I own a Mort's Barge by LA67. Best monstrous sounding synth I own. To celebrate this nice synthesizer I have put together for you a mini version of it using the same type modules by different manufacturers. It is very flexible although it doesn't look like it. :)

In reply to Jim:

Haha I wouldn't say "happy" is the right word :)

well don't buy modules that don't make you happy - wait a while and find the ones that do and buy them instead!!!

Haha yes indeed! To clarify, I think the Neutron seems pretty awesome! It's kind of angry (though I've heard nice flowy things with it too) and my other things don't quite have that kind of anger. It's more B's questionable ethics. One can kinda dance around that some given that the Neutron was built by the synth folks that B acquired? I'm personally not bothered by B making clones of old synths where the patents expired (tons of VSTs do this after all). But there's been a few blatant ripoffs of current products that give me pause. I know some question the quality but I've never had a B piece of equipment go bad on me personally and I've used several, though in terms of quality, there have to be some concessions. One thing I know for at least some synths is the copious use of surface-mount parts - so not easy to repair.

hahaha - the manual is good - but the illustrated supplement is BETTER
Yeah this plus the other panel I found really helped me figure out a lot more about how it works, and yeah I see why it's very popular! Mutable's Stages also caught my eye while looking at Maths as well. Not the same thing but neat to see how flexible some of these modules can really be.

it's a pleasure to help - especially when it's so well appreciated!
Yes indeed so very much appreciated! Really helped me figure out things and avoid some mistakes!

In reply to Lugia:

OK, I looked at the most recent iteration of this, and figured I could do better. After all, those B. 100M modules are honkin' big, and there's definitely ways to make better use of the cab space by adding more functionality by scaling some module sizes back. This take actually includes ALL of the functions you had...and a few new wrinkles.
ModularGrid Rack
Hoo boy...

My goodness that is a work of art! Thank you so much! I had no idea some of those modules were even a thing! The S&H in particular I was having a hard time with as I couldn't find one (other than the large B) with built in noise. Heck I even looked at Doepfer so not sure how I missed that!

Explanation is wonderful too! Thank you! I'll have to slowly make my way through all those. So much cool stuff in there, thanks for running through it all too! That power 1HP thing is super neat and I didn't think about ground lift but yeah that could end up being really helpful (especially if I end up putting it opposite my current synths and conventional rack). Such a really cool thing for you to do! I couldn't help but share that with the Mrs but, of course, she asked "how much" and I showed here the price and she just laughed and walked away haha so....well I might have to build that thing over time surely :)

Thanks to you both! Really looking forward to it all!

Thread: 3.5mm MIDI.

I haven't but I do believe MIDI is indeed TTL (5V). This sorta thing kinda reminds me of the PC tracker days when someone (myself included) would load up say config.sys as a wave file and use that to make music :) Could be really neat to try! One thing you will want to consider is that at least DIN MIDI connections use opto-isolators to prevent damage and that might be something you may want to look at (or perhaps use say a cheap USB to MIDI device). It probably won't break anything but I'd be worth taking a look at those circuits. There's several Arduino MIDI boards and things so it should be an easy circuit to track down.

Before you fill a module full of stacked cables, think about how much torque you'd apply if you accidentally bumped that stack with your elbow. I'm thinking of getting some short male to female cables to lesson the worry. I tend to limit my stacks to just one piggy back. Stackables have taps at both ends, so you can split at the output and the input. Anything more than that, I reach for a proper passive splitter (Intellijel makes nice ones with magnetic backs). I'll only split gates and triggers. Anything that's going to note pitch, I put through an active mult.

Thread: 3.5mm MIDI.

You can get MIDI on a 3.5mm plug and lookie here... my modules are covered in 3.5mm jacks that aren't labeled MIDI. From what I've been looking up, MIDI transmits at 3.5V to 5V through the port... doesn't it? I'm asking.

I'm thinking it's an audio rate square signal that bursts on note on and note off, if you're sending other data, like CC, or pressure, I'm sure it's continuous. Anyone messed around with this?

