ModularGrid Rack

Hey guys, so above is my rack that I have planned and the modules that I started with and actually own are Plaits, Marbles and Beads. My goal is to have a system focused around generative, granular, randomness and ambient.

I'm enjoying what I can do with the 3 modules but I'm looking for what might be a good module to add next, based on the options I have in the link above (or if you have any other recommendations I'm open to that as well!)

I'm leaning towards the quad VCA or qpas for more sound shaping options, but would love to hear what others think. Thanks in advance!

veils, qpas and maths would be my next modules for this and in that order

but kinks has been dicontinued - so if you can get one now get it

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

OK...given that Plaits, Marbles, and Beads are already in-hand, I started with those, then kept filling...
ModularGrid Rack
The thing that bugs me, though, is the cab itself. Generative tends to require MUCH more room in the case, since you need a lot more modules that can work with random and psuedorandom activity. So I stuck with the ambient direction here...

Top row: All audio: 2 x Plaits (because 1 VCO is nice, and 2 VCOs allows detuning, which is even NICER), then Veils for control over which VCO outputs are being routed to the VCF. Went with the QPAS for that, because you can either feed the inputs in stereo (as in, with both Plaits post-VCAs) or mono, since the QPAS can "stereoize". After the QPAS is a dual VCA clone of the Veils VCA to control levels over the post-VCF feed to the Warps. Warps is for even further stereo reprocessing, then you hit the Beads for all of the granular stuff. Last thing there is your stereo output, with a ganged stereo level control.

Bottom row: Not audio, and this is where the space issues start. Pam's, then a Noise Rainbow2 for random signals for various modules to work with. Kinks is after this, and very useful here with its more basic submodules. After that, Maths, then the Shades and a 3x VCA for tampering with modulation behavior and levels. And last, a Quadrax and its Qx expander.

But with the space limitations I've mentioned, there are a LOT of modules that are useful for generative work that simply don't have room here. Various stochastic sequencers, comparators for "reading" mod signals to generate gates, Boolean logic that can, if desired, cause massive changes to the patch behavior, and so on. Fact is, a triple-row cab would make lots more sense here due to this. Without those, well...it's a decent modular for most anything, actually, but you just won't have the space resources for the real generative "meat".

a couple of things to point out here:

plaits is dual mono not stereo - it has 2 outputs, but they are variations not stereo

warps is also not stereo - possibly it is in some modes - it has 2 inputs (carrier and modulator) and 2 outputs (the 'normal' output and a vca'd aux output which appears to be a mix of the input and the output) - again that doesn't make it stereo - just 2 output channels - and I'm not sure how modulating one output of plaits with the other will work in practice - if I had warps i would try

so maybe a better signal path would be both plaits -> veils -> warps -> qpas (for filtering and stereoisation) -> beads (insert more vcas as appropriate)

I'd probably skip the NoiseRainbow2 - kinks has 'noise' and marbles has a random output (Y) - probably enough in this size case

I'd probably also remove the quadrax and expander - I think that Pams and Maths should be enough modulation sources for this size case - but I would want more mixing capabilities - probably a matrix mixer, specifically for mixing modulation sources together - choice is limited by space though! and/or another quad cascading vca (take the dual out and replace?)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Hmmm...it occurs to me that you could also arrive at a "matrix-ish" result with a Frap 321 in place of the Shades. The fit's the same, too. Not a "true" matrix, sure, but it's in the general ballpark.

To pick ONE module to add next...

I would pick a multifunction module: Disting EX, Ornaments & Crime, etc.

A small sequencer would also be nice, like a Noise Engineering Mimitec Digitalis. Search Youtube for Ricky Tinez. He uses one a lot in his small set-up. I'd recommend watching his videos relating to skiff sized set-ups...

Hmmm...it occurs to me that you could also arrive at a "matrix-ish" result with a Frap 321 in place of the Shades. The fit's the same, too. Not a "true" matrix, sure, but it's in the general ballpark.
-- Lugia

isn't it just 3 utility mixers that feed 3 3-way passive mults (that can chain) ? so nothing like a matrix mixer