Hi, I currently have some desk top modular synths: moog werkstatt, m32, Grandmother, Lifeforms Sv-1, Make Noise 0-coast.
I would like to (eventually) expand their possibilities with some extra modules.
I am a fan of self generative Krell-type stuff.
In the jpeg link below you can see the types of modules I might be interested in. I'm not saying I want all of them, as there are some similar ones. But here's my thinking, I can use an oscillator from the desktop to go into a randomiser module.
Whilst the Grandmother has a random arp or sequencer and the 0-coast has a random clock function (I would like to continue using them too), I would like something extra to send an oscillator into for extra variation.
I would like a pitch quantiser to make the randomness more musical.
A mixer and a random sampler like Marbles.
A clock divider, sequence switch to trigger envelopes at different clocks?
And I added swirls and wave warping modules to change the wave forms.
A small rack with maybe only four or five modules might be ideal.
It would be my first rack and why I'm throwing out my vibe for feedback before I waste any money buying something I regret.
Any advice would be awesome.
Thanks for your time.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1151024.jpg

Well. You're on the right track.

A common timing source is a good first choice. A master clock could be something as simple as an LFO or a dedicated clock module. You can use a dedicated clock divider if you wish. But a good alternative would be a Pam's New Workout or a Temps Utile. They can divide (and multiply) a clock as well as perform other duties like trigger sequencing, Euclidean patterns, etc.

As far as mixers, you'll want at least two... both should be able to handle CV AND audio.

The quantizer is always a good move. So are effects like wavefolders, waveshapers, distortion, general effects (reverb, delay, etc.), and even distortion modules.

A dedicated sequencer to centralize control over all of your desktops would be nice as well... especially if you're performing or triggering things live.

Thanks for the feedback Ronin1973

Well. You're on the right track.

A common timing source is a good first choice. A master clock could be something as simple as an LFO or a dedicated clock module. You can use a dedicated clock divider if you wish. But a good alternative would be a Pam's New Workout or a Temps Utile. They can divide (and multiply) a clock as well as perform other duties like trigger sequencing, Euclidean patterns, etc.

As far as mixers, you'll want at least two... both should be able to handle CV AND audio.

The quantizer is always a good move. So are effects like wavefolders, waveshapers, distortion, general effects (reverb, delay, etc.), and even distortion modules.

A dedicated sequencer to centralize control over all of your desktops would be nice as well... especially if you're performing or triggering things live.
-- Ronin1973

you lost me at jpeg - post a link (zoom and mouse-over are really useful) especially as there are thousands of modules out there

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi JimHowell1970
hopefully this link works? https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1151024.jpg
I'm not sure how to insert a screenshot at the moment. I tried dragging and dropping one in several times but can only (hopefully) provide a link to a screenshot.
The idea is to use the oscillators, vcas, lfos, filters I already have in my semi modulars and incorporate them with random pitch generators, quantizers, wave shapers and a random sampler in a modular rack. I'd like to make more Krell self generating, less keyboard or sequenced music that doesn't use midi and uses cv instead. And I'm looking for any advice from people more knowledgeable than me before I spend money :).

no that's a jpeg - you need to copy and paste the url

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

ModularGrid Rack

Link works - thanks
There's quite a bit of duplication there

I would either get Marbles or Turing Machine/Clock Divider/Wobblebug/Quantizer - why? because Marbles does all these things - the only exception being processing audio - but you can use the random from Marbles to modulate the audio source instead - or if you desperately want to explore randomizing audio then get a wobblebug as well, later - so I'd get Marbles

I like to use a combination of Kinks, Links and Branches as utilties to expand Marbles (If you get one - get Kinks - you can get 7 related modulation outputs from a single source, with some self patching and stackcables) so I would get those next

I'd also add a Disting mk4 - as it's a great learning module, will show you the way to further modules, and will always be there to fill in when needed

I'd get a quad cascading vca instead of the matrix mixer (I'd get a matrix mixer too they are great - but in the future) - you may find very quickly you want a second one of these as they are so useful, for cv as well as audio - my pick here is Veils - it's simple to use and has a lot of gain available if needed

Then I would get Rings and Warps (and probably at least try parasites firmware on warps)

Then I would stop and see what else I needed - maybe follow disting - maybe a wogglebug NB if you want to use this for processing audio - you can't send the audio output through a quantizer to get it in tune (that's not how quantizers work) - it will just be what it is

Generative music normally requires a lot of plumbing (utility modules) and modulation - so you will probably want more of these - sequential switches, mixers, function generators, lfos, evelopes, lpgs, etc etc - for slowly evolving chaotic modulation the nlc triple sloth is hard to beat

As for cases - get a bigger one than you think you need - the tiptop Mantis is a great size and is usually the most economical case ($/hp) at the moment - behringer may change this with their larger case which is due soon, but the power may not be so good

That's great, thanks so much for taking the time for the clarification. I will definitely check out starting with a Mantis case and a Marbles. And I'm glad I joined this website.