ModularGrid Rack

Hello, everyone,

after quite some time with VCV, and reading hundreds of threads, posts and articles, I want to enter the world of real knobs and controls. I put this rack together, but honestly I'm torn which modules are really must-have and what is still missing.

With this rack I want to add new layers, textures, simple melodies and basslines, besides my DFAM and various synths - so it should be a starter (budget) allrounder rack, which is also suitable for a jam session on its own.
I'm mainly interested in the initial start with the rack, surely more modules, second voice, effects and modulators will be added later. (like the Disting and so on)

Especially in combination with the DFAM I'm not sure what the best modules are for the beginning, to experiment with them but still create good and rich sounds. Not to mention the choice of filters and VCO (any recommendations?) - the market is simply overwhelming. Unfortunately I don't have a shop near me to test modules.

I am interested in your help, experiences and some feedback.
thanks

Having done the exact same thing I can strongly recommend Pamela's New Workout (which could replace both the Trigg and the Quad LFO). This is more fun than having the DFAM be the master clock because Pam lets you drive the DFAM sequencer with more interesting rhythms. Combined with something like the Short Bus this is very good.

Also : Disting Mk4 is well worth its 4hp because it can do so many things.

thanks a lot @rossduncan . The Disting MK4 is definitely on my list and I will look into the Short Bus. I also added a Mimetic Digitalis for some interactive sequence action.
Any recommendations on another good small filter for this kind of a rack? The Forbidden Planet looks like a bang for the buck but I just don't like the look of it.

It's hard to argue against Mutable Instruments' Ripples for a good all-around filter. The Joranalogue Filter 8 looks really nice too.

Actually, my suggestion would be the Tiptop Forbidden Planet, cosmetic issues be damned. The price is excellent, it's very straightforward to use, plus hiding behind that panel is the craziness that IS a proper Steiner-Parker Synthacon VCF, but with the added fun of being able to input to more than one response curve at the same time. The original didn't let you do that, but it WOULD just about tear your ears off in extreme BP and HP settings...definitely a lead-voice screamer!

Thanks for your answers. I will consider the forbidden planet as well.
In general the rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper. It seems like a mistake to try putting a rack for everything together - every other minute I'm questioning my choices. I definetely have to deep dive in some modul manuals to see if they really fit what is in my head.