would recommend dreadbox chromatic over these. Cre8audio modules tend to be cheap quality and are the only modules that I ever had that stopped functioning. Cre8audio tried to blame the 5v rail on my tip top bus board which has been rock solid for everything else even other modules that use 5v.

Expect more of this, btw...I saw some scuttlebutt on YT about a new oscillator from these guys.

Frankly, I'm 100% down...if you said I could have a free VCO, and you offered me a choice between one of their new ones and a Behringer Brains, I'd take the Behringer. At least Uli's stuff tends to be somewhat (to very, actually) reliable; Cre8's modules aren't winning them any big fans in that aspect, and I'd rather have to swallow my pride and question my own ethics rather than having a smoking hole in a rig and a related smoking hole in my wallet.

yes, they send him the modules for free and then he reviews them. I think these people are called 'influencers'. I recall they did the same with the nifty case and modules and after reviewing them he spray painted over their logo and kept the case.

and I'd rather have to swallow my pride and question my own ethics rather than having a smoking hole in a rig and a related smoking hole in my wallet.

@Lugia

These modules are a collaboration with Pittsburgh Modular. I watched Richard Nicol's demo of these modules last night, and I was extremely impressed. For $99, this filter does a lot. And I doubt Richard would put his company's name on the line without extensive testing.

I understand that their initial roll-out of the Chips and Cellz has given plenty of reasons to be skeptical, but I have had both of them in my modular for over a year now and they still work as expected to this day. I don't have any need for the new Cr8/Pittsburgh modules, but I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying them, especially if someone is looking for a low-cost entryway into modular that doesn't involve the controversial and ethical trappings of Behringer's low-cost alternatives.

if someone is looking for a low-cost entryway into modular that doesn't involve the controversial and ethical trappings of Behringer's low-cost alternatives.

At least with Behringer, you are still getting the know how of Moog, Roland, Intellijel and Mutable Instruments in the modules they are putting out. Controversy and ethics aside that's still a better shout than putting your lot in with Cre8audio and a guy who is obviously not making enough money from his own brand. More fool him.

I am ok with big brands like Behringer, I buy through Amazon UK. If the module stops working, I simply raise the issue with Amazon and I have no hassle returns within the 12 month guarantee period.

Also the Doepfer oscillators and filters and better in terms of quality than Cre8audio stuff and as I mentioned before, if you want to go down a cheaper multifunctional route then Dreadbox chromatic modules are excellent. I get that some people don't like big bad Behringer but there are many other low cost alternatives out there. Ladik, takaab etc

If any newbies are reading this, my guess is one day you will want to sell your cre8audio modules and I can tell you right now your resale value will be at best half price. The brands I have mentioned above will resell quickly on the second hand market and generally do ok in terms of holding their value.

My take on this is that if you want both "cheap" and "reliable" modules that have a good rep, you might want to have a look at Noise Reap's stuff. Ugly and functional appearance, but VERY interesting sonic capabilities. The Paradox, for example, is pretty nuts for only $120...it's pretty close to West Coast complex oscillator turf and other things that'll cost dearly, with crossmod FM and VCO self-modulation.

I mean, I don’t exactly disagree with either of you as far as other companies that make great modules. I’m just not exactly ready to write off cre8audio as a manufacturer because their very first 2 modules to hit production were not $300 quality at a $99 pricepoint. Especially since their entire point was to get people “up and running” immediately in a compact, cost-effective package. I doubt longevity is on anyone’s mind who purchases them. It certainly wasn’t an expectation of mine when I first got them. I didn’t expect them to even last this long.

Just seems like an odd take to me. Especially going as far as to speak to the future readers of this thread and steer them away from a module before literally any evidence of their quality is understood, in either direction.

Dreadbox is a great company. My first (and only, now sold) semi-modular was an NYX and it was great.

Noise Reap also. I had the swiss army mixer in my niftycase within a few weeks of getting the Nifty.

I just genuinely don’t understand why you would condemn a product or it’s producer so strongly without any concept as to the actual module in question and whether it represents an improvement in quality, no change, or a degredation. All of which are quite possible, surely.

I think Cre8Audio get a hard time over their stuff…

I fancied playing with modular and with the NiftyBundle I got a case and some OKish modules to start building on for £222

Yes, I'm going to run out of space with only 84hp, and yes I'm going to need to replace Chipz and Cellzs sooner or later but as a place to start it's been great and very cost effective

Just seems like an odd take to me. Especially going as far as to speak to the future readers of this thread and steer them away from a module before literally any evidence of their quality is understood, in either direction.

Just speaking from personal experience of my dealings with them when there were problems with their modules. I quite clearly got the impression that they were preying on my naivety about Eurorack and stated at one point in the discussions that a lighting bolt may have caused a momentary power surge on the 5v rail causing their modules to burn out which is really odd as none of my other modules were affected. They play the clowns as part of their marketing strategy but the reality is that is who they are and its a shame the guy from Pittsburg Modular is associating himself with them. They probably roped him into their scam to improve their credibility factor and its something they are really pushing through the shills on youtube they've recruited.