OK, I looked at the most recent iteration of this, and figured I could do better. After all, those B. 100M modules are honkin' big, and there's definitely ways to make better use of the cab space by adding more functionality by scaling some module sizes back. This take actually includes ALL of the functions you had...and a few new wrinkles.
ModularGrid Rack
Hoo boy...

Top row: A Konstant Labs PWRchekr is first...this lets you keep an eye on your DC rail performance. After that, I dropped in a Doepfer A-119 so that you not only have an external input, that input can also send envelope curves and gates generated by the incoming audio. Then the Plaits, as before...but all of the rest of the VCOs got yanked in deference to a pair of Klavis Twin Waves' present version. This is because the Twin Waves not only has two VCOs under the same panel, it can internally quantize incoming CVs. They're a little more akin to complex VCOs than just plain-jane single VCOs. And for more oscillator fun, I added a Joranalogue Fold 6 so further CV-able waveform mangling can be done. Then you've got a Veils for four VCAs to control oscillator and external audio levels prior to the filters. As for those, yep, there's a pair of SSM clones...albeit 2 hp smaller each. But next is something much more crazed...WMD's SCLPL, which is a five-band resonant stereo equalizer which also has the ability to morph between user-definable presets, of which there's nine. Then you've got Omsonic's Universal Panner, which gives you six inputs with unity gain and user-controllable spatialization. Then, now that your signal is in stereo, there's a Happy Nerding FX Aid XL...same Spin FV-1 chip as the Erica, but way smaller. Then out of that is your stereo out via a Happy Nerding Isolator, which can help a lot with noise and ground-loop issues, gives you a ganged stereo level control, and puts a pair of transformers into the audio path at the end. This means you can hit that module a little harder, and you'll get some nice transformer saturation to warm the sound up even more.

Bottom row: Your MIDI interface, followed by a buffered mult for splitting pitch CV to your VCOs. Since there's five of these now, adding this was a countermeasure against voltage sag. Next, your noise, random, and sample and hold, plus a track and hold function if desired. Then there's a pair of Voltatone LFOs with full CV control and a few other tricks, and this is followed by the usefulness that IS Maths. Following the Maths, you've got a 3xVCA from Happy Nerding and a 4ms SISM, which is a complex module for various sorts of modulation mixing and alterations. Then the EGs...Intellijel's Quadrax/Qx offers four loopable or cascadeable AR envelopes...another one of those ridiculously useful mod sources. And last, a Doepfer dual ADSR with some voltage control tricks as well.

Now, this really hits home. By eliminating the oversized B. modules and multi-functioning some aspects, you still have what you had, PLUS more. Much more controllable, too. The big drawback is the price, which has gone up by $1300...but you definitely get what you pay for with these improvements.

I've been tied up with work since August, but I have started a new project. Definitely (and probably obviously) inspired by Tangerine Dream/Froese/Schulze kind of stuff. This one is still a work in progress, but thought I'd share as-is.
Gear: AJH VCOs, Doepfer SEM, QPAS, 4ms DLD, SynthTech E352, Lo-Fi Junky, Milky Way, Data Bender, Prophet Rev2, Behringer VC340, Warm Audio Jet Phaser, guitar, etc.
I thought there were some kind of trippy headphone moments in this one. A friend of mine may add some drums eventually.
Thanks for listening! Hope you enjoy. No worries if you don't dig it.

...and Bandcamp if that's your thing:

@gumbo23 this is a pretty crazy journey, thanks for sharing, I might just have to get a Panharmonium one of these days...

well don't buy modules that don't make you happy - wait a while and find the ones that do and buy them instead!!!

Doh! Sorry about the link! I thought the JPG might be easier since I messed up the rack link last time. Here's the MG link:

ModularGrid Rack

That's mostly me just playing around with patching and trying to think about where I might want to take things. It's not what I would start with.

that's better - it really helps us help you to see the actual rack - remember there's over 9k of eurorack modules these days - no one knows all of them...

Fair point about Maths too. I took another look at it this morning and it does pack a ton into a single module with a lot of flexibility. Solves my "I need more LFOs, oh except when I need an envelope, oh except I really need a VCA/mixer..." problem in one module, plus other crazy things. I intentionally opted not to change the layout in the link above but I think I'll mess around with what maths can replace in a copy of the above and go from there. It looks like there might be an emulation or something similar enough to Maths in VCV that might help me "get it" a bit more.

