Hello,

Apparently, the trend for custom panels is here to stay and expand, which is fine in itself, and not a problem at all, quite the contrary.
Another branch out of mainstream is the 1U high modules.
Now regarding Modulargrid's database, it's getting difficult and annoying to sort out all of these.

I suggest that alternative panels or modules are categorized as such.
I mean all variations of the "base" reference module.

On the search tool page, there would be a check box for alternative panels to be included in the search.
Another check box would allow 1U panels to be included in the search; right now you can search for the 1U but not exclude them from a search.

Another aspect to manage is the actual availability of modules.
It would be nice to know when a module is not produced anymore and only available on the second-hand market.
The manufacturer who provided his seal for a given module does know if he intends stopping the production.
Brands that have disappeared could also be easily identified.
Therefore, with this information, we would get:
- officially available
- officially discontinued
- availability unknown

What do you think?
Other improvements?

-- Zentek

I second this.
Also I would like to see a tag / attribute "is an expander for [link to module]"

Also I would like to see a tag / attribute "is an expander for [link to module]"
-- wiggler55550

Yep! Add that very useful feature too please.

Apparently, the trend for custom panels is here to stay and expand, which is fine in itself, and not a problem at all, quite the contrary.

most have no manufacturer attached and can be filtered out by unchecking "show exotic modules".

Another branch out of mainstream is the 1U high modules.
Now regarding Modulargrid's database, it's getting difficult and annoying to sort out all of these.

On the search tool page, there would be a check box for alternative panels to be included in the search.
Another check box would allow 1U panels to be included in the search; right now you can search for the 1U but not exclude them from a search.

Exclusion of 1U should be easy to do.
The thing with different faceplates and related base modules is more complicated.
There are problems to solve like "User X uploaded the base module, User Y uploaded a different faceplate. What happens if X deletes the base module."
But I see that something has to happen in this area.

Another aspect to manage is the actual availability of modules.

Yes, this should have been there from the beginning.

What do you think?

That are all good points. Most of them are already on the to do list. Time is just the factor.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

-- wiggler55550

I am always in for "flat" solutions. People could just write it to the module description and place the link there?
I mean, that is not a property we need to search for e.g. does someone need a "show all expander modules" function?

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Sorry for missing your answer and the late response.

I mean, that is not a property we need to search for e.g. does someone need a "show all expander modules" function?

-- modulargrid

Exactly that: A property to NOT search for .e.g., a possibility to exclude all expanders (and 1U and alt panels and whatnots)
Does that make more sense? (oh and thx a lot for your great work so far :-))

Sorry for apparently necroing this thread but I'd like to chyme in now that the brilliant panel swap option has been applied. I've been meaning to ask: is there a way we (as users) can start merging modules? Most of the times the different versions available only have panel/design as the main difference whereas all other characteristics remain intact (or should be equivalent).

I wouldn't mind helping reduce the clutter by merging some modules in one and being able to change the panel (as is already available).

Thanks