The ModularGrid Unicorn Account

Today I introduce the Unicorn Account which is a payable upgrade for registered ModularGrid users.

Before you unpack your torches and pitchforks please read on:
In the last three years I have understand that a complete free an unlimited webapp comes with some significant problems.
And that's not only me doing an unpaid fulltime job.
The main problem is the excessive accumulation of digital garbage which eventually spoils the fun and value in use for everybody. You have mods in forums to care about such but that does not work on a web-based modular planner.

The Unicorn Account should address these:

• Satisfy the calls for even bigger Racks for the Pros while preventing the polluting of the database by some Newbs
  • Keep the amount of Racks at a healthy minimum, make browsing through the Racks interesting again.
  • Prevent the webspace been eaten by zillion rack screenshots of final_system(copy)(copy)(copy)(copy)
  • Better statistics, tame the need of users to build another Math-only Monsterrack
  • Better server performance for everyone. Better protection from DOS.
  • Bring in some cash, obviously.

Chances are you won't notice

The standard MG account will be always free and still lets you create 10 racks, each of the size of a massive Doepfer monster case! That should be more than enough for 95% of all MG users.

(Remember you can always copy modules in two opened browser windows with the c,p,x keyboard shortcuts.)

You won't lose what you already got

I thought a lot about to make this change happen without taking away what users already have.
The solution: If you already have a large or a lot of racks, you can still use them for free!
You just won't be able to resize your big rack and you can not create new ones if you are over the limit.

Read more about the Unicorn Account:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/pro_index

... and tell me what you think

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

To address the above bullet points, won't you need to clean up some of the "Main (copy) (copy) (copy) (copy) (copy)" entries?
I would think something like deleting ">10, not accessed in 1yr" racks would be acceptable.

To address the above bullet points, won't you need to clean up some of the "Main (copy) (copy) (copy) (copy) (copy)" entries?
I would think something like deleting ">10, not accessed in 1yr" racks would be acceptable.
-- Sleipnir

That's always a little problematic. Many of the racks screenshots are embedded in forums. Deletion would result in a lot of broken images which does not look good.
I delete older empty racks and unused anonymous accounts though.

I think what you are offering is more than fair. For the information and service you provide it is easily worth what you are charging. While I could probably get by with a free account, I'll pay the small fee just to support this excellent service.

I applaud you for not thinning out the screenshot database. I hate seeing broken links in forum posts.

I think what you are offering is more than fair. For the information and service you provide it is easily worth what you are charging. While I could probably get by with a free account, I'll pay the small fee just to support this excellent service.

Thanks!

I applaud you for not thinning out the screenshot database. I hate seeing broken links in forum posts.

Yes. Key strategy here is to slow down the growth of screenshot data through the limits in the standard account..

no torches and pitchforks here, happy to support your efforts. roughly $2/month is alright for those of us who try as they might just can't keep their setup small.

I also think this is quite fair. The free account offers enough for almost all situation and racks, i just like to plan little steps in the further development of my rack, so i copy them quite often ;)

1 year Unicorns, thank you all!

I announced the Unicorn Account last September 2014. That was an unrequested feature, obviously, but a necessary one. A lot of users chimed in and showed their support for the ModularGrid. With their hard earned cash, I am very grateful about that. That contribution allowed us to stay independent from investors and keep the platform as open as possible.

A glitch in the matrix

The standard account limits the amount of rack rows you can use. But there were many racks at the time which exceeded that limit already. Those racks could not be resized, but people could still add and arrange modules.

This caused two problems:

• there is a discrepancy in the code for racks created before and after Sept 04. I want to unify that and get rid of a zillion if and elses
  • it is unfair that new users have to pay for their large racks but the veterans even after a year can glitch through

The unpopular(?) fix

The solution I came up today is to let the old racks behave like the new ones, that is:
you cannot rearrange modules in big racks if you don't have a valid Unicorn Account.

I hope that is reasonable.

Seems reasonable to me! Thanks for all the free grandfathered in large rack glitch riding for the last year! ;-)

So how long does it take for my Unicorn to materialize? I sent my 22 bucks a few days ago now, and still can't expand my rack to its actual 200hp width. I promised those bucks a unicorn, and they are getting restless ;-)
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t448/ishkabbible69/misc_stuff/new%20rack%201.jpg

So how long does it take for my Unicorn to materialize?
-- ishkabbible

That is an automatic process that unicornifies you instantly.
Something went wrong, I pm you.

hi there,

just wondering if the unicorn account increases the maximum size of pedal boards too?

hi there,

just wondering if the unicorn account increases the maximum size of pedal boards too?
-- Iggy_ogg

yes, currently it increases max width from 820 to 1600 and max height from 400 to 1400.

-- Iggy_ogg

Yep. Racks, pedalboards, and "other things" can be substantially increased in size with a Unicorn account.

Hey MG! It’s been a few years and I was wondering if there are any plans to change the subscription service as it is now. I’d love a way to buy a “lifetime” pass for a reduced rate. I only use the site a few times a year to arrange things or add/delete a module here or there, I end up going a couple years before I’ll re-subscribe.