hello community,
I've received a fantastic modular mixer from Feedback Modules, in the nae of MIX BX. It's an excellent mixer, so much that it has instantly joined my "Keepers" serie, in this episode 7th, we don't talk, and we see how "versatile" this amazing module can be.

to bad it dont have direct outs,so you can multi track record into DAW(like on the D.O.MIXX)

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

to bad it dont have direct outs,so you can multi track record into DAW(like on the D.O.MIXX)
-- Broken-Form

stackcables?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

-- Broken-Form

stackcables?
-- JimHowell1970

ahh yes,didnt think of that,been thinking about changing my D.OMIXX for this or the Tex mix

I've got a tex-mix & really like it - inexpensive, DIY able (panel furniture & headers only) and very good for the price - and the douts are a great idea - saves stackcables for other things!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I've got a tex-mix & really like it - inexpensive, DIY able (panel furniture & headers only) and very good for the price - and the douts are a great idea - saves stackcables for other things!
-- JimHowell1970

the only thing about the tex mix is that i heard there is some bleed through with the mutes

the only thing about the tex mix is that i heard there is some bleed through with the mutes

-- Broken-Form

there's a bit but as you can use the vcas on the mono channels it only really affects the stereo channels - & at least for me it's only really present on the returns - so you could just turn the sends down before muting...

there's a bit but as you can use the vcas on the mono channels it only really affects the stereo channels - & at least for me it's only really present on the returns - so you could just turn the sends down before muting...

-- JimHowell1970

And it's not like consoles are always going to work perfectly anyway. Back in the early 1990s and before, channel leakage is something that you had to watch out for, and it wasn't "NO leakage" back then, but "manageable leakage". I recall reviewing a Studiomaster Diamond 163 back in 1997 that had some very obvious leakage on high-level signals, and that was the sole flaw...otherwise, it was a killer little live desk.

And it's not like consoles are always going to work perfectly anyway. Back in the early 1990s and before, channel leakage is something that you had to watch out for, and it wasn't "NO leakage" back then, but "manageable leakage". I recall reviewing a Studiomaster Diamond 163 back in 1997 that had some very obvious leakage on high-level signals, and that was the sole flaw...otherwise, it was a killer little live desk.
-- Lugia

and even when recording bands in high end studios - there was always leakage on the microphones...
it's not the end of the world - & that's just what's supposed to be on the tape - there are many famous songs where there's an aeroplane flying over or a car driving by... big deal...

Exact-a-mondo, Jim...you learned to use the leakage and other garbage and accept that as something critical to your overall "sound".

Sam Phillips of Sun Records fame always used to get ripped on by local Memphis DJs for having 60-hertz hum on his records. But if you're cutting tracks from the likes of Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, and of course Elvis, you don't change the overall sound because clearly, it works. Plus, the very first mixing work I did back in Nastyville was on a now-coveted Audiotronics 16/8/2 desk that cross-channel leaked like a mo'fo. People into the vintage thing, however, have made those original desks into something of a spendy "cult" item. With leakage.

I had the TEX MIX and the master section, it's a nice little slution, but TM is a very bleedy and noisy module. The big difference with the Feedback one is the sound, the built quality and the overdrive possibilities.
And the aux are pre fader...

60-hertz hum on his records.
-- Lugia

also known as "warmth"... hehehe

I had the TEX MIX and the master section, it's a nice little slution, but TM is a very bleedy and noisy module.
-- -ADR-

mine isn't either...

how is that even possible mine used to bleed and a lot other people's TM too, and not yours ? same components, no ?

I don't know... I built mine (smd pre-soldered), but I'm sure Mangu's soldering is at least as good as mine, if you bought 'factory built'...

maybe my gain staging is better... maybe my hearing is worse (I'm 52, so possible)... maybe I don't run the output at a very high volume...

as I've said I only really notice bleed on the send/return - if channel send is up ad then I mute the channel - I can still hear the channel in the send - but this is to be expected when send is pre-mute!

Thanks for the details, mine was a second hand, no informations bout who made it, and I am not into soldering but it looked nicely build. Tho' a few people on some modular communities has the same results with theirs.
Very often, the "hiss" comes from the source, at my place bc I often use saturation or overdriven signals, that is where I use enveloped VCA just before the mixer's inputs, when needed, to get rid of the noise, when the muxer is quiet, that is a cool technique to get a clean-yet-overdriven signal. A bit off topic, sorry..

it looked nicely build.

that it looks nicely built (unless you are using a magnifying glass) is not a great indicator of well built!

Tho' a few people on some modular communities has the same results with theirs.

yes I know - however, I don't necessarily take a lot of notice - what someone hears as noisy - almost all analog is noisy compared to the mixer in a DAW!! - or 'unacceptable bleed - see above responses from both me and @Lugia - again compared to bleed on a DAW mixer (non-existant) is user perceived at best

Very often, the "hiss" comes from the source, at my place bc I often use saturation or overdriven signals, that is where I use enveloped VCA just before the mixer's inputs, when needed, to get rid of the noise, when the muxer is quiet, that is a cool technique to get a clean-yet-overdriven signal. A bit off topic, sorry..
-- -ADR-

as I said my gain staging may be different than yours... have you tried using the built in vcas?

Very often, the "hiss" comes from the source, at my place bc I often use saturation or overdriven signals, that is where I use enveloped VCA just before the mixer's inputs
-- -ADR-

Which is pretty much standard op procedure for performance mixer that have no VCAs over level, such as the MixBX, Cosmix, etc. This is one reason that I've been jazzed about Toppobrillo's MiniMix, because you can use some other VCA module as a "pre-level" going into the mixer ins, and then you also get the convenience of its two VCA panners. You just have to keep in mind that audio signals are best dealt with via exponential VCAs, as those are better at mimicking how acoustic devices decay. Of course, if you front-end this with linear VCAs, you can (if possible) use an exponential envelope generator to make those behave like they need to for audio.

true that, I do that very often (vca before the mixer ins).

true that, I do that very often (vca before the mixer ins).
-- -ADR-

Definitely the way to go...Jim's got his peeve about ute modules, while with me, it's functionality. And I like it when one module can take all sorts of control input to twiddle with its parameters, such as what you find with the heftier performance mixers. Something like Toppobrillo's Stereomix2, where you can CV level, panning, and AUX send per channel, in addition to the other functions. The TexMix still gives you the channel input VCAs, but it's more "hands on" minus the CV over panning and such. All a matter of taste and technique, and which of those works for you. But even something supersimple such as Doepfer's A-138s (a bigtime "sleeper" module if there ever was one...super functional, quite small, totally straighforward) can be made to whip out backflips depending on your "before" and "after" mixer strategies.

I use both the 1-138s and A-138n as sub mixers, esp. the "n" version as it's DC coupled. these are some f the very first modules I own an they still are of a great help, esp. the "n" version, which can handle adio and cv signal (not the "s", which deal with audio signals).
I'd love to see an iteration of the MIXBX with cv over the tracks level/pan/send for sure !

by the way I have also gave the Squeeze of Feedback a test in parallel compression taskes (on beats), and I am very pleased with it, I'd probably get second one for stereo stuff.