Others may have had a great experience like Andy and I'm happy for him but I can only base my assessment on first hand dealings with them. Hope that clarifies.

As for the nifty case, I have it and still use it but in hindsight, I think a Moog or Behringer skiff would have been better to create a larger more complete system than what 84hp allows. Behringer have recently been asking for some feedback on their cases and modules in terms of price and competiveness and I reckon we will see a drop in prices for cases in the near future. I recently did some calculations with power and 3 skiffs with brackets and the combined cost wasn't far off an Intellijel pallete or tip top mantis which I fed back to them. Once I can get cheaper Behringer skiffs with power, I will be getting rid of the nifty case.

I am a bit more familiar with Eurorack now given the experience I had. I learnt that companies like Noise Engineering draw power from the 12v rail for any 5v requirements but had the forethought to include a jumper on their module so users can make an informed decision about how power is being consumed. I learnt that Mutable have regulators in their older modules that take care of the 5v requirements and eventually decided to abandon use of the 5v rail altogether. Cre8audio simply didn't make similar design considerations in their modules which I guess is why they have the moniker 'cheap and cheerful'.

@greenfly

I quite clearly got the impression that they were preying on my naivety about Eurorack and stated at one point in the discussions that a lighting bolt may have caused a momentary power surge on the 5v rail causing their modules to burn out which is really odd as none of my other modules were affected.

That def sucks.

They play the clowns as part of their marketing strategy but the reality is that is who they are and its a shame the guy from Pittsburg Modular is associating himself with them. They probably roped him into their scam to improve their credibility factor and its something they are really pushing through the shills on youtube they've recruited.

This feel a bit presumptuous and a little unfair. I will say that I also had issues with my first power board also. Bought it in June of last year. The -12v rail only provided -3v. This was the response I got 1 day later:

Hi [merzky_shoom],

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about this issue.

It sounds like a component on the power supply may have failed or has been damaged. Was this happening from initial purchase or suddenly? If suddenly, please provide a little more detail ie. modules used, describe what happened when it failed, and anything else you think might prove useful.

Regardless, we can quickly send you a replacment board that can easily be installed (a nut and a screw). We will provide video instructions as well.

Please send us your shipping address and answers to the questions above so that we make sure that we're fully treating the issue.

Thanks much!

All the best,

Al

2 days later the board was shipped. I'm sorry to hear that you had a different experience. I did "upgrade" to a Behringer Eurorack GO, and it's good value for sure... but the case is almost full and I'm not 100% confident that it's the most dependable solution for the $4000 worth of modules that are sitting in it. My hope is to properly upgrade my case before end of October.

Not trying to take away from your perspective or personal experience, I've just had a couple of very good customer service experiences with them. The other involving feature requests and what-not.

And at least one of their founders was working with a previous Modular manufacturer before splitting off to create Cre8Audio, so IMO it isn't likely they just popped up out of nowhere and said, "Here's a market we can take advantage of"

Not trying to take away from your perspective or personal experience, I've just had a couple of very good customer service experiences with them. The other involving feature requests and what-not.

It's good they helped you mate, but its yet another example of a product that obviously hadn't gone through a good enough quality control process. None of the above has dissuaded me from re-evaluating my arguments, I would still choose Behringer any day of the week over these cowboys but I guess this is because I have many of their products and to date all of them have been rock solid in terms of functionality and performance for me

Thanks for the chat merzky, its been a pleasure :)

It's good they helped you mate, but its yet another example of a product that obviously hadn't gone through a good enough quality control process.

Yeh, fully aware that my lack of issues may be pot luck, or maybe the result of the QC getting better over time / issues being ironed out

would recommend dreadbox chromatic over these. Cre8audio modules tend to be cheap quality and are the only modules that I ever had that stopped functioning. Cre8audio tried to blame the 5v rail on my tip top bus board which has been rock solid for everything else even other modules that use 5v.

-- greenfly

I read your post. I was looking at the Dreadbox stuff. In comparison, the thing that really turned me off to the Dreadbox VCO is that you can select from only one waveform at a time rather than access to ALL waveforms, which limits the ability to self-patch, or patch unused waveforms as modulation. I found that to be a downer. The Cre8audio VCO is less expensive and offers many more features. I'm leaning towards a wait-and-see posture to see if Cre8audio has upped is quality control.

On a lighter note. I don't like the pastel colors of the Dreadbox line. It's not a deal breaker but I'd want alternate panels and that would up the expense even further.

-- greenfly

I read your post. I was looking at the Dreadbox stuff. In comparison, the thing that really turned me off to the Dreadbox VCO is that you can select from only one waveform at a time rather than access to ALL waveforms, which limits the ability to self-patch, or patch unused waveforms as modulation. I found that to be a downer. The Cre8audio VCO is less expensive and offers many more features. I'm leaning towards a wait-and-see posture to see if Cre8audio has upped is quality control.