Also turns out, duh, I was just reading the manual! I thought that's what you meant but the supplement, and duh, I feel silly now. I found the actual one and yes, that helps A LOT!

hahaha - the manual is good - but the illustrated supplement is BETTER

Thanks again Jim! You've been really helpful along my newbie modular journey!
-- m00dawg

it's a pleasure to help - especially when it's so well appreciated!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Trying something a little more melodic and structured, making pop is a lot harder than I would've thought...

Editing to add another take of this track, a bit more together and pop-y

Made with:
ModularGrid Rack

Notes:
1) Why didn't anyone tell me about ADSR modules before??
2) Falistri continues to earn its due
3) When you only have one filter and want to use it for your bass, subtle FM can add some nice life to your lead
4) Akemie's Castle really is a pretty wonderful module

Hope you all enjoy!

A meeting of my favorite TV show and my new favorite eurorack module. Hopefully this demo gives the Panharmonium-curious a sense of the possibilities, the flexibility and the fun of this module.

On the note of the suppliment for those that have run into this post wondering about maths, I found it at the following:

https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93901
https://w2.mat.ucsb.edu/mat276n/resources/systems/CREATE_teachingSynth/manuals/8c_Maths2013-V1.11-printable.pdf

I believe the first one is the original source though the download link is a MediaFire one so if anyone had any qualms about that, the second link is a direct download. The original post has a black background version which I find easier to read though so that's probably the best place to go get it.

EDIT: Oh and here's an alternative panel for folks that might want something a little easier to read. I'm blind as a bat so while I like the aesthetic of the original panel, this one easier on the eyes for me:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/grayscale-maths-v2-grayscale-black-panel

There are a few variants and it's about $25 from grayscale.info.

Doh! Sorry about the link! I thought the JPG might be easier since I messed up the rack link last time. Here's the MG link:

ModularGrid Rack

That's mostly me just playing around with patching and trying to think about where I might want to take things. It's not what I would start with.

Fair point about Maths too. I took another look at it this morning and it does pack a ton into a single module with a lot of flexibility. Solves my "I need more LFOs, oh except when I need an envelope, oh except I really need a VCA/mixer..." problem in one module, plus other crazy things. I intentionally opted not to change the layout in the link above but I think I'll mess around with what maths can replace in a copy of the above and go from there. It looks like there might be an emulation or something similar enough to Maths in VCV that might help me "get it" a bit more.

Also turns out, duh, I was just reading the manual! I thought that's what you meant but the supplement, and duh, I feel silly now. I found the actual one and yes, that helps A LOT!

Thanks again Jim! You've been really helpful along my newbie modular journey!

The day when oil prices will be discussed here, it will be necessary to think about changing the name of the site...
@ANTONIVS nice rack, even if the weather gets a little bad ;)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Thanks @GarfieldModular. Sinofonion is one I've stayed away from for a few reasons. But I wasn't aware of the chaotic detune function on that. I'll take a closer look.
-- nickgreenberg

the sinfonion is a fantastic module, but to make the most of it you 4 or 5 sequencer channels, split over 2 sequencers modules - unless you can find a single sequencer with the ability to clock the channels separately, and a quite a few voices etc

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Please post a link to the actual public rack (the url) and NOT a jpg... help us help you!!!

If you are happy giving your money to the b-company, then go ahead...

the biggest problem with buying something like the neutron is that you don't get to choose exactly what you want and if you want to swap say the filter for something else, then you can't just pull the filter and replace it as easily

as for Maths - I would go for it now - I didn't buy Maths to start with and it took me about 6-7 months to get round to buying it, but I wish I'd bought it in the first group of modules I bought - and worked my way through the 'maths illustrated supplement' a good few times - as it's the best learning resource for patching, especially thinking about patching, there is

@nickgreenberg I agree +1000

I grew up studying violin in the Suzuki method. At some point there was a quote framed in our house from Dr. Suzuki: “If a musician wants to become a fine artist, he must first become a finer person.” Maybe that’s true, maybe it’s not, but I’d like to think there’s something to it.

