republic, and I think 1 guy or mainly one guy. I've never needed to contact them; don't know how responsive a small shop like that can be.

The M221 unit, looks to me like it is expecting clock in at 1/4 rate, and it gives outputs at 1/4 rate and subdivisions of that. So the 1/4 out is your 1:1 clock out option. BIG plus is the M221 has start/stop & other CV outputs which would be a great help to link everything to a single set of controls.

Thanks to @plgrade, Jim and Lugia for adding clarity on this somewhat obscure topic.

Good luck!

Well, if this is to be a self-contained rack, my immediate reaction to this build would be that I need more ways to mess with modulation: VCA's, logic modules, some random, sequential switches etc, basically any way to animate the sound creation modules you already have... As a practical example, a matrix mixer would really shine in the current build IMO

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Dang guys, Thanks so much for the good information! Really appreciate it. What a great community here!
Yeah, I already ordered some of the midi to trs just to see.. but they don't work (as we found out). Ill try to get my hands on a Ladik from the website. that was actually my original solution but I couldn't find one for sale. Ill give em a ring.

One last quick one..Does the Ladik's M-221 give you actual clock speed (coming in from midi) or just divisions of it? It would seem strange to not have the actual clock speed but from the looks of it I cant tell?

Thanks again folks. Greatly appreciated.

Idea for the system is to have modulation options for arps/leads to use in Ableton tracks I write. The goal is to have useable, clean ideas that I can drive or affect before committing to tape. Pretty fun system so far!

Good call on the 1010 Music bit box and black box. I ordered the Bluebox for mixing recording modular with my synths and will see how well that works out with my Make Noise Shared System, DFAM and Elektron Octatrack.