alt text

I’m a beginner in the world of eurorack hoping to get some advice on my newly acquired setup here. My knowledge of eurorack terminology and the module functions are very low, so please excuse my ignorance.

My goal is to use the neutron and/or another synth like the Behringer Model D as my sound source(s) sequenced by the Black Seq which would be triggered by the Dnipro Dot to play rhythmically. I’ll then want to feed the sound sources into the dual fx for some reverb and delay which I’d then like to output into headphones or my audio interface to record into my DAW.

Let’s say I wanted to sequence osc 1 and osc 2 of the Neutron separately to the Black Seq CV1 and CV2 and basically have channel 1 and 2 of Black Sequencer triggered separately by Dnipro Dot. What would be the best way to go about this? Are there any additional modules needed to achieve this? At the moment, I’m only hearing one or the other triggered by the Dot for some reason. Perhaps I have it patched incorrectly.

If I wanted to sequence the Model D and Neutron, then would I need an audio/cv mixer? I assume I need something to sum the two signals together into one output so I could then patch into FX and then an audio interface module of some sort.

What module would you suggest for tracking into my DAW and listening through headphones? I was looking at something like the Intellijel μJack. Would you suggest any better alternatives?

Grateful for any help I could get!

this user has left ModularGrid

A few suggestions:

1. Remove the Neutron from the case it takes up precious HP and better modules can be used for it on the side. You can chain the Neutron out of case.

2. Get a larger case at least a 12u or 14u case better. If you need compact, the smallest I would get would be something like a Doepfer 9u suitcase.

3. You want lots of support modules like VCAs, attenuators, sequential switch, matrix mixer, logic will really be central to a basic modular system.

4. The book Patch and Tweak is a must to beginners. It really helped me as a total beginner two years ago.

5. You need a good matrix mixer for what you want to do.

To do what you want also get a clock module like Pamela new workout. Having a central clock module will let you sync up the Dnipro dot and Black Sequencer and have more options like logic and so forth.

For sending audio out of the modular and into a DAW, you need either a eurorack mixer and audio interface OR you need to get a module like Expert Sleeper's CV to MIDI/USB interface to convert CV to line audio levels. Expert Sleeper's ES-9 module would do this for you. Actually I need to get one for my Doepfer monster case eventually as well.

My goal is to use the neutron and/or another synth like the Behringer Model D as my sound source(s) sequenced by the Black Seq which would be triggered by the Dnipro Dot to play rhythmically. I’ll then want to feed the sound sources into the dual fx for some reverb and delay which I’d then like to output into headphones or my audio interface to record into my DAW.

Let’s say I wanted to sequence osc 1 and osc 2 of the Neutron separately to the Black Seq CV1 and CV2 and basically have channel 1 and 2 of Black Sequencer triggered separately by Dnipro Dot. What would be the best way to go about this? Are there any additional modules needed to achieve this? At the moment, I’m only hearing one or the other triggered by the Dot for some reason. Perhaps I have it patched incorrectly.

If I wanted to sequence the Model D and Neutron, then would I need an audio/cv mixer? I assume I need something to sum the two signals together into one output so I could then patch into FX and then an audio interface module of some sort.

What module would you suggest for tracking into my DAW and listening through headphones? I was looking at something like the Intellijel μJack. Would you suggest any better alternatives?

Grateful for any help I could get!

-- Avesta

Black sequencer only has a clock input - so you can clock it from the dni pro and then use the internal per channel dividers to advance the sequences in the black sequencer - tbh, the dni pro is a bit superfluous in this set up - the black sequencer is very capable of doing all sorts of things - gate length per step, tieing notes/gates and playing different channels at different speeds etc

if you think you have it patched incorrectly maybe you could describe the patch - or better yet illustrate it in modulargrid - so we can take a look

mixer - just get a decent end of chain mixer that has send/return and headphones as part of the package

this way you can mix the original signals from the semis and layer in as much of the fx as you want - at the lower end a tesseract tex-mix master and 4*mono channels would probably work quite well - otherwise something like es9, which @sacguy71 suggested would can do the trick of both mixer and audio interface

most 1/2 decent modern audio interfaces should be able to cope with slightly attenuated modular level signals - so just a matter of watching your gain staging - levels not too high anywhere - and you should be fine to go straight into the audio interface from the mixers stereo outs

if you don't already have an audio interface (and want an external one instead of the es9) - go for one with at least 4 outputs - 2 for monitoring (these are usually copied to the headphone outs too) and 2 for sending audio back out to the modular - otherwise if you want to send audio back to the modular you won't be able to monitor through the audio interface - which may or may not be an issue for you, now, but next week it might be...

nb with the es9 - some people have issues on windows apparently, so if you're running windows you might want to do a bit more research than just simply reading the manual - works perfectly on macs from what I hear...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

You should keep the Neutron in its own case, giving you room for support modules which you will need.

How have you patched the Dot and the Black Sequencer? I don't have either, but I don't see a way of doing what you want to do with just these two modules. The BS expects a regular clock and has only one Gate In. With a VCA, you could drop out notes from the BS on low gate from the other Dot channel. Other sequencers would let you use a Dot channel as an irregular clock, but mostly only one channel, not two. It might make more sense to use the Dot separately on percussive voices, and the BS on melodic ones.

If you want to combine two or more audio signals, then, yes, you will need a mixer (perhaps more than one, depending on what you want to do), and there are many possibilities. The µJack is discontinued, but Intellijel makes the Outs module, and again there are other possibilities. I have personal experience with the ALM HPO and Befaco Out v3, and like both.

There are more modules you are likely to need, but it might be best to start using these while you keep doing research. Through use you may discover things you want to do and can look for ways to accomplish them.