At the end of the day, if music isn’t about a shared experience of beauty or love, what good is it?

This thread above makes me sad… well parts of it at least. I wanted to pour some sugar on y’all. Thanks to all the people on MG who’ve helped me.

The original rack above looks pretty badass. I hope something great comes out of it.

Hmm so I may have taken a bit of a pivot. I'm about to say the B word :) But this got long, so the I'll put the TLDR at the top. There's some hate for Behringer ("Bearinjure", after all) some definitely justified, some not. But the Neutron. That thing looks pretty cool as a way to get into all this since I could use it with a Eurorack (though I read here about how much that actually costs in HP and will likely not put it in a Eurorack case). So what are folks' thoughts about it here? I dug around and it seemed it's fairly well received despite being from that one company.

The long bit that's unnecessary but is an update to my Eurorack thoughts:

Originally when the Neutron came out I had written it off - I don't know why. But after going pretty crazy with figuring out where I want to go with the rack, I noticed the Neutron has a lot of compelling things built-in that I was trying to sort through (like ENVs, VCAs, VCOs, etc.) while balancing my SSM2044 and effect ideas.

I still definitely want to do all that - particularly because having stereo VCFs seems compelling, at least for the MBSID as it produces some stereo effects (due to not perfectly matched SIDs and things, which I find useful) and some of the other stereo effects (like Black Hole) seem quite useful. But I ended up going maybe a tad off the rails :) Mostly trying to figure out where I want to go beyond the 2044's and ended up with this:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/image/1710868.jpg

Of note I tried to avoid the B 100 modules but I was having some trouble finding things in a form factor I liked at least for something more "conventional". On that note, notice there is no Maths here - I don't think I'm ready for that :) though my band mate seemed to really enjoy the concept when I showed him what it was. I am excited, oddly, about Plaits and similar modules though, which kinda surprised me as I've been on a big analog kick the last few years, but Plaits can do interesting things I don't think I can do with my existing hardware synths, along with all the modulation possibilities. I also liked Erica Synths' PICO VCO since it could double as an LFO and I was finding I kept wanting to mix LFOs into things while playing around with patches.

Anyways while doing all that, I rediscovered Neutron. And now that I kinda have a clue about how all this stuff works, it looks compelling. It has a lot of the things I was trying to put together (filter, BBD, distortion) to use for the SID and other things but has some pretty crazy VCOs with it and could be a base to work from when I build the actual EuroRack as it has a lot of the base modules I would need and would let me be a bit more incremental. Only downside is lack of a stereo filter but this could give me a good taste of how well I'll get along with routing my MBSID (or other things) through an external filter. The Neutron does have a filter that seems like it could fit the SIDs' already gritty sound too. The MIDI support seems a bit lacking but a gate and using the assign to the modwheel or some such can let me trigger the filter and do some programmatic modulation along with clock sync. Not nearly as complete as Mutant Brain (that thing seems sooooo darn flexible) but I think enough to get me what I want. I kinda wonder what the Prophet '08 might sound like through that crazy filter too!

I am really sorry for making statements out of lack of knowledge if it is the case. But, I have to make things clear, there is people like me, who doesn't care who makes the product. if kids are dying in the making process I don't care. They are no my children, and most likely I won't care either way.

Unfortunately, yes, there are many more people like you who have so little self-respect that they don't care who they give their hard earned cash to

If the quality of the products or the customer service is questionable is important to me, that is the things I want to know and I appreciate it a lot. That is why I like this forum. I agree with it; but if the owner or some employee of certain companies are rapist or killers in their personal live, I don't care. I am not a hypocrite, I don't feel for them, so I won't simulate it.
-- Hikove

I'd also note that in general the quality of products and customer service from these companies is also poor - not going to cite anything - googling will find examples in minutes

A better idea for a rename might be "4U-bananas only". Sure, it sounds silly, but if you're going to dive into an expensive format, "bananas" is a spot-on fit! And then, "4U-Buchla format" for the modules in 4U that use the dual-path typical of Buchla systems.

