Hey all, I need some eyes on this. I'm leaving some room to add things that I haven't thought of or really want to add once I get used to this but do you see anything missing here? I won't be playing this live and it'll be part of my other hardware gear ecosystem so it doesn't need to stand on it's own. It's for generating cool patterns, textures, or single sounds to resample. I'll be using the Mimetic sequencer but occasionally will also use the Beatstep Pro - it will at least send clock when I'm using the Mimetic. Lastly, I also will be incorporating my DFAM, Nuetron, and Minitaur into this setup for additional voices, filtering and LFO options.

Thanks in advance!

What device(s) will be providing gates to step the Mimetic into its next position? Will you be using a reset gate and where will it be coming from? The Mimetic has an input for Next and Origin... next of course is the next step available (looping back to 1) while a trigger to the Origin immediately takes you back to 1. You'll need these two triggers/gates especially if you're using patterns that are less than 16 steps.

As far as "cool patterns" you can use a sequencer with a gate out for sure. But also check out Euclidian generators, random generators, modules like the Trigger Riot, etc. I find creating patterns indirectly (influencing a pattern rather than picking it) helps get me out of my creative box.

@Ronin1973 thanks for the super helpful questions. I was gong to use the Beatstep pro to send clock and gate info to the Mimetic, but maybe I need to think that through some more. I did toss a 2hp Euclidian generator in the rack too. I 100% agree with the idea that indirect pattern creation can lead to some inspiring ideas. That's what I'm looking for to complicate all the traditional sequencing available on my other devices. Thanks again for the advice.

The clock/gate question wasn't doubting your set-up. I just wanted to be sure you had some thoughts on where the clock/gate/trigger was coming from.

Clocks work great, but only for rhythms that are constant division (16th notes, 8th notes, etc.).

In the case of your Euclidian module. The clock goes in the clock input and then the output of the Euclidian to the Mimetic. Then you can set your ratios as well as your starting point and the Mimetic will follow the Euclidian module.

You will also want a reset from the Beatstep Pro to both modules. It can be something as simple as a 16th note played every measure, every 2 measures, every four, etc. The reset will make sure that the Euclid and Mimetic always start in the same place and reset so your pattern is consistent and stays that way.

AWESOME! That helps a lot and I wasn't catching any setup doubts but it did prompt me to make sure I was thinking about it correctly. I feel like the Clep Diaz can do some of this work too but I need to get more familiar with it. Thanks so much for responding with this detail!

Ricky Tinez has an overview of the Clep Diaz... I know... never ending responses to your post... but there's so much good information out there.

Ricky is THE MAN! Thanks for sending, I've seen him use it in a few videos but haven't watched this one yet! Cheers.