So I realized I need a tuner and would rather have one that goes in my (euro)rack.

I'm looking at the L-1 Digital tuner as well as the Audiothingies CED, and am leaning toward the CED due to it's impressive demo video and tiny footprint. However the L-1 seems slightly cheaper.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering if anyone can shed some light on why both of these are rated pretty "meh" on MG? The video of the CED going head to head with an Electro Harmonix tuner and being spot on makes me wonder if it doesn't deserve more than a 3.5ish rating?

Or can anyone suggest a different rack mount tuner they really like? Again, I'm looking for cheap and small.

Thanks!

First 'meh' is why take up rack space with a tuner? I use a Korg OT-120 Orchestral tuner and it's been absolutely great (no endorsement of Sweetwater implied):
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OT120?adpos=1o1&creative=55397627521&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=OT120&gclid=CIX31ovUqtQCFYlKDQod-AYL8w

Thanks for the link. I know of many well-reviewed stand-alone tuners already though and am set on a racked one. It's one less thing to forget to have to lug around for. I hear ya, just personal preference.

I mean 2HP (in the case of the CED) isn't gonna kill me. Just would like to hear how some people like it before dropping $ on it, if possible.

OR... you could get a tiptop audio smart VCO MkII and have a nice analogue VCO that can both measure & sync to frequencies?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tiptop-audio-z3000-smart-vco-mkii

OR... you could get a tiptop audio smart VCO MkII and have a nice analogue VCO that can both measure & sync to frequencies?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tiptop-audio-z3000-smart-vco-mkii
-- bubblefunk

Ah yes, I forgot about that, thanks

WOW! i actually helped someone, and i'm NOOB! i just know about it because it's in one or both top 100 lists and is in my fantasy rack. the measure & sync features are pretty handy, but you have to know your frequency to notes conversions, or at least 440Hz = A4

I added the L-1 tuner to my rack a couple weeks ago and can't believe I lived this long without it. Really helps that I can keep two different oscillators connected to it while I pass their signal on. I find it really useful to monitor my analog oscillators with the flip of a switch and confirm whether they are still in tune or need a little adjustment.
It's also nice that it offers different types of tuning so you can also tune external signals with it too, which is a big part of my setup.
I was using a tuner app on my phone before this, and the mic on my phone just made it really unreliable.

the measure & sync features are pretty handy, but you have to know your frequency to notes conversions, or at least 440Hz = A4

You can also display note values. Z3000 is a cool oscillator, but the tuner section is not very good. Too slow and not very precise, especially in the lower end.

huh... it must have been a different oscillator that i'm thinking of then as i read something about an oscillator latching onto simple waves in just 1 cycle. if you're just tuning, i wouldn't consider speed as critical as accuracy.

On MG it reads "processor that analyzes the frequency once per second". That is what I am experiencing, too. It's not easy to fine tune with a 1sec delay. It might be still useful but what I am saying is, there are better alternatives if you just want a tuner.Ymmv.
Other than that, sound is ace.

i could see how control to readout lag could be annoying. yeah... it drives me crazy when a browser lags and you can't frame text that's always jumping up or hiding under the table when think you got it. this is handy stuff to learn for sure.

along similar lines though, it drove me crazy having to wait for either the "strings to settle" or the tuner to lock on tuning a guitar and if memory serves me right, it took 2-3 seconds for the (cheap) analogue metered tuner to settle on each note, but i got used to the play... wait for it... then adjust game. external tuners can be very cheap.