Okay, so I ordered AJH Wave Swarm. Will let you know if this is great IMO or not.

In the meantime if there are further ideas (in addition to what's already above) I would be interested to hear!

Thanks, NG

I am really sorry for making statements out of lack of knowledge if it is the case. But, I have to make things clear, there is people like me, who doesn't care who makes the product. if kids are dying in the making process I don't care. They are no my children, and most likely I won't care either way.

As we can express everything on this forum because is free to do it, I will.

If the quality of the products or the customer service is questionable is important to me, that is the things I want to know and I appreciate it a lot. That is why I like this forum. I agree with it; but if the owner or some employee of certain companies are rapist or killers in their personal live, I don't care. I am not a hypocrite, I don't feel for them, so I won't simulate it.

BUT, I got the point!!!! I was trying to make my idea most important than the other opinions, and it was my mistake, I am sorry for it, and it won't happen again. All of you are right in their own way.

If I don't want to read about stupid human hypocrite topics on SNES, I just must get away for it and not try to do anything that will means losing my time.

I appreciate all of your info regarding hardware and modular rack, but I don't use any SNES to keep away for the illness spreading the human kind. Someone said awareness? BS, you don't even know what awareness means. Just another fish of the ocean.

So, by all means, I just want to say "Thank you" to all you for your help on hardware relating the modular business.

Thread: Patch #1

The low groove is coming from Belgrad's self feedback oscillator modulated by Dfam, high groove is coming from Crucible.

The main modulation source is Moog Dfam shown as below:
VCA EG out -> Belgrad Reso
VCF EG out -> Belgrad !V Oct
VCO1 out -> VCF Decay

Pitch out -> Crucible Velocity
VCO2 out -> Crucible Decay
Trigger out -> EDGE

Main control:
Belgrad LL and LB mode, cutoff from 7 clock - 10 clock is the sweet spot
Dfam: VCF decay, and VCA Decay

By special request. More dub!

New jam with my new favorite modules!

I'm not especially familiar or experienced with the "Serge" format, but would some sort of compromise or transition period be useful? Say you change the "Serge" universe to be labelled as "4U (Serge)" or "4U (formerly Serge)" or "4U (FKA Serge)", and then perhaps later on change it to simply "4U" once users have become accustomed to seeing it presented that way? Or name it something new entirely like "FKAS", short for "formerly known as Serge"? Just some ideas.

I don't plan on expanding forever...
-- JimHowell1970

Hm. Yeah. Right. We all know you're just as hooked as the rest of us.

-- Lugia

ok ok I plan on significantly slowing down expansion... says he seriously considering spending another £1800 on 4 more modules and some DIY stuff (including another new power supply) and with a chromagnon still on pre-order! but after that it may just be some of those tiptop/buchla modules - but will need to get a job before that!

It's not about the forum, we don't have different forums for different formats. It's about the module catalogue and the planner.

We’re not discussing changes to MG’s organizational menus, correct?

We are. It was requested to rename the Serge modular section (we call universe). If I understand that right the Serge guy is not happy to have other 4U modules listed under Serge format and vice versa 4U manufacturers don't want to be listed under Serge.
E.g. the system selector top left navigation will have removed the entry Serge and exchanged with 4U.
Buchla will still have it's own entry because of the different width and they way the MG planner works.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

I don’t see the issue. It’s only about categorizing sub-fora, right? It hardly makes a difference at all.
We’re not discussing changes to MG’s organizational menus, correct? Can someone link me to what is being discussed? I don’t hang here often (I get enough on MW) but use Der Grid a lot. I couldn’t find a Serge-focused sub-forum.

There’s no true Euro voltage standard and all of that stuff is lumped together in one sub-forum.

this user has left ModularGrid

Exactly I started with a modest Doepfer A100 Basic system 6u setup and quickly grew to a near full 12u Doepfer monster base and case plus a full MDLR 12u case with dozens of modules a year later. I’ve come now to a good stopping point to focus on my setup and will only buy a module on rare occasions now. Part is to allow myself to master what I have and part is due to being a new home owner with mortgage payments, property taxes and home repairs. Still all good since my studio space is larger and no sound limits.