On a lighter note. I don't like the pastel colors of the Dreadbox line. It's not a deal breaker but I'd want alternate panels and that would up the expense even further.

-- Ronin1973

yes the colour scheme is a bit daring lol but they don't look as garish in the case as they do on the pictures. I love my pink ataxia and reach for it before maths on most occasions.

you also have a dedicated pulse wave output on the oscillator and the ability to modulate with cv the different wave outputs which can produce interesting shapes and textures dependant on your modulation source, so you are mistaken a bit here Ronin, you could buy two hysteria modules if you want the options you describe.

yes they may have upped their quality (pigs are flying) as for the last year they were probably the only ones through lockdown to be flying back and forth between factories during the pandemic and lockdown restrictions. the previous modules were made in china so they had no real control over the quality process. I know some people online mostly grown adult men over 50 ( mommy- they are destroying my beloved eurorack scene boohoo !!!!) don't like it but Behringer does have this luxury hence for the newbie, Behringer is a better shout any day of the week. I think they just drafted a name that meant something at one time in to buy a perception of quality Ronin but some people are easily swayed by this kind of marketing. I see Pittsburg stuff on eBay all the time. I think meh - a lot of money for something very very old and wonder if this is why the person is now trying to get rid of it.

the modules are too big for the nifty case - hence why I suggested dreadbox which are smaller in hp, multifunctional and hold their price better. I know this now as I have spent a lot of time investing in my modules all predominantly bought second hand. Yes they are pushing the message of 'buy us look how daft and cheap we are' - whereas Behringer always aim to be competitive.

you can buy the (cheap as) chipz and cellz right now on eBay . The sellers keep relisting them as nobody wants to buy them.

those goons over at cre8audio are probably loving all this free publicity :). Behringer also capitalise on this marketing strategy as well. In fact you know what I might switch all my comments over to Behringer modules lol

yes they may have upped their quality (pigs are flying) as for the last year they were probably the only ones through lockdown to be flying back and forth between factories during the pandemic and lockdown restrictions. the previous modules were made in china so they had no real control over the quality process. I know some people online mostly grown adult men over 50 ( mommy- they are destroying my beloved eurorack scene boohoo !!!!) don't like it but Behringer does have this luxury hence for the newbie, Behringer is a better shout any day of the week. I think they just drafted a name that meant something at one time in to buy quality Ronin but some people are easily swayed by this kind of marketing. I see Pittsburg stuff on eBay all the time. I think meh - a lot of money for something very very old and wonder if this is why the person is now trying to get rid of it.

-- greenfly

We get it, you had a bad experience with Cr8audio... but I had bad experiences as well, and with well-known manufacturers, yet you don't see me dissing on them everywhere I can, it's called restraint and perspective, you should try it some time.
And no, people hating on Behringer are not all 50+ white men in their man-cave trying to gatekeep the Eurorack niche, you've been pointed to the information before but chose to ignore it because that serves the rationale you use to justify buying it yourself... It's getting awkward.

--- Voltage control all the things ---

And no, people hating on Behringer are not all 50+ white men in their man-cave trying to gatekeep the Eurorack niche, you've been pointed to the information before but chose to ignore it because that serves the rationale you use to justify buying it yourself... It's getting awkward.

@toodee - I don't recall making any racial slurs. So predictable, I knew once I big up Behringer, it would trigger the likes of you. I was actually grinning when I wrote my little bracketed afterthoughts in. It's a tad hypocritical sounding off about Behringer and then lecturing others about restraint and perspective. Who is this 'We' you are referring to - is this some strange attempt to manufacture some virtual support from like minded haters so you can feel better about what you said. Such and such agreed with me so I must be right :). That's unfortunately the thought process you suffer from - it's called 'group think' - Go look it up .

Anyway this is the last posting from me on this thread - enough publicity from me. Feel free to have the last word on the matter lol.

A message to anybody getting into Eurorack and who took the time to read this. BUY CRE8AUDIO !!!!!!!

We get it, you had a bad experience with Cr8audio... but I had bad experiences as well, and with well-known manufacturers, yet you don't see me dissing on them everywhere I can, it's called restraint and perspective, you should try it some time.

-- toodee

Just for the record, I'm not a 50+ year old or a white man. This is probably the first post on here that I've seen that has anything to do with age or race. Can we keep it about the synths? I always thought of this site as some place we can all connect with our shared interest.

I've had a good time with this module. I'd recommend it to anyone getting in to Eurorack. The filter has a bit of a Moog sound.

just wanted to throw my two cents in.
i have a broken nifty case that im basicly probably going to be forced to throw in the garbage because I cant get any responce from Cre8audio whatsoever.
I recently also bought a brand new NiftyKeyz case that I'm thinking of calling the dealer I bought it from and asking if I can return it because of this.
Hands down the absolute worst customer service I have ever had.