I don't plan on expanding forever...
-- JimHowell1970

Hm. Yeah. Right. We all know you're just as hooked as the rest of us.

+1, Jim. The Mutable stuff seems to me to fit into that "no-coast" zone...you can use it for typical subtractive synthesis, then in the next patch you can wander off into West Coast FM craziness. Control modules range from perfectly straightforward to pretty bonkers. Hands down, Mutable Instruments modules are going to be viewed as "classics" in future decades.

Actually, this seems like a potential problem. Even though they're both 4U format, Buchla and Serge are NOT ALIKE. They have different methods of powering, the Serge uses a single "plane" of control and audio signals while the Buchlas have their audio and control paths separated and with rather different levels (save for the Eurorack versions, according to Tiptop), and they don't exactly have the same "space unit" size. The issue is sort of similar to the already-resolved 5U systems, where the MOTM format and the "MU" format have different widths even though they're similar, or how Eurorack and FracRack can talk to each other (as a rule) while they're not the same height and same power requirement, ergo no Frac modules in a Euro cab...although older Paia 2700 and 4700 series modules ALSO use the same split plane as Buchlas.

This is actually a problem that's about as old as modular synthesizers themselves. Over the years, there's been a LOT of different module formats...E-Mu had one, Wavemakers had one, then there's the ARP 2500 which requires the matrix switches along with the modules, and that list goes on and on and ON. Plus, loads of these synths would NOT play nice with each other. For example, you have EML's patchable systems, they take 1/4" patchcords, everything seems right...until you plug in a pitch CV and discover that wonderful EML CV standard of 1.2V/8va. If you don't like microtonality, don't DO THAT.

I would love more options for filtering out modules from the search results.
-- jgb

Actually, that seems like a fairly good idea...perhaps these could be configured as filters within the user settings...? They'd be a total mess to implement in the selection menus, but if you know what you DON'T want ahead of time, having them as user settings seems like something relatively basic and simple to implement.

"Simple to implement" according to someone who uses test gear side-by-side with the latest revision of Ableton, that is!

The O&C isn't that menu-divey. Once you've selected a mode of operation, everything for that mode is on one page. The length of the menu might expand if you select certain features (like using a ADSR envelope rathe than a gate). But it's fairly simple to use.

neither are turing machines or distings

turing machine is pretty simple generate a string of random stepped voltages that are loopable - you almost always want a quantizer after it if you want 'musical'

disting is also quite simple - there's just a lot of it - it's just select algorithm and the knobs and i/o change but nto that much and it's pretty easy to get your head around especially if you set up favourites (a text file on an sd card) so that you are not trying every mode and having to read the manual all the time

As far as the turing machine, having a module that can send control voltage (like a Befaco Attenuverter or an Intellijel Quadratt) are nice for having better real time control of the Turing settings.

-- Ronin1973

@Ronin1973 hnmm - something wrong here did you mean scale and not send?

-- JimHowell1970

No. Check out this Voltage Control Lab tutorial... around the 2:15 mark explaining what I mean. In the video, they use Maths channels 2 and 3 as real time controls. Of course you can use any CV source, automated or manual.

I've got rings, plaits, both tides, clouds, streams, stages, branches, links, kinks, Marbles, an original veils, 2 diy veils, 3 diy shades, 2 diy shelves, 2 diy ripples and a few more diy ones in the backlog including elements, frames and a second branches

they are incredibly versatile modules - I've had everything from ambient bells, through heavy metal guitars, to organs from Rings alone - it's really quite impressive what you can do with them - and Emilie is fantastic - excellent customer support!!!

... hmm, okay, so maybe I just flat don't understand Disting/O&C modules yet. I'll take a closer look.

The description of Turing as "string of random stepped, and loopable" makes a lot of sense.

Thanks!

The O&C isn't that menu-divey. Once you've selected a mode of operation, everything for that mode is on one page. The length of the menu might expand if you select certain features (like using a ADSR envelope rathe than a gate). But it's fairly simple to use.

neither are turing machines or distings

turing machine is pretty simple generate a string of random stepped voltages that are loopable - you almost always want a quantizer after it if you want 'musical'

disting is also quite simple - there's just a lot of it - it's just select algorithm and the knobs and i/o change but nto that much and it's pretty easy to get your head around especially if you set up favourites (a text file on an sd card) so that you are not trying every mode and having to read the manual all the time

As far as the turing machine, having a module that can send control voltage (like a Befaco Attenuverter or an Intellijel Quadratt) are nice for having better real time control of the Turing settings.

-- Ronin1973

@Ronin1973 hnmm - something wrong here did you mean scale and not send?

@Ronin1973 that's a good suggestion. I've stayed away from Turing Machine type models mainly because I don't understand them, either as a module, or in terms of potential musical use cases.

O&C comes up very recommended over and over. I've stayed away from that one and Distings because multi-use, menu-divey, extremely deep modules with big manuals are not my "cup of tea" right now. Having gotten into Eurorack in the last 12 months and bought a lot of gear, I still have much to wrap my mind and ears around with the more "basic" modules I own.

I'll need to flag the Turing types, along with O&C and Distings as "maybe future" modules for me to consider going forward, maybe for deep winter here in Minnesota, when an afternoon spent with a manual and a single module is a more agreeable idea.
-- nickgreenberg

@Ronin1973 that's a good suggestion. I've stayed away from Turing Machine type models mainly because I don't understand them, either as modules or in terms of potential musical use cases.

O&C comes up very recommended over and over. I've stayed away from that one and Distings because multi-use, menu-divey, extremely deep modules with big manuals are not my "cup of tea" right now. Having gotten into Eurorack in the last 12 months and bought a lot of gear, I still have much to wrap my mind and ears around with the more "basic" modules I own.

I'll need to flag the Turing types, along with O&C and Distings as "maybe future" modules for me to consider going forward, maybe for deep winter here in Minnesota, when an afternoon spent with a manual and a single module is a more agreeable idea.

I was wondering something similar and, along the way, found this nice perhaps more conventional synthy track (only using Plaits):

I'm mulling over using Plaits in my first eurorack build (also with Veils) since it's such a versatile little bugger it seems. I'd eventually like some regular 'ole VCOs too but since I have some integrated analog synths, my thought was I can sort of use their outputs as VCOs for now and Plaits (and Braids for that matter) just seem so darn useful.

Skimmed again... have you thought of using a Turing Machine? There are a few dedicated Turing modules as well as modules with this mode like Ornament & Crimes. I believe O&C can also quantize outputs making the randomness more musical.

Hi Folks! I haven't been on the site too much recently, but I am looking forward to listening to all the new tracks posted. I've been focusing on learning recently purchased modules (Bloom, Chord v2, and the mighty Doepfer A-151 Sequential Switch), as well as trying new production techniques. I really wanted to take a stab at long form ambient, so I submit this example. It's looooong, but that was the point. It's another installment of my Star Trek dialog manglings. Drop it on in the background or throw on some headphones and zone out. Hope you like it as much as I do. Cheers!

=eabc002fc76c41e3aaaf5099fc05dac3

The core foundation for this is a patch I developed on the M32/Subharmonicon. I then layered on a load of other stuff from the modular and again used Pigments 3 to do the granular treatment on the voice. So much of the work on this version was all about removing stuff I initially layered on, to reduce density and have some ebbing/flowing of sections. It was a lot of fun to work on and I definitely want to do more.

Thanks Kent. I’ve swapped around some patch cables so there are now two mixes on bandcamp.
-- liquidcolor

Sweet!

Will check it out later

Thanks Kent. I’ve swapped around some patch cables so there are now two mixes on bandcamp.

I have 2x Plaits, Warps and Beads. They are polished and professional. Excellently engineered and sound fantastic. A cut above nearly all other manufacturers. I don’t do ambient.

Whatever your userbase is used to, honestly.

One thing to keep in mind is that Buchla is now 3U and 4U.

Posted it on Muffs too because there is a bit more attention. Well, people find it more important to request other features.
For technical reason it would be hard to merge Buchla to 4U.
You think it would be o.k. to have two universes Buchla AND 4U?

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net